Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Parx400, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I'll take it. Cash on pickup OK? Saturday?
  2. Dirty Sailor

Dirty Sailor Weekend Warrior

Oddometer:
    Sounds good.
  3. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can get a Ohlins rear shock rebuilt near Sacramento?
  4. tricky.

tricky. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Daredevil Motorsports focuses on street bikes but I believe the owner Jesus is now a certified Ohlins technician

http://www.daredevilmotorsports.com/#contact-us
  5. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will give him a call and see if they can do it
    Gerry O
  6. bluegroove

bluegroove Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer:
    Seth at Phat moto suspension does good honest work. Many yrs experience. He's in Gold river. 530-624-2676
  7. bluegroove

bluegroove Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer:
    Forebay road - is it open? I was there about a yr ago and a ranger told me the road was being closed due to risk of landslides. Anyone know the status now? Can you ride from Pollock Pines to Poho ridge?

I called the ranger station and after 10 min on hold, they said nobody there knew the answer!
  8. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of you all heading to the Golden Coast Gambler 500 next weekend? I'll be there.

I moved back to Sacramento in the fall after about a decade and I'm looking forward to getting back into the ADV community here. I hit DMV yesterday to get the GSPD registered but I need to do a VIN inspection so no riding for me this weekend.
  9. DanT0007

DanT0007 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thinking about switching back to a street bike but before I do I want to give adv riding a chance.

I've ridden for about 15 years and currently own an F800GS which I've had 5 years. However, I've never ridden dirt and think I should try before I trade in the bike for something sportier. I liked having the bike for commuting because of the side bags but I no longer need storage space.

Is there a good route nearby Sac that is suitable for a larger bike, street tires, and beginner friendly that would help convince me that I'm making a terrible decision by trading in the bike? I found this route that someone else posted that I was considering. https://goo.gl/maps/wUrru7nsKfRGKgTU7 Would this be a good place to start?

Thanks.
  10. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good

Oddometer:
    Yes, you're making a terrible decision to go pure street. Once you get into the dirt, it's hard to go back to just street riding. Put a set of TKC80's on your F800GS. You need the right tires to appreciate the dirt, especially in the Sierra's where loose gravely fire roads can feel pretty "squirmy" on street tires. You're not going to like dirt riding much if you're constantly fighting with the tires breaking loose (until you get good at it and that's half the fun). Another option would be grabbing a weekend rental that's already set up for the dirt. I haven't ridden all of that route, but most of it looks pretty gently.... typical Sierras with some sandy spots and rocks here and there.
  11. V4jones

V4jones Large motorcyclist at large

Oddometer:
    DanT0007, when I pull that link up, I get a short stretch of Foresthill Road. No dirt. Can you post up directions or a road name?

Sorry, I can't help answer your question. I'm new to ADV and wanting to explore some dirt. I'm familiar with some in the Foresthill area. Being able to do some exploring on dirt is very appealing to me. I'm loving riding the ADV bike.
  12. Dirty Sailor

Dirty Sailor Weekend Warrior

Oddometer:
    Like the previous response, get some tires. I have Tractionator GPS front and rear, they are great tires, I commute to work and can cruise at 85-90 no problem. I took them in some sloppy mud and they didn’t do that well, but for normal dry, slightly wet trails they are good tires, a true 50/50.
    Look up soda springs rd and try that out in June when snow melts, or check out Sierra Nevada adventures, they have good rides. I’d be happy to meet up and ride the forest hill area
  13. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like camping at all, definitely keep the bike.
  14. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    I am missing something with the route link you posted. For me, it shows a nine mile trip on the foresthill rd, which is like a highway.
    However, in some way, I assume it represents a trip down ponderosa and swinging around through the yankee jims crossing. Done as a loop. For me that is an option during the early part of the year when everything in the nat forest is still snowed in. That route is about as tame as they come. But if you have no idea what your feelings are, it is a good place to start.
    Just did that run three weeks ago. One guy with us had street tires and shrinks when the subject of dirt roads comes up. But even he said it was all ok once the run was complete.

Dualsport riding is an exersize in trade offs. All determined by what you want to do, what drives you to get out in the wild and your skill level. For me, I need a street legal dirt bike so it can handle trail riding into the roughest places. Yet again, I am getting too old to go into the roughest places. Delema of it all...

Get really good aggresive tires and fry them spending most of your time on the street, VS dualsport 60/40 tires that do not do well in sand, wet clay, hill climbs.
    It is all trade off!

If you do not have great passion for the high country, taking risks, getting to the back side of the lake, seeing what is on the other side of the mountain, ect... Then dirt riding may not be for you. On the other hand, your current bike with tires may be just the ticket for your passions. It is all a compromise as to how far to take it one way or the other. Do you want to risk all the scratches, busted parts and such you may get from falling on your daily commuter?

I have bikes for specific purposes. Mild dirt roads,, rough trails, street riding.
    For so many reasons, these days, you need a street legal dirt bike. I guess there are those out there capable of buying the latest and greatest. But that is not me. I get something and the plan is to make it last. The way things are, I am considered old school.

