Sacramento Area Tech Day, any interest?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Techfiend, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Techfiend

Techfiend High Priest of Duh

Oddometer:
    In another thread I posted a few folks have expressed an interest in getting together, oh say, once a month or so and having a little GS tech day over at someone's house. My place is probably too small, though I could probably get a couple of bikes into my garage. We might want to find someplace a bit more open.

I'm not sure what the interest is here for this, but let's get a few people posting. What sorts of things would you want to see demos of? When is the best time for folks to get together?

For me Saturday mornings and early afternoons are best. I'm quite interested in seeing demos of the "common" GS work, things like Throttle Balancing, OVAD, canisterectamies, taking wheels off, mounting lights, oil changes, etc. I'm basically just hungry for knowledge.
  2. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tech,

Here is what you are looking for. Not GS specific but these are really great tech sessions, and you should learn all you need to know about your Oilhead.

Tech Day In Placerville

Jim in Sacramento
  3. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I may go to the on in P-Ville just to make some contacts and hang out. I don't need anything done to my bike right now except to ride it. I'd still be interested in one in Sactown just becuase it's closer and easier for me. I'd like to host but couldn't because I've barely got room in my garage for me to work.

So Techfiend if you're going to the one up the hill PM me and we'll see if we can ride together. If you'd like to see one 'down here by the river' lemme know. I know of someone else who might be interested. Maybe we can build some momentum.
  4. GoGriz

GoGriz Gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    King Tech-

I am planning to go to the Pville Wrench-a-thon with my RT. I would love to chat with you and check out Shelia, though. I've been getting bitten by that bug for quite some time now. Come up and tell me how Quincy was and we'll shoot the shit and wrench and stuff!

See you there!

-Robert B
  5. dwestmodesto

dwestmodesto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. I need to do the 12000 service for the 11150GS I just got. It will be nice to meet up with some other riders, and to steal their ideas and experience.
    Dave

6. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    I am leaving Modesto Now...6:30am. See you up in Placerville. I will be on the Red 1150GS.
    Dave
  7. Techfiend

Techfiend High Priest of Duh

Oddometer:
    Rats, I need to pay more attention to my calendar. *growl* Can't believe I missed this. For those that attended, how was it? It turned out I actually got dragged into a wine tasting day on the 16th so even had I remembered, the wifey would have won out. Dagnabbit.
  8. dwestmodesto

Oddometer:
    The tech day was great. Beautiful location. Nice ride there. Friendly people. I did my 12,000 service. Oil Change, transmission oil change, rear end oil change. valve adjust, synchronized throttle bodies, replaced my rear shock, adjusted preload on front shock, added a fender extender to front fender. Installed a backrest pad to the top case. Tried to flush and bleed my ABS, but was stopped by the oem bmw fittings on the right front brake caliper and on the cluch slave cylinder. I did get the rear brake done, and the front master cylinder and left front caliper. The fluid was very dark. The previous owner must have not ever done the required yearly brake service.
    If you can get a Sacramento tech day going I will be there.
    My next job will be to install bleeders on the right brake caliper and the clutch slave so I can bleed them. I also discovered that the end play on my rocker arms is a little high...it is within specs(specs allow from .004 to .040. I was at .020. It makes my engine a little noisy.
    Good luck getting a tech day set up. Finding the guru's with the skills to share is probably the hardest part. There were several people there that helped us newbies learn the jobs.
    Dave