S.L.U.Ts ride New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PackMule, Apr 8, 2006.

1. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    The Seacoast League of Unpretentious Trailriders made their maiden outing today. I had a hell of a good time, and I hope that it was just the beginning of a long, SLUTty summer... :pimp

Prologue

This whole ride came about as a result of a post that Mr Ray made over in east. My Saturdays are tight due to childcare duties, but I offered to showcase some of the local riding spots if people wanted to come on up.

Finding several gullible FF's willing to take me up on my offer, I decided it best to do a little scouting mission in order to evaluate trail conditions ahead of time. Here are my notes to the main thread:

This scouting trip was last weekend. The bike had swallowed several gallons of stanky mud bog backwash, and work schedules conspired to keep me from fully attending to the bike during the interceding week's time.

Now, I should mention that in addition to being a relative n00b to dirtriding, I'm also an average wrench, at best. That may be being generous. Anyway, I didn't necessarily let on to my fellow SLUTs (that's my moniker for the group, by the way -- I just made it up so that you'd click on this report :evil Now that I've coined it, though, it's here to stay) that the MiniMule wasn't a fully operational battlestation. In actuality, it wasn't operational at all. I didn't want to spoil the party on the off chance that I happened to miraculously revive her, though. :D

So, at midnight last night, I handed baby duty off to Mrs. Packmule, who had just returned from her paying job (no, she's not a SLUT -- she works in an ER), and set out into the garage.

Some people choose Christ, some Allah, and some still, Buddah. But for the lowly shadetree mechanic, there is but one truth -- that proffered by some anonymous Japanese technical manual writer: When all else fails, Assembly Reverse of Disassembly :dood Like all religous principles, only the rightous can walk the path... :pope

After lots of swearing, and a couple of beers, the MiniMule finally fired to life around 0130. By the time things were buttoned back up, I was headed to bed around 2am -- plenty of snooze for a 0830 start time. :freaky
  2. sireland67

sireland67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a good ride until the end.
  3. PackMule

Oddometer:
    The Main Event

Despite my most dilligent attempts to ready everything last night, the appointed meeting time of 0830 came and went -- with me still at home. Good thing I live a scant 5 minutes from the Dunkin Donuts where the rest of the guys were congregated. I guess that's the good thing about being the group leader -- you know they're not going to leave without you... :devildog

I pulled in at about 0840 under gray skies (all you California report type people with your blue skies won't find any of that here. Of course, I'd rather have gray skies that Gray Davis -- but that's another matter). After fueling, I hustled inside to find the other SLUTs BS'ing and trying to look generally adventurly. Is adventurly a word? :dunno It is now.

I apologized profusely for my tardiness (they'll grow accustomed to it by summer's end (not Summer's Eve -- that's douche you douchebag)) and introductions were exchanged. In attendance we had:

Me, Packmule (KLR250)
    Mr. Ray, the progenitor of the thread that started the ride (DR650, old school)
    BitterJoe (DR650, new style, and pimped)
    Beez (Some KTM 6xx bike that made him look the Biz, or mabye it was the KTM jacket?)
    Madtowner (1150GSA, put us pussies to shame)
    Jay (KLR650, the wheelie'ing kind)

FugginA gas is getting expensive. Good thing I don't need much of it.
    [​IMG]

The last time several of them would be upright
    [​IMG]

After Mr. Ray chugged down a coffee (curiously, he'd be the first to need a pee break...) we set out for Birch Rd. This was a generally dirtn00b leaning group, except for Beez and Mr. Ray, so I thought we'd go to an area where people could play around for a bit and I could get a feel for how dirty the SLUTs could get on this outing.

One end of Birch Rd eats Landrovers, doesn't it Mudhen? We went the other way. :nod
    [​IMG]

Paying homage to drowned Rovers
    [​IMG]

Joe, gettin' to it
    [​IMG]

Madtowner, freeing his beast. On street tires.
    [​IMG]

Beez -- lookin' the Biz-nis. I swear it's the jacket.
    [​IMG]

Jay, first time in the dirt. Looking solid.
    [​IMG]

Joe, starting what would become a habit. Ever the Botanist.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. PackMule

Oddometer:
    In an eerie bit of foreshadowing, Mr. Ray was commenting that he really should have sorted his paperwork before starting the season. Paperz? Ve need to zee your paperz, pleez. By papers, apparently he meant the little things. Like registration. And inspection. And a license (though he was quick to add that one is allowed to ride for 3 years in Pennsylvania with a permit. But he lives in Massachusetts now. :scratch). Eh, whatever. We're going to be in the woods most of the morning, anyway. Nobody will be asking for your Paperz. (can you hear the footsteps coming?)

