SA Adv Riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BigM, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Dances With Roos

Dances With Roos Bikenomad

Oddometer:
    Hey there 3legs.
    Yeah, hay carting, cropping, sheering, lambing, crutching, ploughing, sewing, irrigating, spraying, repairing, shed building, painting, earthmoving, dam digging, creek clearing, fencing, sheep yard building, cattle yard building, concreting, fabricating, machinery servicing and repairing, fire fighting, flood control, burning off.

I get tired just typing it!

But your right, at the time it was mostly good fun, and we learnt heaps as we went along.
    Boxa, KIZ and 3legs like this.
  2. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    More of the "Hysterical" continued.....

So eventually even the SL 70 was a little small so it was relegated to farm work only, also it was no longer very competitive against the likes of the newer two stroke 80cc mini cycles as they were called then.
    Around this time the film On Any Sunday came out and changed my perspective as I'm sure it did many others.
    The results....

Scan_20200706 (12).jpg

A pair of Honda CRM 125s and a CRM250 Elsinore, a bunch of mates and me about to head down to Torrens Island, (before they kicked everyone out and built it up with a million tones of fill) for tuning prior to Sundays race, choosing gearing and jetting mostly.

Scan_20200706 (8).jpg

The bottom pic is taken at Silver Lakes Mylor, (CR125) the top one is my last MX race at Renmark, I got to go to the Gaston Rahier MX class with some other junior riders that day, learnt a lot from the master.
    Think you were there that day as well Kipo??
    Though I didn't know you back then, (kept away from those shady looking fellas at the other end of the pits):lol3.
    Note the open face helmet with press stud mounted mouth guard, heavy and really hot leather pants, Golden Breed motorcycle jersey with sown in padding, also hot.
    It was the last round of the season and about 45 degrees that day. I remember they had 44 gallon drums of water in the pits and we would just plunge into them head first after each race helmet and all.
    DWR

Attached Files:

TerryK, Boxa, Ron50 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    More of the "Hysterical" continued.....

So not wanting to put my dad into ever increasing torment of driving all over the country side to race, I gained an apprenticeship as a fitter and turner, (apple didn't fall far from the tree), oh the horror of signing my life away for four years! I honestly thought this was the end! Well it was an end to the regular racing, I had no time for such things with the shock of leaving school and having to get up, (early mind you) and work all day! How on earth do they do that!, does everyone do this! Outrageous!

Well two important things happened, I realised that it wasn't the end of the world and I turned 15.5 years old and as such was eligible for a motorcycle licence, (those were the rules then folks), still couldn't get a car license till I was 16 years old.
    The poor old CRs were shelved and two second hand Honda 400 Four super sports bikes found their way into the shed.

Scan_20200706 (15).jpg
    And so begins the road bike faze.
    There was no 250cc learner rule then, in fact when I rolled up to do the test at Largs Bay Police Station I was on the smallest bike there!
    Note the front number plate requirements of the day, I remember in latter years the huge protests over such things as being unsafe and even a danger to pedestrians, If a pedestrian ever found themselves on top of my headlight we would both have other things to worry about other than being cut!
    These things were a heap of fun and great for learning to keep your corner speed up, because the brakes were never good enough for the weight of the bike and would fade even further with hard use through the hills. Dad and I also attended many track days out at Mallala over the years.

All was good until....

Scan_20200706 (17).jpg

Yes, my father bought this for himself, then one day grudgingly let me have a ride on it, he never saw it again, in the end I had to buy it off him, The Honda fours were sold, dad went and got himself another one of these, (black and gold one), it never rode as nice as this one it had a lot of cheaper plastic switch gear etc. I raced it briefly, but couldn't keep the tyres up to it on apprentice wages so put it back on the road.

Top pic was not long after purchasing it from dad, bottom pic was on a trip through the Snowy Mountains in winter over the Alpine way snow everywhere long before it was sealed freezing cold in wet leathers, ah the things you do when your young, highly questionable things. :dunno
    As you can see there is the seed of adventure riding starting to grow.

