Sachs MadAss 125cc

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Nurburgringer, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Rhinorear

Rhinorear Member Team Tarded

Oddometer:
    subscribed. never to late
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then how do people manage to insure modified vehicles? My Chevy truck makes 3 times the power it did stock (went from a 2.8 V6 to a well built 383 V8) but it is insured as stock, using the VIN.

I have recently become interested in rat rods. Most of those are titled and insured by the VIN that is on the frame, as whatever the frame came from. In AZ the frame needs to be a '66 or older to get you out of having to deal with emissions. Fortunately there is no longer any emissions crap to deal with for motorcycles. We finally joined the other civilized 49 states.
  3. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yuma has no emissions which is probably the one and only thing good about this god-forsaken city :freaky

Sorry to thread hijack for a second, but related to a 49cc Madass--in AZ, JerryH, can one legally ride a 49cc scooter with just a standard car driver's license? Or does one still have to have a motorcycle license? What if the 49cc scooter, such as the Madass 50, has a manual transmission? Are those still considered 'scooters'? If anyone probably knows the answer, it would be you...
  4. JerryH

Oddometer:
    In AZ. even a 50cc scooter or any 50cc bike that did not come from the factory with pedals is considered a motorcycle. The only exception to that is a 50cc moped, with functional pedals, like my Puch. It requires only a drivers license, but still has to be registered, plated, and insured, though the cost is extremely low.

Tomos made all their models with a choice of pedals, or pegs and kick start. The pedal models did not require a motorcycle endorsement, while the peg models did. But, the pedal models were stuck with a top speed of 30 mph. If you were into serious modding, the peg models had no speed limitations.
  5. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clearing that up! One of the very few bikes made today that fall into that category is the Lazer by SSR (although the OEM is Bashan, and as the Chinese go, it might be rebranded by a few companies). It stinks that we in AZ get stuck with speed limited models, considering they are motorcycles like any other motorcycle. I wonder if we can get back to the good old days like some other states, where one does not need a license if they are under 50cc...I have a couple connections to state government I could petition :deal
  6. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The one exception I know of, is motorized bicycles. They can have an engine up to 48cc (48cc, not 49cc) figure that one out. I think it is to prevent mopeds from being considered motorized bicycles, and the fact that most of the cheap Chinese bicycle engine kits are 48cc. These can be ridden without any kind of a license, no insurance or plate. They can even be ridden in bike lanes. But they have a speed limit of 20 mph. We may lose the law that allows this, because so many riders are using larger, modified engines and going twice that fast. In AZ, even a Whizzer is a motorcycle, because of it's 100cc+ displacement.
  7. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen a few people hitting some high speeds on their motorized bicycles here in Yuma. Then, again, I have seen people doing the same on their electric bicycles.

Related to the Madass, the distributor, Excalibur, posted a few better photos of the bike--not like it's changed a lot over the years, but the Sach's 'official' photo of the wannabe street punk with the skateboard borrowed from Sach's site (that photo is still there) was bugging me being one of only two photos of the bike. If you go to Sach's site, all their products are advertised with wannabe street punks--reminds me of the Offspring song "Pretty fly for a white guy" :D

http://atv4usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MadAss50&cat=19

Due to EPA, they will only be available in automatic, because certifying them in a mixed batch of 4-speed manual and auto is not as easy to do, or costly, or both.
  8. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read what I said. They will take your money, that isn't the issue.
  9. JerryH

Oddometer:
    To bad it will not be available with a manual. I don't believe there are any other manual shift 50cc bikes out there.

It does look like they are marketing it pretty much the same as Honda did with the Grom, aiming it at the "street punk" crowd.

Off topic, but I wonder whatever happened to the Grom? I have yet to see one, on the street, or at a dealer. Many here bought one, but I haven't heard much for a long time.
  10. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only Grom I have ever seen, and still see from time to time is a guy who works at one of the Walmarts here in Yuma owns one. I often see it parked outside the store. I have never seen a Madass, either, but plan to see one in the next few weeks when I visit Excalibur, the distributor.
  11. syncro87

syncro87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dad bought a Grom. He's 66 years old, retired, has a KLR650 and a BMW R1100RS as well. So much for the punk crowd. lol. Said the top end was about 45mph when you thrashed it. Just a smidge too low. He liked it but ended up selling it and bought a PCX150. He never owned a scooter before and felt like trying it out. Said that he likes the PCX better.