Of course, it wouldn't be a SLUTs event, if there weren't a problem with someone's rubber. In this case, it'd be our whipping boy, Ray. He was a little soft up front (don't go there). Several of the guys offered to help with their Sweedish Pumps (it's not my bag, baby) ,er, CO2 cartridges, but we decided to just buzz back to my house for a quick fix, and leave the trail repair goods for future contingency.

After returning to the group, we headed to Diamond Hill Road, site of the MiniMule swamping of the week before. Now I knew where to turn around... :norton

Look at that back tire on the GSA. Balls. (either he had 'em, or we didn't)
    [​IMG]

Give 'er some!
    [​IMG]

Mr. Smooth, Beez
    [​IMG]

They didn't seem to see what the big deal was... Swamp schmamp.
    [​IMG]

Thusfar, I had been very impressed with Madtowner and the GSA. Frankly, I expected him to sit out most of the trailie stuff that we'd been on -- but he ate it right up. Sweet! Time to kick it up a notch. We crossed Rt125, and banged into the woods on a 4wheeler trail. Again, Madtowner wasn't more than 30 seconds behind the little bikes. :bow

Showing those mountain biking skillz. In spades.
    [​IMG]

Jay
    [​IMG]

Our erstwhile hero, Madtowner
    [​IMG]
  5. PackMule

Oddometer:
    After another bit of trail, we emerged in the backside of a new housing development. We openly lamented this trend in the Northeast -- prime riding areas being swallowed up by McMansions. To be honest, I'm not sure which is worse -- actually losing the physical space, or the influx of neuvoriche yuppies intolerant of "hearty" activities (off-roading, hunting, whathaveyou). :cry Better enjoy it while you can.

We continued on to what I would consider the highlight of the ride. A contiguous stretch of Class VI (discontinued) road of substantial length (for suburbanizing New England). Lets get it on! :clap :freaky

A welcome sign
    [​IMG]

Looks fine to me!
    [​IMG]

Here they come. Ready the EMP.
    [​IMG]

Joe and Ray
    [​IMG]

Krautractor
    [​IMG]

Kawitractor
    [​IMG]

Your humble narrator. Water was flying everywhere! Too bad temps were in the 30's :vardy
    [​IMG]

Mr. KTM, trying to keep his tootsies dry.
    [​IMG]

Joe, you got a permit for that lumber operation?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really have to say that I have a totally newfound respect for the BMW GS. Madtowner took this thing everywhere that we went on the smaller bikes, and with street tires on it to boot. I'm not sure whether that's a testament to his ability, the bike's ability, or the fact that the rest of us are apparently pussies. I think if he put a set of knobbies on this bike, he could pull stumps with it. :eek1 To be fair, I think the difference in weight and effort shines through after the course of many miles -- he was beat as we neared the end of the ride, while on the 250, I was fresh as... well, as fresh as I was when we started. But on a section by section basis, I was astounded at what was possible. Bravo. :clap Oh, and Mudhen, I think your Tiger would have been safe. :D
    [​IMG]

I thought you said we were going to the Bahamas? Jay and Madtowner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. dillon

dillon Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer:
    Great pics, looks like a blast!
  7. PackMule

Oddometer:
    At this point, Ray, Beez and I ducked out for a quick out and back "hero" stretch. Not that it was all that technical, but enough that the other guys decided on a quick break. Of course, Madtowner was proving again and again that what I thought was "interesting" riding was relatively straightforward. This section, though, there was a gap that I wasn't sure the GS could fit through. Literally. :huh

Beez, crossing the brook. Brrrr. :vardy
    [​IMG]

Beez, setting it up.
    [​IMG]

Shooting the gap.
    [​IMG]

Wide enough for GS jugs? You be the judge.
    [​IMG]

