Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Parx400, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Dirty Sailor

Dirty Sailor Weekend Warrior

Oddometer:
    On regular dirt bikes... has anyone ridden Forresthill area or Georgetown when its wet like this? which is better for muddy conditions? Going to play in the mud tomorrow. Thanks.
  2. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a Sacramento thread for us weenie pavement riders? I'm headed out in June from Denver and wondering how the roads are below 5500ish feet. Lots of snow melting I'm sure.
    Dirty Sailor likes this.
  3. Dirty Sailor

Oddometer:
    This is the only thread I know of. The roads are always open in June. I ride the Tahoe area during the snow melt every year, it’s amazing.
  4. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the response, I'm from Colorado where the mountain roads are only clear of sand and debris a couple of months out of the year, it's quite a drag. Are your roads clean and clear pretty much year round below 5500ft? Assuming they aren't covered in moisture?

I'm planning on riding to Kernville then taking the foothill roads and 49 north all the way up north, the high passes don't really interest me I get plenty of that here.
  5. Dirty Sailor

Oddometer:

Sounds like a good trip! I don’t see any reason the roads wouldn’t be clear in June. hwy 49 is a good ride.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  6. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to road conditions in CA
    http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/mtnhwys.htm

The passes start opening in June. Lots of snow this year though.
    North on 49 is a great ride. From Mariposa to Coulterville is spectacular. Compared to Colorado we don't have high passes in CA. :lol2
    The roads are cleaner than Col, they use less sand here. But it's still there.
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that at all elevation? Or just up high?
  8. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    It gives info on all major highways in CA. There will be info if a road is closed due to construction, fire, landslide or snow. I usually just look at it to see if the passes are open. If the pass is closed you can usually get up to a point where they tell you.
  9. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, I meant putting sand down on the roads. Do they do that everywhere or only up high on the passes?
  10. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sand is mostly 5000 and above here around Nevada City.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  11. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    What she said. They don't use that much and if it's a well traveled road it gets cleared off pretty fast.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  12. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Who has first hand knowledge of the current snow melt? Please report.....

Foresthill road to Robinson flat...

Robinson flat to Wentworth springs road via 11 pines...

Wentworth springs road to ice house road...

And if those routes are open, are the snow banks on the side still just a solid mass of snow up there in the high elevations?
    Dirty Sailor likes this.
  13. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    + 1 on Wentworth please
  14. fuller

fuller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As of yesterday 6/1, Wentworth to 11 Pines to Mosquito Ridge road completely clear. Saw snow at the Robinson flat turnoff from Mosquito Ridge but didn't investigate further as I was late for home. Snow blocked Chipmunk Ridge between Hell Hole and French Meadows reservoir.
    Dirty Sailor, Smackit and Drop_Center like this.
  15. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that about the same elevation as Ice house?
  16. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    fuller, you d’man. Thanks.

So the loop is fine for those who choose the foresthill/georgetown run. (via mosquito ridge)

I am still wondering about points somewhat east of that highest point. fuller’s note that snow blocked chipmunk ridge and snow was seen at the robinson flat turn off gives me some indications. Anyone else with a birds eye view?

[​IMG]

I know, it’s early to try to get to the top...
    Dirty Sailor likes this.
  17. Wasapinepig

Wasapinepig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did Mosquito Ridge Road yesterday too, the trip up to Chipmunk from the lake is blocked by a big snow bank less than 1/2 mile from the top, it'll probably be passable by next week. If you are trying to get from Robinson Flat to MRR via the dirt road that goes past the fire lookout I took a hard look at the beginning from the MRR side and it still had 2 feet of snow covering the entry. There is always a drift in the shade there where the guy has his cabin about 1/2 way to the top from MRR, that is always the last to melt off. It'll be a few weeks till it goes would be my guess.

Just shy of Chipmunk,

[​IMG]
    Smackit, 2manyrides and Dirty Sailor like this.
  18. adventure808

adventure808 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Little early but on July 1st and 2nd I’ll be riding around the auburn area. No real plans on where to go, but I have a couple gps tracks I was going to try. Anyone up for a ride one of those days and show an area newcomer around? Experienced dirt rider but will be day #1 on a new to me 990adv.

I have GPS tracks for Foresthill to lost emigrant and soda springs, and a loop up between Nevada city and downieville. Anyone have other suggestions?
  19. Wasapinepig

Wasapinepig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anybody done the loop around French Meadows Lake yet, the one that spits you out on Soda Springs Road right at Robinson Flat., I was thinking about giving it a shot on Sunday on the supermoto, I know there are couple of spots that hold snow but Chipmunk coming up from Hell Hole this last weekend was pretty much devoid of any snow except for one little patch.
  20. Automatic

Automatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Western States run is Sat/Sun in that area so it will likely be very busy.