1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

SA Adv Riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BigM, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    A couple of mates and I are thinking of nipping up to Cameron Corner from Arkaroola way next weekend. Can anyone clarify what we need to cover to refuel at the CC Store? Do we need QLD health permits due to Covid requirements? Is there a road heading south from CC that will get us back into SA and back towards Arkaroola way instead of just doing a 180 turn and heading back the same way we came in, off the Strez track at Merty Merty?
    From what I can gather, we would need a QLD health permit to enter Cameron Corner to refuel then the only road out other than the way in we've come is down to Tibooburra then Broken Hill, which means 14 days isolation in Adelaide to re-enter SA. It suddenly becomes too hard. I think we'll pass on CC and just turn left at Moolawatana.
  2. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Its 600 km and no fuel from C.C. to Broken Hill via the S.A. border..Waka Rd Hawker Gate Smithville etc.
    If you could hop thru the dog fence ( the dog fence workers at Smithville House know how to get to Adelaide via the back door.. I"m sure you could get to Curnamona H.S. from there as well.
    Fom Tibooburra you could shoot down Silver City Hway south of B.H. towards Coombah Roadhouse and maybe take a right and get onto Eastern Rd which will take you to Burra. Probly got that border gate shut too.
    Turning left at Moolawatana and thru to Lyndhurst is a good ride. It's a closed unmaintained road though.
  3. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Hey Graham, yeah, I'm very hesitant to try any ducking and weaving right now. A really good way to end up shot at, out of fuel or simply locked up right now. I'll leave the Corner for another time when Ted and the BH lads run a trailride up to there. Yes, the Moolawatana track is a nice little adventure. Did it with the XR600 a few years ago and it had some challenging and interesting sections. I'm not as confident on the bike anymore, especially with it being the heavier Tiger 800 but I'll be in company with a couple of old mates that'll put up with my shit. We really just want to get out there and have a relaxed desert ride over four days, so staying within SA seems the only sensible choice.
    How've you been traveling lately? The 625 still serving you well?
  4. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Still in the fleet. Last time away on the bike was last November.. Was hoping to get over to watch a trial or 2 but us Vics are all banned.
    Lost my cousin Jack to the M.M. a coupla mths ago..kidneys finally gave out, went quietly at home.
    :gergKeep chugging along ..
  5. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear about Jack. That's a bastard outcome. I keep forgetting about all the other risks. I certainly notice how much effort I need to go to to keep my own system in balance. It's like being a bloody fish with the amount of water needed to be consumed. He'd been doing well when I spoke to him so it's a bit of a shock to hear it caught up with him so quickly.
    Yeah, last ride for me was Tassie back in January or February. The gearbox selector cam failed the day after I got home and I didn't have the energy to deal with it, so it sat for months very unloved until I tore into it a month or two ago. But it's time to see some desert sunsets again, so I registered the bike again Saturday and I'll ride it daily now until the summer heat gets too much again. I really like the SWM Superdual X so the Tiger is definitely on borrowed time. It's too heavy for me to pick up. I can just push it around okay but a lighter bike is needed. I was even thinking of one of those 300cc Kawasakis. They look like a lot of fun. I also keep looking for the SEM ignition stator I need to resurrect the 540SXC, so that's a possible future option. That beast weighs 120kg or so but it's the turd left hand kick start. I'm just not sure a kick start bike is safe for me anymore. I pissed off the two race XR's for the reason I didn't feel like testing my bones too much. A 640 Adventure might be the right move as well. The run you've had out of your machine is certainly impressive. Hopefully we'll get to catch up somewhere one day soon.
  6. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Yep, once this current mess is over that'd be real good..
    Sundowner likes this.
  7. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    It is easy to get a Qld permit on line as long as you havent been overseas or to Vic or Sydney. I am pretty sure Cameron Corner Store is in SA. A couple of us are heading to Burra on Saturday, back roads to Yunta, and up to Arkaroola. Then to the Strez up to Innaminka, Cordillo Downs, Betoota, Diamontina NP, Boulia, Urandangi, Camooweal, and to Adels Grove for the OCR, as long as rules don't change. Then it will be north to Cape York via the Dunbar Mitchell river crossing if that is intact and not too deep.
    Boxa likes this.
  8. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    The Cameron Corner Store FB page mentions the need for a Qld Health Permit before they'll serve anyone, which makes me think it's the wrong side of the tracks for us. Bloody silly situation, considering you could kick a footy the distances involved. If there was a chance the track due south out of CC was public access, I'd be all for that adventure. But my mates can't afford to be caught in any isolation requirements and the Strez just isn't interesting enough to do both ways. It's all good. A relaxed ride is what we're after. We don't need to rush anywhere. But I'll find a reason to visit Innamincka again one day soon and sneak up through Broken Hill way.
    KIZ likes this.
  9. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Coongie Lakes, about 100 kms up from Innamincka. ..well worth a look..camping but no fires allowed.
    Sundowner likes this.
  10. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:

the store etc is only just in QLD...... the grey lines on the following pic are the borders (or near enough...)

upload_2020-7-29_16-5-17.png

Sundowner likes this.
  11. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    That's absolutely ridiculous that they require a QLD health permit before they'll serve anyone.
    gateman likes this.
  12. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    Not really an Adventure Ride but took Mrs. B out to lunch yesterday. Im a gluetard so a bit restricted on what bakeries i can eat at but have had a gluten free pie at a bakery at Burra a while ago so thought we would head up that way. Stopped in at the Burra Creek George to have a look, it was nearly a full house all the caravans set up for a long term stay. Satellite dishes everywhere.
    When we got to Burra we found that they had shut up shop so ended up getting a feed from the fish and chip shop over the road.
    We took the Old Adelaide road home with a few detours along the way and ended up emerging at Kapunda. Some fantastic country up that way, realy nice to see that it has got some rain and looking green. 360 k round trip. First ride through some muddy tracks with the Karoo 3 on the front, replacing my long term favorite, Shinko 705. Still have a 705 on the back and am very happy with that but was very impressed with the Karoo on the front on the muddy tracks.
    Looks like another good day today so might go and find some more dirt to explore.

0D662F8B-A732-4147-B9EF-54FFB99B0596.jpeg
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Some info for all you disease-free croweaters........

The 2020 GASGAS Australian Trial Championships to be held at Bangor, Southern Flinders Ranges, South Australia, on September 26 and 27, 2020

So you have some motorsport to attend this weekend, you lucky disease-free bastards. There's bugger-all over this way for the moment. Eat my germs.
    Boxa and Aussie Jase like this.
  14. Aussie Jase

Aussie Jase Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not for me - stuck at work.
    But won't be gloating. We saw what happened to someone else over the border a disparaging comment was made from memory was something like "why would you want to go there anyhow" on a separate note hope the borders can open in time to run Speedweek 2021.
    Cheers AJ
    Boxa likes this.
  15. SidecarLeigh

SidecarLeigh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. SidecarLeigh

Oddometer:
    Think I buggered posting my reply.................Oz titles were cancelled some time back.
  17. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    How 's it all going big fella..?
  18. SidecarLeigh

Oddometer:
    Quick thread hijack, going alright, just waiting for scan results etc. but feeling quite good. Thanks for asking Unc ....... you try and be good too!!!
    UncleGra likes this.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    You are correct.

I got the info from the MA website, which is about as consistent as a rockslide. A return visit after reading your post, and I found the cancellation tucked away on one page in a corner.

Cheers.
  20. Dances With Roos

Dances With Roos Bikenomad

Oddometer: