Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Parx400, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Wasapinepig

Wasapinepig Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks, just checked their maps and they will be starting at the high elevation first on Saturday, Everybody should be well down the hill by the time we get up to where they went by on Sunday. Even at that our route only meets theirs for a couple of miles from Red Star Ridge to Robinson Flat. Definitely keep an eye out for the masochists just in case.

We'll be going in and out on Mosquito Ridge Road.
  2. Wasapinepig

Wasapinepig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anybody was wondering the loop around French Meadows does not go yet. Just downhill from Red Star ridge there and multiple trees down plus some pretty decent snow drifts still. From the nice open spot with the volcanic rocks trailside just under there all the way down to French Meadows road is open and clear. It's just the part from Robinson Flat to there that still needs some work.
  3. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    Did the loop Monday from Robinsons Flat to Mosquito Ridge around French Meadows past Ahart camp then back up to the Soda Springs Rd and left back to Robinsons Flat. It was all passable on a big adv bike but big snow drift still on the Soda Springs Rd if you turned right towards Soda Springs.

Also attempted to cross over the crest of the Sierras yesterday on Paolini Rd from Graniteville Rd to Jackson Meadows and was denied by snow about a 1/2 mile from Jackson Meadows. Lots of snow for July!
    Wasapinepig likes this.
  4. bluegroove

bluegroove Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer:
    Buy NV bike and title it in CA? I'm thinking of buying a 2013 ktm 2 stroke from a guy in NV. Wondering if our Nazi-like DMV will hassle me. I would expect a red sticker and sales tax, but no other surprises. Anyone know?
  5. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    FYI - The snow is gone now on the road from Robinsons Flat to Soda Springs. Rode it yesterday and its in pretty decent shape.
    Has anybody ridden the dirt road recently from Strawberry on Hwy 50 to the Caples Lake on Hwy 88, aka the jump road? Last time I attempted it (10 plus ? years ago) the road was impassable as a result of large ditches dug out to prevent entry.
  6. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found a GPS track from 2012, it looks like it was very slow going to get through.

Attached Files:

7. moosehog

moosehog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a somewhat related note, a buddy and I are doing the Trans-Sierra Dual Sport ride out of Strawberry in Sep. http://www.dualsportwest.com/public/eventFlyers/19 Trans Sierra.pdf Has anyone done it before? Thoughts?
  8. Pintro

Pintro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a good ride + overnight camp suggestions!
    I am looking for some ride ideas to start from Sacramento. Would like to go higher up the mountains, to cool off a little. Find a good spot close to river or lake to wild camp .
    Big bike friendly dirt roads, fire roads .
    Any ideas ? What area should we explore?
  9. tpappas

tpappas Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did a 1000 mile NorCal loop and our first night was at Sardine Lake near Downiville. Great Lake! Camp at sardine lake campground, I’ll post the GPX file tomorrow.
    Pintro likes this.
  10. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this, last time I was down that way I had to double back on Mosquito Ridge Road due to 11 Pines bridge being out and no warning posted anywhere about it :dizave

Doubling back didn't suck, but it did impact my schedule a bit.

Going down 2nd week of September, looking forward to going all the way through this time :p3rry

Sooo many awesome roads in the region...
  11. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, I had to go back about three pages to find the Sac Riders thread! Anyways, heads up for another road closure in the Mosquito Ridge area. Blacksmith Flat Rd is blocked by a HUGE slide and totally impassable just a mile south of the bridge, no advance warning. I came in from 11 Pines, planning to keep going to Mosq Ridge and fill up in Forest Hill. About 15 miles from FH I was grooving on the awesome bumpy, patched asphalt and delicious switchbacks when suddenly there`s a mountain of dirt across the road with an orange "Road Closed Ahead" sign leaning against it. Got off the bike and walked up to take a peek beyond and it looked like a new Grand Canyon beyond the dirt pile- would be surprised if a world class trials rider could get across. I guess some clown moved the road closed sign from several miles back and left it right there. Anyway, instead of 15 miles to gas from that point, it's now like 50 or 60 miles to either almost to Hell Hole and back to FH or about the same distance back over 11 Pines and down to Georgetown. Glad I had enough gas, somebody else might not. Check out the pics in this article:
    https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/slide-closes-blacksmith-flat-road-northeast-of-georgetown/
    mike54 likes this.
  12. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. I have mistakenly run short on gas doing the foresthill to georgetown loop on my little bikes.
  13. Smackit

Oddometer:
    I think it's right in the blue circle on this map.

[​IMG]
  14. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty danged close, if not exactly. From the blockage you can see the powerhouse down below.
  15. DualDawg

DualDawg Been Lurking

Oddometer:
    Anyone have GPS tracks going from Foresthill to the Donner tunnels and into Truckee? Going to a buddies in Incline Village tomorrow at noon. Wanting to leave early and take the fun route from Foresthill. Experienced rider on 1190R, but not physcho, so decent fire roads preferred. Any estimates on distance and time assuming no major issues? Anyone want to join in from Foresthill to Donner/ Truckee? Depending on estimated time for the route I may have to leave at O’ Dark 30 if I do that route.

Thanks Jerry
  16. Smackit

Oddometer:
    Here's a route from Foresthill to Donner. Done it a few times on my 1190. About 3 hours or so.

Attached Files:

17. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the route mostly fire road type easy stuff on a big bike like my GS1250? Thank you so much for the GPX on this!
  18. Smackit

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's pretty easy. A few sandy spots and a couple of bumpy rock sections, but I've seen plenty of large adventure bikes along the way. If you don't have more offroad oriented tires, air down a little for better traction.
  19. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  20. DualDawg

DualDawg Been Lurking

Oddometer:
    Thanks Smackit. When I click on it and open in Guru maps it only shows as a straight line. Probably operator error on my part. Any help from anyone on getting this working? Is it working for others? Thanks.