S. Wisconsin or Buff. Range this weekend ?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by The Fist, Aug 10, 2004.

1. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Just a quick thought---

Camp at my farm in Delafield, WI (off 94 & Hwy C) Saturday night; ride Madison area dirt roads, etc. on Sunday -- Dual purpose or trail riding...

Any possible takers ? We could ride Saturday as well if people are available...

If not Wisconsin, howabout Buff Range on Sunday ?
  2. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun but I'm heading to Atlanta Ga today pickup my daughter and her broken vehicle.

Have fun....
  3. katoom525

katoom525 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could be there Sunday AM. I'll bring the doughnuts. Do I ride the 525EXC, or the 950 Adventure? What type of trails etc. are we talking about?
  4. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding 2up to Wisconsin on Sunday to the state fair. McDson's band is playing and there's a bus for the kids. Thats our plan if the weather holds out.
  5. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Well... I havent really looked into detail what sort riding is up in Wisconsin but I was looking at pages 33-35 in the Delorme Gazetteer...Looks like gravel mainly, so if we decide to head up north, either bike would be excellent-- Ill be on my DRZ no matter what (only one bike in my stable)....

I still have to put on blinkers and such before sunday... Wisconsin would actually be a much better two day ride so maybe we should start thinking about Buff Range... Im up for either one really, so gimme some feedback people about your preferences...
  6. katoom525

Oddometer:
    Let me know, whats up. I just want to ride. I could bring my son to an off road park. Not that I have to bring him he is 19, but has no M license.
  7. katoom525

Oddometer:
    Where is that located. Is that in Ottawa? I have been to the fox valley off road park, is that the same?
  8. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    http://buffalorange.tripod.com/
  9. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Alrighty--- Having just spent the last few hours at Motojoe's preparing my DRZ for street use, I must say that Wisconsin looks like the place to be...

The weather looks perfect ('round 72 degrees) and Im pretty excited...

Here's the plan --

Motojoe and I (and maybe a few others) will camp at my farmhouse in Delafield, WI (on Hwy C right off 94) on Saturday night. Anyone is welcome to join us on saturday as we plan on getting an early start on Sunday. BUt, please, don't be discouraged from coming if you cannot camp on saturday night. Delafield is about 1.5 hours (94north/west to 894 to 94west to Hwy C) from the N. Chicago 'burbs and could be done quite easily on sunday morning.

Our plan is to explore the country roads located just west of Madison. I don't think we'll be getting into any singletrack so all larger dual=purpose bikes would work fine.

I will be trailering to the farm and will have extra space for one bike should someone want to trailer back with me toward Chicago come sunday evening.

I would like to start riding 'round 7:00am but will be happy to wait an hour or so for those coming from other places on Sunday morning.

I encourage everyone to camp out on Saturday but understand if you can't make it until Sunday am....

If anyone knows of any excellent riding 'round Madison, please, chime in and tell us. I only have the Gazetteer and have little experience riding in that area so Im open to suggestions.

Howabout a roll call ?

In - Me, Motojoe, and ... ?
  10. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    Take Pictures, Sorry I can't make this one... sounds like fun.
  11. MarathonMan

MarathonMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fist -

I highly recommend Highway 60 between Sauk City and Spring Green. It's a 20 mile stretch of twisty pavement that, if I remember correctly, has no towns, lights or stop signs along the way. It parallels the Wisconsin River on the north side - very scenic hills and valleys, and did I mention 20 straight miles of uninterupted twisty pavement? :D I'd love to join you so I could put some miles on my new DL650, but I'm tied up this weekend. Have fun! :thumb

Marathonman
  12. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip-- I see the road on the gazetteer; looks pretty good.... Any idea if the roads that surround Hwy 60 are gravel ? Also, would you recommend staying north or south of the WI River (or does it matter) ?

Thanks
  13. katoom525

Oddometer:
    I will not camp, but I am only less than a half hour away. I am going up rt. 45 to C do I turn rt. or left? How do I get there?

I'll be there at 6:30 with fresh doughnuts.

My cell is 224-627-7581 if you forget anything or actually want to tell me how to get there. See you then, Jim
  14. MarathonMan

MarathonMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fist -

Sorry - I can't say for sure. The only time I have been in the area is on an annual canoe trip down the Wisconsin River. The outfitter takes us up Highway 60 on the way to the canoe launch. At the time, I only had a street bike, and wasn't looking for gravel.

However, my guess is that yes, there are gravel roads off Hwy 60. The area has a pretty low population density - not a lot around there except small farms. Can any cheeseheads confirm? :D

A nice side excursion would be to visit the NUDE BEACH on the river. Yes, I said NUDE BEACH. It is located about 5 miles west of Sauk City on the south shore of the river. Ask around when you stop for lunch. Our annual canoe trip is a Dad/Daughter thing, and the nude beach is a never ending source of amusement. Nothing like the sight of 100 naked cheeseheads for an 11 year old girl! :rofl

marathonman
  15. reverand

reverand I love Dogs

Oddometer:
    Fist- I'm in. Give me a call at 262-442-4914 and let me know where on C the farm is, its about a 20 minute ride for me from Waukesha.

Marc
  16. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    the reverand is coming, excellent. By the way I gave up that high speed shit, dual sport dirt bike and sane commuting only for me now, so we won't have to argue about the safety anymore. hows the cap treating you anyhow?

I will head up saturday after work if any chitown area guys wanna ride up pm me or post. Not sure on exact departure as work could be 6 to noon or 5 to 5 pm. Never now when I am leaving till I am leaving type a job. Taking my klr 650 and riding mix of highways and possible back roads depending on when I leave.

Fist said he is buying lunch for everyone :freaky :rofl :eek1
  17. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Address will be forthcoming (i havent memorized it, yet !! :huh ) but...

My house is just north of Hwy 16 on County C (directly north of Delafield)-- Picture this...

You're heading north on Cnty C from say, I-94 -- As soon as you pass Hwy 16 (going north) look to your right and you will pass a quick series/cluster of houses -- then immediately following (still looking to the right, you will see a large open area of semi-forested land with NO houses (at this point, its possible that you can see our POS yellow short bus in the yard; don't ask :lol3 )-- on your right hand side, look for a white fence and a drive way -- TURN RIGHT into this driveway... There should be a bunch of dumspters in the driveway as the house is being renovated...

If you are heading North on Cnty C and you pass the Nashotah Park entrance (on your left -or- west side of the street), YOUVE GONE TOO FAR !

If you are heading South on Cnty C and you pass Hwy 16, YOUVE GONE TOO FAR !

(see map below)

I will try and leave a tire or flag or something near the road...
    I will also call/post my exact address soon...

My cell # is 847 899 1155
  18. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    So who's camping ??
  19. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    right now?
  20. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    :rofl

you crack me up -- if only you could be so witty and quick on your feet when we're working on bikes...