S1000 XR up the Dalton Highway

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by robby85, Oct 15, 2019.

1. robby85

robby85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! Ha ha getting a lot of pressure about marrying the girlfriend on here! :)
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding video. Thanks for sharing!
  3. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for creating the video, I enjoyed watching it.

I think, based on the dates you posted, that I was only 4 days ahead of you to Prudhoe Bay. I was there July 4th, 2019 and it looks like you had better weather than I did. It was nice and dry on the way up, but got cold and rainy for me on the way back south. The wood covered bridge over the Yukon River was slick as ice when wet...I watched a guy dump his new Africa Twin on the bridge before I slowly crossed it being very careful.
  4. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loved the footage! We were that way the month of June. Cold and rainy from Coldfoot to Deadhorse and back. Your video showed so much that we missed...thanks again!
  5. paragee

paragee n00b

Oddometer:
    Fantastic trip. I hadn't heard of the Air Canada programme, and they don't seem to be running at the moment because of Covid. Would you mind sharing (by PM if you prefer) what it cost from Edinburgh? Very very tempted! Any hassles getting insurance?
  6. robby85

robby85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to fly the bike from London as with Air Canada as the Edinburgh flight only takes you to Toronto and we wanted to go to Vancouver. From London inculding all the fees etc it was around £900. All in return for the bike was just under £2,000. as on returning to the UK you need to use an agent/freight forwarder to get the bike through customs in the UK.

Insurance was easy we used progressive insurance and it was 180 dollars but on cancelling the policy after the trip (as we had to take out a years cover) we got a massive junk of that back.

All in all its not cheap but far cheaper than the rental options that I looked at!

Go for it! If Covid ever allows!

Any other questions let me know!