S.W. Florida rides

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by DualSportDad, Aug 1, 2008.

1. xbok

xbok Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. TomSummerfield

TomSummerfield Orange Blooded

Oddometer:
    Anyone doing the Touratech Rally west from here? Its a long haul but would be good to see some of my florida riders.
  3. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. xbok

Oddometer:
    No issues at all but a bunch of trails were closed. I should also mention, I only rode the northern section of the WMA so I can’t say what the rest of the place is like for now.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  5. Downeyman

Downeyman Saddle up bitches, let's ride!

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the Okaloacoochee Slough a few times and it's actually one of my favorite places down here. Dirt, Hardpack, sand, gravel, double tracks and a few single tracks. Last time I was there was in February this year and a few trails on the south end were closed-ish... I've never seen a ranger there but always paid the small fee at the iron ranger anyways.
    The Spirit of the Wild area is just west of it and also worth a ride through.
  6. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    So Okaloacoochee Slough is OK to ride in? Anyone riding this weekend? Have trailer and CRF250L, will travel from Broward County.
  7. MichScott

MichScott n00b

Oddometer:
    Xbox, thanks for posting this ride! Gave me a wild hair to head out there this morning. Sic Island was open, rode that, not too much water.
    Also rode North loop from the west entrance. I hit an open gate at the north end of the road. I kept on going, lots of water. No other tracks on the road, truck or cycle. Two track with some increasingly deep ruts hidden under the water. Finaly turned around when I couldn't see the end of the last area. Sun was getting hot and didn't feel like exhuming the Himalayan from a crevasse with only mosquitoes to help...
    Question for you all that know the area is, will that trail connect back with the paved access road? Thanks
  8. xbok

Oddometer:
    If you find out about the connecting road, let us know.
  9. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    I think I'm going to sell my CRF250L and get a vstrom. I'm thinking a 1000, but I might consider a 650; ABS is a requirement. If anyone has a lead let me know (beyond Craigslist; I'm already looking there). I want to sell the CRF first, of course, but I am on the lookout. I think I imagined much more challenging terrain here when I bought the CRF, but, honestly, there is nothing that requires a bike like this anywhere near me. Perhaps 4+ hours away, but not here. Day to day I think a big ass street-oriented touring/adventure bike is going to be a better fit. The strom can definitely handle any of the roads or trails I've seen so far easily. What I want is the comfort at speeds 75+ mph. All these farm roads down south have fairly high speed limits and I would not need to trailer unless I'm going really far north or at all.
    sshbsn and Ginger Beard like this.
  10. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ That is why my brother and I bough GSA's.. Nothing down here that is a challenge to ride these big bikes dirt wise..... Plus the extra power makes getting in and out of traffic a breeze too... YMMV
    RiderForge likes this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    There's nothing south of Lake O that can't be done on a bagger to be honest.
    rider1150gsadv, sshbsn and RiderForge like this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Meant to ask, are you buying new? If so check out the latest CB500x as well. Not as roomy as a vstrom but quite a bit more nimble.
    RiderForge likes this.
  13. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    I'm going used. The price on a used strom is just too low to pass up. I'm also leaning more towards the 1000. Every 650 or smaller bike I've ever owned felt too small and underpowered on the highway for my preference. I'm reluctant to try another 650. I'm only 6'1" tall but I've got a 36" inseem. The only "good" highway experience I've ever had was on my gsx-r 750 and vt1100. I've owned a lot of 650s and was never totally satisfied. Being nimble is great but my riding style has changed as I get older. Plus I'm up for the challenge of making a fat pig work offroad or handle well on the street. Gotta have goals!
    rider1150gsadv and Ginger Beard like this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I don't think that you can go wrong with either Strom. Good luck on the sale of your CRF.
  15. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you posted this! I decided exactly that and sold the klr, bought an old road king. And you know something? You are right, I still ride the same places I used to.

F32038FA-658D-4550-8788-060BA30E0A34.jpeg
    rider1150gsadv and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. TypeRated

TypeRated Airborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just moved the family down to North Port from Owensboro, KY. Did it on a whim simply because I got tired of being cold in the winter. Only been here 3 months, but I love it so far. Just don’t have anyone to ride with!
    Who else is down this way?
  17. VOLdog

VOLdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a motorcycle friendly room to rent, inlaw pool house or garage appartment.