Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Parx400, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Bobbles

Bobbles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    moosehog likes this.
  2. Bobbles

Bobbles Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Some one step forward with reccomendations.
    My xr600r’s are dialed in for next season,

[​IMG]

but my buddie’s bike needs a refresh. His 95 has the common loud ticking in the top end that becomes pronounced once it gets hot. Cam chain/slider? Decompressor? Cam/journal?
    He is not willing to take it to my guy in sf.
    Other than the honda shops like roseville honda, who/where is the xr600r guru here in town?
  4. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    My .02. Tell your buddy to either do it himself and save as much money as he can on labor and risk all success on first time vs hundredth or more time. Or suck it up and go see Steve. Hand carry, have a great meal either in SanFrancisco or Berkeley (oh man let me tell ya!) and spend the money once.
    At least that's my plan. Work smarter not harder.
    Good luck!
    Ps been on two XRL since 08 and have done all my own work with advice from this forum. Haven't rebuilt a motor but at some point I'll defer back to my previous statement.
  5. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I have two motors Steve built. I have watched him tear it down to the smallest pieces in 35 minutes. Then tell me what I need done. My buddy does not wanna go that far. It is worth it but....he deosn’t want to. And I am trying to tell him not to ride it till it blows up!
    That’s not going to make things cheaper!
    Is there anybody around here who is known to be good at them?
    Personally, i have a phobia about driving to sf.
    I used to do it for work. All over the dam place. Drove me crazy! Dont wanna go back.
    Could ship it...
    Just looking for local guru. Soon, the weather will be perfect. Dont need this guy blowing it down in some canyon. This is the time to do it right now.
    Oh, and dont need to pull the motor but once. That leads back to the reason he should go to mcma, right!
    Thank you for encouragement though.

After doing two late last year I have had enough. Would rather ride than pull the motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    There are off road trails near Bear River Reservoir way to the east. Probably under snow currently.

Head over to Rock Creek OHV area east of Georgetown for a lot of good riding on both dirt roads and dirt trails. Probably also under snow right now.
  7. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    That's right, "bear res"...
    I once spent some time camping south of the reservoir based out of the "cole creek" area. Gotta get back there with the dualsport... Thanks for the reminder Scott.
  8. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    When you go up there, ride over to Calaveras Dome, near Salt Springs Reservoir. Ellis Rd is the easy way, but there is another steeper/narrower/sharper turning route from Bear River Reservoir that I find enjoyable. There are supposed to be interesting roads across the river.
  9. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can pm me anytime. I’m in San Andreas. And I actually ride this area and don’t use Google. Plated bikes
    moosehog likes this.
  10. Bike Guy

Oddometer:
  11. Dirty Sailor

Dirty Sailor Weekend Warrior

Oddometer:
    Cool, I’m in Fair Oaks.
    I’m always looking for people to ride with, mostly ride alone because my work schedule is odd. I’m available during the week sometimes, let me know
  12. Bike Guy

Oddometer:
    Will do. Weekdays no prob.
  13. NitsujD

NitsujD n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm currently working on rebuilding an '03 KLR, and will be looking to go on some rides in the area after it warms up (and the bike is back together). I'll be following this thread for sure.
  14. hammer13

hammer13 n00b

Oddometer:
  15. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, planning a trip to the Sierra's paved roads in June, but it appears we could have a repeat of what happened in '17/'18 with crazy melt off.

In the spring of 2018, was it a pretty wide spread problem? At what elevation? Did it pretty much ruin the riding that spring? California is a long way away and I've made the trip enough times to skip it it the roads aren't in good condition.
    Dirty Sailor likes this.
  16. Dirty Sailor

Oddometer:
    June will be good for any road in the sierra, I ride all over the Tahoe area in June and never had any problems. Last year I tried to ride some trails in the Tahoe national forest in early May, roads were fine but most of the trails around 4,000ft were covered in snow. I went back a month later (end of June) and trails were good for riding.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  17. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good

Oddometer:
    16/17 was the crazy melt off. Last year was fairly normal, with almost everything open by Memorial Day. All bets are off on this year until we get through April. You really can't make any judgments until we get to May and people start reporting on the road damage. It only takes one big storm with a ton of rain to inflict a years worth of construction on a lot of the good roads.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  18. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow inmates - I dropped my DRZ400 and damaged the right side radiator where it needs some help. Anyone have a recommendation for a radiator shop in the Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln, etc. area?

Thanks!
  19. Dirty Sailor

Oddometer:
    I have taken my bikes to west coast motors, it’s near the KTM dealer off hwy 80. They have always been very honest and never over charged me
    ShineySideUp likes this.
  20. Dirty Sailor

Oddometer:
    Like new Tractionator Adventure front tire for sale, less than 100 miles on it. I like a 50/50 front better so it's coming off.
    $80
    90/90/21