I think the Groms were real hot initially, partly due to short supply, but around me, supply has caught up with demand. All the dealers around here have them in stock currently.
  12. Bagwell

Bagwell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in my Mid to late 40s and bought a GROM last year. I own many other bigger bikes and also race minibikes on shifter kart tracks, ride dirt, big bike and little bike trackdays as well. I love most bikes. Im not much of a scooter guy, but also own a Madass 125 which I just got after looking long and hard for one nearby. I love my GROM, and it does about 60 to 65MPH wide open. You have to wring its neck, but its fun as anything to ride the snot outta a bike. I also have been racing the GROM in the CMRA Grom Challenge and may end up racing the Madass in one of our classes on shifter kart tracks. The Grom and Madass are similar in performance capability it seems so far. Both are interesting bikes...
  13. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I have never actually seen a Grom, but it looks much too small for me. The Madass 125 looks a lot roomier. I also think it looks cooler. I don't know what it's rated weight carrying capacity is. That comes into play when you weigh 240.

On the 50cc scooter thing, many states do not require a motorcycle endorsement for them, but most of those states do put a 30 mph speed limit on them, so you can get a speeding ticket even if you are under the posted speed limit because of what you are riding. I assume you could ride as fast as the scooter would go if you had a motorcycle endorsement.

I have mixed feelings about this. A 50cc scooter is small and easy to control, and most top out around 40 mph. But that's still fast enough to get you killed. 5 mph will get you killed if you ride out in front of a car. Bikes, even small ones, require a different set of skills to ride than what it takes to drive a car. Plus you have to be a lot more aware of what is going on around you. Most car drivers today are not competent to drive a car, even though they have a license. I know, I have almost been run over by quite a few of them.
  14. syncro87

syncro87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally, was just on the phone with ole dad. I stand corrected. He said his Grom would do an indicated 50, and 55 if it was tapped and conditions were perfect -- flat, no headwind, etc. He is not a heavy guy, well under 200 and probably under 180 if I had to guess. So sounds like you are doing better than he was if yours will do 65.
  15. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the 125cc still being imported into USA? I'm trying to buy one, brand new. Does anybody drop ship one to Texas?
  16. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to work at a shop that carried the madass...it is a piece of shit, really heavy too. Your $$$ is better spent else where
  17. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it that bad? I don't mind rolling up the sleeve every once in a while and work on it. I have had 2 China bikes; so I know they're not perfection, like BMW. The spec says 220-lbs. That's about the same as typical 125cc scooter. Yeah, I'd like to buy a Honda or BMW; but there's really no other small cc motorcycle on the market. The closest thing I can find is a SYM Wolf 150. The WOlf is 266-pounds. And it is not nearly as cool looking as the M.A.. Oh yeah, there's the Grom, but I think it's very ugly and it makes me look like a clown on a mini crotch rocket.
  18. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They aren't as bad as naysayers make them out to be..you have to wade through the bias as some people seem to keep posting negative thoughts after negative thoughts without really having solid evidence unless their evidence is hearsay from a thread they read posted by one of those people who never change their oil or check anything on their bikes.

The Madass is currently only available in 50cc form. The new distributor of them tried to buy the rights from the guy who holds the 125cc rights (i.e. give the guy a cut of every bike sold) but it seems like the guy might have plans for the future, or just is 'mad' with the world and his ego made him do it (I have some gossipy insight so I would lean to the latter).

The great thing about the Madass is that they are full-size and can be easily modified all over--for instance, the handlebars can be changed out for most any MX handlebars, as well as the tires, and more importantly, the engine can be modified and/or swapped for a larger crate engine down the rode. Of course, if you bought the 50cc, and registered it as a moped in those states that recognize the difference, or did not have to register mopeds, now you are breaking the law.

I had the privilege of riding the Madass back to back with two TGB scooters at the distributor of all three bikes recently. They are the exclusive distributor for the TGB X-Race 50 and Key West 50--both utilize the TGB 2-stroke 50cc engine, and the Madass 50cc from Sachs.

Of course, I got spoiled with the power of both of the two-stroke scooters before riding the Madass, but I preferred the Madass of the three based on seating position.

I am a nobody, whose opinion stinks like everyone else's :topes but I do find strong evidence from the biggest retailer of the Madass, Moto-Scoot of Milwaukee, who are huge boosters of the Madass. They have all kinds of upgrade parts for them, but also have other things that I find interesting...they sell a few brands of 'higher' quality bikes offered by Taiwanese companies, including TGB. In other words, if they were pieces of s%$t, as people want to say, then why carry higher profile scooters all the while encouraging my friend's distributorship to import the Madass, even in 50cc form? Apparently, a reputable, large, high-profile dealer has confidence in the Madass.

http://www.moto-scoot.net/
  19. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:

You really think BMWs are perfection ? Not even close.
  20. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do like the SYM Wolf, and our 2008 HD200 is still being a great scooter with over 15,000 on it now. There is also the fine Suzuki TU250. SYM Symba. New Honda CB300F.