More another time.
    DWR
    TerryK, Boxa, Ron50 and 3 others like this.
  4. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    The front number plate on my fathers bike was double sided curved, mounted facing sideways along the front mudguard. ( would have sliced a pedestrian).
  5. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey DWR, what year were the photo's of the Ducati ?

I note the number plate of the Ducati. I had a Honda 750 with the number TEU728. So close.
  6. 3legs

Oddometer:
    BTW I got did my riding test from the old Semaphore police station opposite the Palais.

Went down Semaphore road to the Birkenhead Tavern, turned around and went back to the station and that was it (1975).
  7. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    My father had motorcycles, I have since 1974 Both of my sons have had bikes from 16 yo my grandson not long age got his bike licence (on a DRZ400 well known to DWR) and one of my grand daughters (11yo) has a minibike. Could be DNA.
    TerryK, Boxa and 3legs like this.
  8. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    Yes the early bikes had those as in the Matchless AJS era 1930s? or earlier right through to the 60s they started being more creative.
  9. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    It was a 1978 900ss and those plates were on it when purchased 2nd hand it only had 2300 kms on it so would've been no more than a year or so after that. Think I did the trip in the pic about 1980 ish, I would've been around 18 at the time that was taken.
  10. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    Yeah I had one of them, didn't everyone?

duc1.jpg
    TerryK and Phil_Fong like this.
  11. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    I had to do a few blocks, with some give way signs, stop signs then back, a nice policeman followed in a patrol car, powder blue valiant with cherry on top. And that was it, all done, it would've been around 1977.
    TerryK likes this.
  12. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it must be Kiz, there's some strange pull towards it, because if you stand back and look at it logically, it's nuts!
    KIZ likes this.
  13. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    Nice spcamin PBee, was it a slightly later model? I notice the fairing has the indicator cut outs. Mine never had those I latter fitted indicators for ease of road riding, but drilled holes fitted rubber gromets and made some tubed steel mounts to hold the indicators.
  14. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    Aussie Trev and Phil_Fong like this.
  15. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    Yes I don't understand their pricing, they're certainly not worth today's asking price.
    When dad bought it it was around 3200.00. But I kept it for about 14 years before selling it, re painted it before selling, 15 k from memory.
    But didn't want to sell it, was a lot of fun, but needed money, new wife, things to buy etc .
  16. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    Heading up to Angorichina Village Saturday, home Wednesday with the DSMRA club lads. I will be in Qld during the Flinders Classic for the Off Centre Rally at Adels Grove, and riding on to visit the top of Australia again. Number 1 son also riding, on his Africa twin.
    TheDecepticon and Boxa like this.
  17. Kimi

Kimi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mother used to tell the story of my father, quite early on in their marriage, of waking up with my Dad kicking her with his right leg, she shaking him awake, her leg being bruised.... His excuse?

He thought he was riding his motorbike and the bloody thing wouldn’t start...

no photos of my dad on his motorcycles, unfortunately, but always a good family joke.
    TerryK likes this.
  18. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    Hey there Kimi.
    Yes seems to be a common theme from the era, motorcycles being the usual form of transport before everyone could afford cars.
    Though my dad has had a reputation for being ridiculous, somewhere I have a pic of him attempting to race his Ariel red hunter with a broken leg set in a plaster cast!
    DWR
    Kimi and Boxa like this.
  19. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    When you look at all the motorcycle brands that were out of the UK, the bikes were a major form of transport including sidecars. The place we stay in Watford has a drive that you can't get a modern car down, perhaps a Austin 7 or something narrow & sidecars / bikes but that was the norm back then. Plus it's so cold & wet, remember the canvas cover over the riders legs or the small leg guards,SAPOL may have used the canvas on the BSA 650's. Times have changed so much from when our dads rode & all for very different reasons.

Terry
  20. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Hey DWR, were you in the Ducati owners of club of SA back then ( I was ) when they had their clubrooms at Keswick ?