Sachs MadAss 125cc

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Nurburgringer, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dunno, maybe aftermarket
  2. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    If the rain holds off this morning, I'm heading over to MS and picking mine up. It's been a little while since I've been on a bike, but I'm sure the cob webs will get kicked out pretty quick. I'm stoked as hell.
  3. Sune

Sune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was basically in love with these things when I was about 16 (the time where you're legally allowed to ride scooters and mopeds here), but looking at these pics you're tempting me all over again. Damn! :D

And they're working on 250cc and 500cc versions you say? Nice.. I'd love to own a 500cc madass! :1drink
  4. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    Picked up my MA earlier today. If anything I'm more in love with it now then when I first saw an image of one about a month ago.

I don't have anything in depth to tell you yet, but from the perspective of someone who hasn't ridden in about 10 years, i can tell you that the MadAss 125 is a very, very welcoming bike and the overall feel of quality on my short trip back to work was more than enough to instill a significant measure of confidence. The MA is beefier than it might seem -or at least to me and my initial thoughts at seeing one- and my 6'2" 280lbs frame didn't feel awkward in the saddle.

The guys over at MS were really cool and took their time so that my goofy ass could get re-acquainted with life on two wheels. In all honesty I have more cobwebs then i thought i had, but it's coming back and anything lacking has everything to do with me than with the bike.

Over the next few days and weeks I hope to add my two cents worth along with some pics too. Others around here can give a more technical overview so I'll just stick to the "dude on the street" perspective. :evil
  5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey congrats!

I won't be able to stay long or participate in any of the rides due to out of town guests, but I'll be stopping by M-S on Saturday for a short while for the big party so hope to meet you there.

Some people say "200lbs?! Why so heavy??", but sounds like you agree with me that it's just right. Not too light to be flimsy, not too heavy to feel clumsy.

Ride safe and have fun
    cheers!
  6. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    As I was leaving work yesterday and just as I rolled my MA outside, a city bus driver yelled out of his window across busy Michigan avenue:

"Hey! That's a nice bike. What is it?"

"Thanks, it's a MadAss!"

"What?"

He still didn't get it and even after he asked me to spell it out. While i can appreciate standing outside of my work yelling "MadAss" across a busy downtown street I was still wishing i had a sign or something i could hold up to let him see the name.

And just after that, an older guy stopped and asked me about the bike. The MA does attract questions, that's for sure.

On my ride home, the bike still felt really good and solid, even over the WWI-era landing strip effect that Howell/Chase has (i need a better route). One thing i did notice was that the stock exhaust under the seat does get a little warm after a while. I'm definitely going to check out what it'll cost to get the off-set after market pipe.
  7. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm sure you know this, but for the first hundred miles or so I wouldn't run it at redline for too long. Take it a bit easy at first and as the motor breaks-in it will loosen up you'll get more power.

Do you mean that the seat itself gets warm? I've ridden for over an hour on hot days and never noticed the seat getting uncomfortably warm.
    Of course if you have to pick up the back of the bike to scoot it over and are careless grabbing the seat rail, yeah the muffler can burn you but so far I haven't thought that the exhaust under the seat is any kind of problem.

have fun!
  8. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    i know my shifting is a little rusty and not as fluid as it should be but i'm making sure to keep everything on the down-low for the break in.

Yeah, the seat itself was a little warm, not out of control but enough for me to notice. i'm more than willing to admit my OCD for little things like that so i could be in the minority.
  9. tundrawolf

tundrawolf Desert Rat V Star

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an MPG figure yet?
  10. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have just picked up a Australian model Madass a few weeks ago. Even with the throttle permanently to the stop it is getting 2.8l/100km or 84mpg. Mine is second hand and had 4400ks though now it is already over 5000ks as I have been riding it instead of the 1000.

It is a really good runaround. I was going to get a sccooter just to run around town on and go to work but I ended up getting one of these. Glad I did. I was worried about the luggage space but I put a cargo net on the back and have carried a couple of bags home from the shops which is enough for me. Ok so it probably is not as handy as a normal scooter but I love its handling compared to a scooter.

Great fun and you don't even have to speed to have a good time.:wink:
  11. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info C.

The only issue that the 125 didn't rectify or improve upon over the 2006 is the fuel situation. You really di have to be aware how much is left and how far away from a fuel station you are.
    MMA - once the tank is near empty and the bike starts to starve, remember that leaning left will give you the last bits of gas for some additional distance. The 'reserve' is a joke really, so if you see a MA swerving down the road he's not drunk, he's just trying to make it to the next gas station :)

cheers
  12. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    Good deal, i'll keep that in mind. Maybe i should keep an old 40oz bottle filled with some petrol in my rucksack just in case :D
  13. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I hope your not talking about taking your "Olde English" glass bottle 40 and adding gas to it? You could have some nasty surprises. The cap would leak and your rucksack could become a malatoff (sp?) cocktail strapped to your back.:kboom

I see the ADV guys use MSR and other brands of fuel bottles. Seems to me you could find a place to strap one of these to the bike and have a real fuel reserve to get you to the nearest station.
  14. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    yeah, i was just talking smack.

Having a beer bottle filled with petrol in a ruck would more than likely win someone a Darwin Award sooner or later.
  15. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    You never know these days, some people will try anything to save a buck. :norton
  16. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MMA - did you get over to M-S yesterday for the rally/party? I wasn't able to due to out-of -town guests, but weather was great so should have been a good turn-out.
  17. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    I had something else going on too but I did have go down there to have them check something out on the bike and leave right away. I was there about 11:30 or so and it seemed like they had a decent turn out from what it looked like.
  18. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    (Cross-posted from another topic thread)

I'm taking my MA back in today because, as my luck would have it, there's an oil leak most likely due to a crappy seal. I'm fairly annoyed but not quite pissed off because it'll be covered under the warranty. But having to take your new bike in after less than a week - that plain sucks no matter what.

i'll be sure to ask questions and pass along any information i can because i'm wondering if this is just my own karma or if other 125's are seeing the same thing. (i'm pulling for my own karma.)

While my bike is in the shop i'll see about swapping out the stock exhaust for a short Ass Pipe. On top of my own OCD about things, my girlfriend said that when i pulled up the other day she thought i had coasted in from down the street the bike was that quiet. That made up my mind about getting a louder pipe. Not that the stock one is bad - not at all. Just my own preference.
  19. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    where exactly is it leaking?
  20. Bugtussle

Bugtussle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son and I shot this video last Sunday of the MadAss with the 110cc Lifan motor. Its running 17 tooth front and 53 tooth rear sprockets. He hit 54 mph in this speed run. http://www.vimeo.com/5797275