Just did a very satisfactory ride yesterday.
    130 miles. About 40 of it dirt. 2/10th mile single track trail. I know my limits, was alone, am recovering from a broken fibula. So judgement kept me from the exploring of much single track. (My favorite)

[​IMG]
    bdesj likes this.
  15. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never ridden any Beemer, but get the impression that you aren't really losing much by riding that bike on the street. If you were looking mostly to ride the twisties with fast friends or looking for "a bike" for just for paved roads, something lighter and cheaper would probably make more sense, but since you already have and like the GS, do you really want to roll the dice on another bike? Just my thoughts on it, but I'm not big on changes, especially when big purchases are involved.

Haha, now there's an open mind! He did ask though, so your answer isn't like an unsolicited comment.
  16. DanT0007

DanT0007 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and perspectives. Regarding the map I posted, that route appeared earlier in this thread as a good route to take for newbies and I thought someone had said there are dirt portions. Having never tried it, I don't know and can't really comment any further on it.

My biggest complaint regarding commuting with the F800GS, or any taller bike, is that when splitting lanes our mirrors are at the same height as truck mirrors. And with Trucks being wider than cars they naturally hug the line a bit more. With that, I don't feel as safe riding on the highway as I do on a shorter, narrower sports or street bike.

Truth be told, I don't enjoy riding the F800 at all anymore. That should surprise no one since I have never taken it on dirt. That is why I am asking the question and seeking advice on where I should put my toe in the water to spark some joy in riding the bike again. If I had nobby tires and a more nimble bike I would be more inclined to just set out and try any route I find. But I don't want to get in over my head so that's why I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction where I can at least kick the tires a bit to see if it is something I'd like to pursue.

Thanks again for the ideas!
  17. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    The stretch of road on the map you provided is the foresthill road pavement portion of a loop that crosses the american river in two different places. Those two roads down to the river and up the other side are entirely dirt. As they are now part of a state parks system where the area was going to part of the reservoir created by the now defunct auburn dam, They are regulated as state park lands. Thus the true speed limit is 15mph. I suggest that no one adhears to the limit. That said, surely the route is a good one for dipping your toe. Even with street tires. That is easy stuff on any two wheel device you can think of!

GS800f... Hell, I am so removed from modern machines that I had to google it! I watched a review in spain that basicly said it is great on the road. They had street tires and noted quite a few deficiencies regarding taking it off road. They did some hill climbing and puddle jumping. Over all, amazing things can be done with any kind of bike. Its the rider and how the rider operates.

You, you need to get a better grip on EXACTLY what it is you WANT to do. Dual sport is a trade off to satisfy your needs.
    If you want to be able to take it at freeway speeds, you will be geared too high for serious trail riding. Go to work, go cross country with the gs like it is, you will never take it to the single track...
    Get a bike set up for trail riding and you suffer on the freeway. It all makes a difference on your decision and how you outfit your bike.
    In the case where money is no problem... go for it. Buy a new ktm. Otherwise I suggest you dip uour toes ever so slightly with the GS and find a way to test other bikes too before pulling the plug on it. You have never been on a trail ride? A dirt journey? A trip in the desert?

The GS is no trail bike. It can serve well to get you to where you want to go on dirt roads as well as many miles of pavement.

If I owned it, I would be afraid of being tied to the dealer for service. In my world, I have to be able to perform just about all of it.
    I’ve done some motor rebuilds, (not machine work), but certainly I do ALL the rest. 50 years of riding, I have changed all my tires.
    For me, the Gs has too much crap on it. But that’s how many bikes are now.

With 2 ohv’s and 4 street legal bikes, I have to do the work.

If I am reading you right though, you’d like to be able to ride your bike up the highway, then take the jeep trail to the back side of the lake.
    GS will do that fine under the guidance of an experianced rider.
  18. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, then I misunderstood your original statement. In that case, I'd be hard pressed to think of a better reason for thinking about a different bike!

I know most of the route posted, but not all of it. Ponderosa way from Weimar down to the river is unpaved and very easy, don't remember at what point the pavement starts going up the east side towards FH Road. Yankee Jims is a combination of packed dirt and gravel almost from Weimar until almost Forest Hill. Neat road! Also very easy technically, but with the caveat that if you DO go off it somehow, you will likely be in for a long flight followed by a rough landing. The turnoff for Shirttail Canyon remains "on my list" to ride- I know the turnoff from Yankee Jims, but have never taken it. The south end is unpaved, that's about all I can really say about it. The entirety of FH Road that is highlighted on your map is paved, as well as the connecting road in Weimar. The main route from Weimar to Iowa Hill to Forest Hill Rd is paved, though I'm not familiar enough with the roads around there to determine from your map whether your blue line stays on the pavement or takes a dirt option in there somewhere.

Dirty Sailor mentioned Soda Springs Road (keep going all the way to the end of FH Divide Rd on pavement, then follow the signs) for an option after it melts off. That's another really neat route (views!!!), a little more challenging than Yankee Jims, but still not too bad- thinking I could PROBABLY get through it in my 2WD pickup, but have not tried it. Anyways, to your original question (good route to try some dirt with your GS), while I can't vouch for the Shirt Tail Cyn part, the rest is probably a good option as long as the narrow turns and steep drop-offs don't bother you on Yankee Jims.
  19. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    There are many easy options an hour away from Sac. Try Quartz Mtn. Rd. that connects Sutter Creek to Fiddletown. Sand Ridge Road, Mt. Murphy Rd., Yankee Jim are all rideable right now.
    stewjames39 and The_Scottsman like this.
  20. moosehog

moosehog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding this next weekend? (May 18 or 19)