S * I * N * G * L * E * T * R * A * C * K

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by inte, Nov 19, 2006.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    I've spent a major portion of my riding in Baja this year. In an ironic twist, one of the few weekends I didn't ride Baja was when most of the riding population headed down there.

Instead, I chose to head in the exact opposite direction...

Rode a trials event...

[​IMG]

Then went to test break in my new KTM 450 XC-W :D :D :D

No better way to do that than 50 miles of empty, pristine singletrack.

Unbelievable ... couldn't imagine more perfect trails or more beautiful scenery to try out a new bike ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come ... uploading pics!
  2. Salt Lick

Salt Lick Weissbiermann

Oddometer:
    Awesome! See this is what I want to do but for the moment have neither the right bike nor the right skill set to do it. My wife exclaimed that she had no idea that I wanted to ride trails. :huh:D
  3. inte

Oddometer:
    So I picked up this bike a few days ago.

It's really, really nice.

Before I so much as hit the starter button, the stock tank was replaced, hand guards, pipeguard, radiator guards, and skidplate were installed, and the thing was loaded onto a trailer, ready to head to it's first break in ride.

I had a trials event this weekend & figured it only made sense to bring this & get a couple hours on it so I can do an oil change - little did I know I'd end up exploring what is some of the most amazing riding terrain I've seen yet.

I had no trail map - found an information kiosk & snapped a pic of the map displayed there so I could scroll around on the camera's display if I needed to reference anything while on the trail.

For lack of information if nothing else ... I was off...

[​IMG]

The hills await...

Pre post-script - New bike purchase ... you'll have to cut some slack as there's a lot of bike pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The very first trail I hopped onto was not what I had intended to do (based on the map & direction from a guy at the staging area) - turns out this trail was pretty epic in it's own right ... I'd end up doing the hellish climb that was the intended trail later ... :evil

[​IMG]

This trail started good...

[​IMG]

...and only got better (note singletrack winding off in the upper-right, then cutting back in across the pic & off the left side of the frame):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, the 450's motor & suspension leave nothing to be desired ... but I've only got 2.7 hours on the thing as I write...

Hopped up onto this rock for a photo op...

[​IMG]

And found out the front brakes work pretty good too. The drop on the other side could have been consequential. I'll wait until after the Lafferty school to try this nonsense...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For now ... I've got a little over 3 gallons worth of exploring to do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the only other guys I saw riding the entire day. Not the only other people I saw ... just the only other's I saw riding...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw this river down in the valley & decided to try & find a trail down to it.

[​IMG]

Found it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In short order I realized that I had been in street-legal/closed territory for the past several miles ... (eek). I turned around & decided to backtrack to the last surely-legal spot I remembered ...

but that would not be the end of the lawbreaking for the day.

Posit: It is generally a more grievous offense to take one's non-plated dirtbike on the freeway as opposed to a jeep road...
  4. inte

Oddometer:
    Sig fixed...
  5. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    :tb

:lurk
  6. inte

Oddometer:
    Note trail where I'm headed along the bottom of the frame...

[​IMG]

The switchbacks were pretty tight & dropped quick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing too treacherous... but a drop off some of these trails could leave bike & body worse for wear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The singletrack was only interrupted by pristine fireroad, complete with water crossing.

[​IMG]

I think some of the trails I explored were remnants of past races ... faint, no tracks, eventually fading out completely...

[​IMG]

Eventually I crested a peak & caught some views...

[​IMG]

However this trail led me straight down to the 2-lane highway. I still had to get some time in on the Gas Gas before the event, so I burned pavement for a few miles & hopped back onto a trail I knew was further down the road.

[​IMG]

Once back on the trail proper, I decided to check out the original loop that was recommended. It features a climb.

[​IMG]

Earlier in the day a bunch of the masters/expert class trial riders went out to do this thing. To give you an idea of the steepness (masked by the camera) only one of them made it up.

Heading down, even on the trials bike, both brakes are at full lock & the bike just keeps sliding.

It's a steep grade. Rocky, and pretty loose.

[​IMG]

The one guy that made it up earlier that day was on a 4-stroke trials bike. There must be something to the 4-stroke on this hill ...

I went up & shot a pic from the top with the 450 :D

[​IMG]

To be sure, it's wasn't the cleanest effort. Three tries. The third try I got much higher than any of the previous before ... parking.

[​IMG]

No reason to go this high & not continue. Dropped the bike into 2nd & just started from this point. It was almost baffling where the KTM was finding all that traction, but it felt like riding a slingshot to the top.

Had to park it up a bit as there was a descent amount of coolant streaming down the cylinder...

[​IMG]

Nearly 2.5 hours. I'd have just over that by the time I got back to camp.

Mission accomplished - it was back to the truck to prepare for the trials event the next day ...

Headed home from a great weekend.

[​IMG]
  7. inte

Oddometer:
    2.7 hours of riding time ... over 50 miles ... never covered the same trail twice :ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. kampton

kampton Can't sit still...

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club my friend! I'm drooooooling over those trails!!!
  9. inte

Oddometer:
    Well let's go!!!

So where's your bike/truck adventure report? :evil
  10. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You gonna go to the D37 H & H next Saturday with surfphoto and crew?:ear
  11. RxRick

RxRick Seeker of Trout

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed it - where is this place?

--RxRick
  12. texastattoo

texastattoo Lottery Retirement Plan

Oddometer:
    just when I convinced myself I was a decent rider with a few skills.....you had to knock me back down with that pic with the bike on top of the rock.....:eek1

great photos!!

How did you do in the trials event?
  13. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose StuffThisI'mOff4aRide

Oddometer:
    Great photos and report...
    Nice panoramics :clap
  14. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Sensational photo`s mate.. Nice bike too :thumb
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awsome:clap
  16. inte

Oddometer:
    Didn't know about "surfphoto & crew", but yes I'll be out there with a group of guys. It's a hare scramble if I remember right ... we're planning on bringing out trials bikes, racing, then going & riding trials for the rest of the day. I think Jake is planning on going as well.
  17. inte

Oddometer:
    Nope you didn't miss it ... I didn't say :evil

Not like I have to ... just look at ATATrials.com at the schedule of events & you'll see the date...
  18. inte

Oddometer:
    Results will be on ATATrials.com. BUT ... a couple more finishes like this & I'm starting to eye the advanced class ... :evil that's where the serious stuff begins IMO...

Even with basic trials skills, handling the big bikes becomes a LOT easier. If you don't have a trials bike handy you could always drop Neduro a PM to set up a clinic in your area :thumb.

Riding up rocks like the one you mentioned makes for good photos, but is actually not that difficult in reality 'cuz you've got virtually unlimited traction.

Even the 950s like this stuff...

[​IMG]
  19. praveenkm

praveenkm Speed Demon

Oddometer:
    :eek2 tooo good :clap:clap
  20. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:

I am sure you know ....

Next step is JD Jetting ... it will cure the blue pipe and spitting coolant. Those bikes are lean from the factory.

Didn't sell the Yam yet??

I ended up at the finish line in La Paz photoing the winning bikes as they came across the line for Honda, had to skip the trials event.

Kinda of an extension of Zens question ... why a XC over a EXC which would have come w/ a plate ???? Your probably going to mod the suspension anyway ... and thats the only real difference ????