Playing with the step-off. Da Beez.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Ray.
    [​IMG]

After rejoining the group, the trail found us trailing down a creekbed for a bit. Fun. Of course, water flowing downhill must accumulate at the lowest point... :wink: Jay soon found out the easiest way to make a KLR wheelie. Swamp it full of water, and have your riding mates tip it on end to drain it out! :freaky

[​IMG]

Jay: What the hell did I get myself into? Nate: Where the hell were these goons when I swamped my bike?
    [​IMG]

After getting Jay's bike fired back up, our morning of glory was drawing to a close. Fatigue was starting to creep into the mix, and I had a hot date with a 3 month old to get to (okay, so Mrs. Packmule had to go to work to support my motorcycling habit). The trail deposited us on a previously traversed section of dirt road, and we stopped at the end to take stock of the day's toll.

Madtowner's rubber. Get that boy some TKC's! How'd those lights survive? :scratch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crash bars, earning their namesake. I remember the rock he hit, cause I kicked it on the way by.
    [​IMG]

Just after rejoining the pavement, we pass a police cruiser headed the other way. I'm not concerned, since we're only going 20mph or so, but pay keen attention since I see his brakes light up as soon as he passes. :shog Hmm. We'd been riding in a legal area, and hadn't hooliganized really at all today. :augie Sure enough, though, he flipped the blues and came through the group and pulled over in front of me. 'Aight. No harm, no foul, right...?

[​IMG]

Him: You guys been up on Deerborn Rd.?

Me: Ahh... (answer carefully, now, Junior) I'm not sure the name of the road we were just on...

Head back to the fork, take a right?

Ah, yep. Why?

You guys loop through there earlier, too?

Ah, yep. Why?

We got a complaint that some dirtbikes were racing up and down the street :nono

<shaking head innocently> These are streetbikes, sir... :wink:

Well, the guy who called doesn't know the difference between dirt bikes and dualsports. You guys all registered and stuff?

Yes, sir. (uh, except maybe for Ray...)

Great. I just need to see your licenses to verify who you are and that we talked. Just take a sec.

:whip

The usual suspects:

Joe. Licensed, Inspected, Ready to rock.
    [​IMG]

Beez. My KTM duds will get me out of this mess, again.
    [​IMG]

Madtowner. How much do you think this BeemerWidget costs?
    [​IMG]

Ray. Fuck, I'm going to jail. (direct quote, per Joe)
    [​IMG]

Jay. Waitaminute, where the fuck is Jay? How'd he manage to avoid this mess? Being last does have its benefits... :fyyff

Five minutes become ten, and I'm starting to get concerned. Maybe the grumpy FF who called us in is coming down to ID us? Madtowner offers me his phone to call Mrs. Packmule so I can tell her that I'm running late. No thanks, man. I'll be in enough trouble without telling her the cops are involved! No sense turning my kitchen pass into a warrant... :deal

I'm about to ask the officer if there's a problem, when he steps out of his cruiser.

So, Ray, do you have a motorcycle license to go along with this one?

Ray: uh, well, you see, I have a Pennsylvania permit, but just moved to Massachusetts, and, uh... (hickory dickory dock, the mouse jumped up the clock; and if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle)

The officer hands out the rest of the licenses, and takes off with a word to keep the speeds down on Deerborn Rd and avoid Mr. Peeve. You got it! :freaky

With just minutes to spare, I direct the rest of the SLUTs back to the rally point, while I make tracks for home. I had a hell of a good time, guys. Thanks for coming up/down! I'm ready and willing, whenever you're able to do it again!

My babes were waiting for me.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all you FF's out there for reading along. Hope you enjoyed it.

This has been a Tale of the Mule production :mulie
  8. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs Supporter

Oddometer:
    Double good job Nate!
    Excellent slew of pictures. That's the hardest thing for me, stopping to take pics. Funny all the way around.
    :super :super

Nice pair of beauties! I can smell that sweet baby smell too!:D
  9. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Excellent report :thumb
  10. dgriss1

dgriss1 mountain to medicine man

Oddometer:
    glad you had fun man but I grew up in NH from 2-25 yrs of age and lived with class V and VI roads all around our farm. A couple things:
    -if they say closed, they are closed for a reason.
    -you want your wells to keep providing you with water-respect the watershed and creeks-driving on creekbeds is sort of B.S. unless doing a quick river crossing
    -when the roads are that muddy in the spring-all you are doing is destroying them. Let them dry up a bit so the ruts dont get waste high. It ruins it for other types of users and destroys town roads.

