Sacramento, Cal to BC, Calgary

Discussion in 'Canada' started by thruxton, Jan 19, 2006.

1. thruxton

thruxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be making a trip from Sacramento to Calgary in August, was wondering what are the best roads to take? I was looking at 97 and 395. I want breath taking scenic views, any suggestions please. I have gone to BC before but it was always on interstate 5, (sucks) I figure this time go for the view. Both look good on the map (97 or 395) which is the best way to go? or what is the break down on both roads? I'm sure some of you adventure types have been on these roads, either one or both, thanks.

Rick, Sacramento, California
  2. kilby

kilby Dubai

Oddometer:
    #97 is closer to mountains, but 395 does go by the Grand Coulee Dam which is kind of cool. If you are going to Calgary, try the "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier Park...amazing! On a motorcycle it would be a lot of fun, and it ends at Waterton Park in Canada which is only a few hours from Calgary, take 395 and head for Kalispell. "Google" Glacier Park, I'm sure there will be pics of Going to the Sun road.
  3. mikeyyc

mikeyyc mmmmm....capolicious

Oddometer:
    Depending on the timeframe for the trip, I'd take 97, cross back a bit, get into Canada @ Creston, take the 31 north to Kaslo, 31a to Nakusp, north to Revelstoke and then over to Calgary.

If time is a bit of an issue, do Glacier, but instead of the Going to the Sun, which is clogged with traffic and tourists, take the road around the south side of Glacier, past St. Mary's, take the Big Chief border crossing into Waterton and come up Hwy 22 into Calgary. :freaky

If you'd like any more ideas, or input from this side, let me know.

Mike

mike.kelly at canada dot weatherford dot com
  4. thruxton

thruxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, lot of good help from all of you
  5. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I answered your similar question in the west forum strictly on a 395 versus 97 basis. But if you are looking for scenary:

If time is no object, sooner or later take the coast roads through Cali, Oregon and Washington all the way.

Inland, I would try to hit National Parks. For me the main reason to travel 97 north to Oregon is Crater Lake. Going north on 97 isn't worth it without a stop.

For pure scenary on lightly traveled roads I would recommend 93 through Idaho (including 75, the "old" 93 through Ketchum and stanley) all the way to Glacier National Park. This route could include Waterton Lake NP in Alberta. There are several routes to where you join 93, several of them somewhat tedious. The "get it over with fast" route is east on 80 to Wells, Nevada. You can improve the riding experience at the cost of more miles (but faster) by going east through Nevada on 50 and catching 93 farther south in Ely. Or you can take 395 north to Burns, Oregon and run east on 20 to Idaho. all of these routes involve a lot of sage brush that makes you real glad to see those mountains coming up on the horizon.
  6. thruxton

thruxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put the post up in both sections when someone recommended I do that. Figure I would work all the angles. Thanks for the help and recommendations. greatly appreciated.
  7. Conner

Conner CodeNameChuck

Oddometer:
    ...You know how how warm it gets in Sac in August, stick to the coast if you can.
  8. IslandR

IslandR Awkward Silence Producer

Oddometer:
    How long do you want to take for this trip?

There are a lot of options, if you don't mind ferries then you can really get weird(adventurous).

Do you have a GPS with software of BC and Alberta