SA Adv Riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BigM, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Dances With Roos

Dances With Roos Bikenomad

Oddometer:
    Yes I remember one of our neighbors rode a Bantam Beezer to work every morning, it had knee guards, lap rug, (canvas) and handle bar muffs. He was in his 60s then and rode summer & winter. I was about 8 or 9 years old at the time.
    Dwr
    pops and TerryK like this.
  2. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    Yes for a very short stint, gave them up when the started going flat out on their club rides, several times they had crashes on rides. I used to have some fun in the hills like anyone back then, but left the serious stuff for the race track. Had a few good club rides with them out at Mallalla in the old days.
    DWR
  3. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite bikes, bought it new in '78.

tt500b.jpg

Many bikes & track days at Mallalla the TT was the most fun

IMG_4765.JPG
    pops, TerryK, 3legs and 3 others like this.
  4. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    Yes well, I see some of the quickest times at the Collingrove hill climb are set by motard type bikes.
    And especially Mallalla, a tight track, speeds were not that high, but a lot of fun, it suits the smaller lighter bikes.
    Had a lot of fun out there in the rain once, (inter club racing), they'd patched the corners with cement, spent half the time sliding sideways the other half laughing.
    DWR
    TerryK, 3legs and Aussie Trev like this.
  5. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes DWR I went on a few club runs and out to Mallala for club days myself. You and I probably met in those days. I'm hopeless with names but I do remember my old mate Rick Bailetti and his gorgeous yellow GT750 Ducati.

Also remember all of of us getting kicked out of the Hotel Elliot ( although I don't think it was called that back in 1980 ) for " not behaving " :lol3:lol3:lol3

I used to live near Woodside in those days so the Adelaide hills was also my racetrack :D

Yeh Mallala didn't have the best surface that's for sure. Came off on the corner where the old pits was.
  6. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Hey Pbee there used to be a bloke from Ipswich Qld back in 1977/78 that used to race a XT500 with slicks at the old Lakeside track and he gave a lot of pure race bikes a run for their money.

It was great to watch and you could hear the thump thump above all the ringa ding ding :lol3
  7. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    Yeah, don't worry, you weren't the first or the last I'm sure to drop it there..
    After the track day / club thing, we spent more time in the hills, but we would be up there at 6-7 am & heading home around 9 - 10am before traffic became an issue.
    Dad & I used to haunt Chain of Ponds early mornings, on our Ducati's. Later on when he didn't join me so much, I spent most weekends in the hills, started running from south around Victor or Goolwa to north as far as Port Augusta & back. Quite often chocked up 1000 kms in a weekend.
    Problem was 3000 kms rear tyre, around 6000 kms front tyre = rear tyre three weeks, front tyre 6 weeks, kept me poor most of the time. We also rode over & back together to the Easter Bathhurst bike races twice, great times.
    DWR
    pops, TerryK, Boxa and 1 other person like this.
  8. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Yeah you're right about the tyres. I was using Michelin tyres, the really soft ones ( I can't remember the exact name/number ) but didn't last long. Around 1500 km but were really good tyres.
  9. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    I was working in Adelaide on arvo shift and living in the hills, got to know chain of ponds pretty well. Usually had it to myself coming home round midnight. Was riding my R1100S with sticky tyres and Wilbers shocks.
    3legs likes this.
  10. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    I raced for a few years with Atujara MCC at Mallala and Mac Park.
    I had a cx500 bog stock, you could ride it flat out all day week in & week out with very little maintenance.
    There was a few of us on TT500s at Mallala & we would round up everyone bar A graders, pissed a lot of people off. :lol3
    It would normally take 2 or 3 laps to beat the big fours (they had the legs on the back straight)
    We'd get them under braking & through the twisties, once firmly ahead we'd slow down so they could catch us on pit straight & then sit on the back wheel all the way down to the right hander before the straight.
    The pissed off bruised ego agro guys would zoom past but most would sit back to watch the show.
    A few blokes wanted us banned saying our trials universal tyres were damaging the track. We used to get those tyres balling up too.
    Great days.
    TerryK, 3legs and Boxa like this.
  11. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Ah the old CX500. Used to ride one with a Tilbrook sidecar flat out wherever I went. Never broke down.
  12. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    I used Pirelli mostly, went through a few muffler clamp bolts ground off on corners too, first time it happened at Mallalla the muffler joint blew apart. I thought I'd blown the motor!
    TerryK and 3legs like this.
  13. Dances With Roos

Oddometer:
    I was in the Atujara for a bit, mainly just joined to get my race license at the time, (Honda Elsinore scrambles days).
    Also some time with a mob called Juventus mc club.
    Currently ADV and "The Frats" ,(Moto Gutzi Appreciation Fraternity SA).
    DWR
  14. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    had a good weekend. Good tracks north of Parachilna (pub still closed) IMG_20200713_140730_094.jpg
    AussieRocket, pops, Kimi and 5 others like this.
  15. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a message today that Blinman was full of people. Lamb and rosemary pies were nearly gone by 12.30pm.
    AussieRocket, Kimi and Boxa like this.
  16. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Blinman’s been going gangbusters since they reopened.
    AussieRocket, pops, Kimi and 2 others like this.
  17. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    Had lunch in the North Blinman Hotel on Tuesday. Was busy but quick service. A beer is aways good after a lap of the PAR
    Aussie Trev and pops like this.
  18. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi guys . I havent around due to my head coming to a sudden stop at the bit between the front and back door of a 4wd, I was just wonandering if aanyone on here is an optonmerist or knows one sympathetic to riders, I spent two weeks in a coma in RAH and then 2 more weeks in RAH then a month in Hampstead brain injury unit, Im feeling beter now but they took my licence away and I have to get an optomertist report, any help would be appreciated I snould also mention Im In Lockleys Adelaide
  19. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this bloke can help but he maybe able to point you in the right direction.

Dr James Leyden at Leyden Neurology at Calvary Hospital in Wakefield st Adelaide.

I recently finished chemo for Bowel Cancer and during one of my sessions I had a seizure ( fainted ) due to the chemo.

Very rare apparently but anyway they took my licence away and to get it back I had to go through a series of tests with Dr Leyden to determine that it wasn't due to anything else.

Thankfully everything came out good and he sent a letter to the Dept of Transport and I had my licence back within a week of the test.

Bit long winded, sorry but give him a ring and he may know someone who can help.

He's a reasonably young fellow and seems like a good bloke.

No harm in ringing and asking the question.

Btw, glad you're getting better.
    Phil_Fong and Boxa like this.
  20. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thaanks for your reply . Im getting help from LSA (lifetime help authority) I just need someone to check my eyes and juust thought a rider might be more understanding, enjoy riding.
    3legs likes this.