Sorry for the downer but we are all part of the local NH environment and depend on it. Behavior like this and disrespect will only shut down access to motorized users and it wont just be the fault of newcomers.

beautiful baby

dave
  11. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    WOW, must be nice to be a S.L.U.T.
    Awesome report though. saved all the pics. :wink:
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride, report and pics! :thumb

:clap

Thanks for sharing! :super
  13. bitterjoe

bitterjoe killing the fatted calf

Oddometer:
    Again, great ride PackMule. :freaky Had a wonderful time meeting up with all you guys. Seemed like the pace was just right for all of us. Well, maybe Beez would have gone twice as fast on the KTM without us. :evil I'll be sure to bring my timber harvesting permit next time. :D
  14. gts

gts Bark Buster

Oddometer:
    That was a cold day to get wet... I'm surprised you guys weren't breaking ice.

I'll bet mr. peeves was only pissy because his land rover got stuck :D I don't think you had too much to worry about when you got stopped... the real "usual suspects" have no registration, no ID, no beards, no glasses... oh and they're "usually" about 20, 30 years younger? :lol3 A street plate is getting to be more or less mandatory for off road riding in NH - thanks for the post.
  15. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    :clap :eek1 good job on the report!!! the SLUTs rule!
  16. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Great report PackMule, and muchos gracias for leading the way. I had a great time an it was fun to meet everyone. :freaky

Meeting point. Everything is too clean.
    [​IMG]

Our fearless leader, getting his drink on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Madtowner.
    [​IMG]

Nate and the Mini Mule. Sorry about the focus.
    [​IMG]

JMartin pre-wheelie.
    [​IMG]

Just look at that tire spinnin'!
    [​IMG]

Puttin' Ewan and Charlie to shame.
    [​IMG]

BitterJoe throwing a nice wake. He made it through fine.
    [​IMG]

Jay, not so much.
    [​IMG]

Ooops!
    [​IMG]

At this point I think Madtowner was just glad to have a break, even if it was sponsored by the police.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the photos are here, but some are not in focus. https://beez.smugmug.com/gallery/1346411/1 Thanks again guys! :freaky
  17. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of those pictures came out really great. Thanks for the documentation guys!!

When are we riding again??

How about the weekend after easter or something??
  18. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    great narrative. you guys have issues.

the reason they make dual sport tires is that they grip real well on leaves.

like the leaves that surround that puddle.

you know there is no shame to riding around those puddles.

when temps are in the 30's.

lunatics.

[​IMG]
  19. Mudhen

Mudhen Foul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :stfu

You must be a snowmobiler. Those f'in losers.

Class VI is class VI all year long. Not just when it's dry. And it's pretty much all we have left here in the southern part of the state and we're losing them to development fast.

Eco-freaks and land owners shut areas down because it's there, period. Not necessarily because someone is abusing it. Around here more often than not when you see an area closed there's a brand new house or development right next to it. F'in selfish f'in losers...the class VI or trail was there first! Build your f'in house somewhere else if you don't like it.

This year I'm going to make a conscious effort to scout every spur off every road even if it comes out in someones yard. And if they don't like it, f'em. Put a f'in sign up. That's the way the law should read, anyway.

I just wish I could turn my bike around by myself...it would make getaways easier :lol3

Oh ya...I've been in NH from 0-40...BFD...
  20. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    I rode around (or skirted the edge) of most of the puddles.* I'm a native SoCal boy and moved to New England in aught three so water scares the bujeezus outta me. :eek1 See, H20 has to be imported there so it's one of the off-roading skills I am not comfortable with. I'm getting better with water and this ride was good for that. A few times I'd watch PackMule or whoever was in front of me go right through the middle of the water and if they did OK, I'd follow their line. The rest of the time I'd take the chicken (smart:evil ) line.

*puddle (NE) = pond (SoCal), Pond (NE) = lake (SoCal):lol3 :lol3