Sacred Headwaters via Kemess Mine Road June 25th -29th: any takers?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Crooked Creek, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Maybe next time.

Current range is between 400km (according to the odo) at 120km/h (corrected) on the highway loaded and 600 km on my trip meter, taking it real easy. Correcting the odometer for slightly lower gearing and very optimistic stock speedo I'm guessing its really more like 335 and 500, but still decent. Should really GPS it, but according to my phone I'm indicating 116 or so at 100km/h. Keep in mind that I'm a skinny little man.

I am depending on good mileage for this trip, so I am going to try to pack light and take it easy. But I have a bit of a habit at going highway speed on dirt roads as the suspension handles it so well I don't really notice. FWIW, my bike is supposed to run premium, but I stopped that madness after a couple weeks of adding octane boost (as there is no premium where I live) and I haven't noticed a bit of difference. I have been carrying a little bottle of octane boost just in case, but from what I find I think it would only be necessary under certain high load, high altitude, high temperature conditions. But I could be wrong.
  2. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Free campsite right in Mackenzie with showers.....they might cost some money...its been a while since I've been down to that campground....but I think the campsite is still free.....

Take a pic of you and the bike in front of the tree crusher. You'll know what I mean when you see it :freaky
  3. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    You mean all campsites aren't free? Where I camp, they are :D. I was going to just pick a spot in in the bush somewhere, but thanks for the tip. Show might not be a bad idea, even just to warm up (though I'm not bringing a towel.)
  4. Mercenary

Oddometer:
    Ah....I hear that. Free camping is the best camping anyway.:wink:
  5. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    So I finally got a hold of the outfitter I was looking for and it is great news! He was very helpful and fuel is no longer an issue. Also, I may be able to do more packrafting than I had hoped, so I'm looking forward to that. Lots to do before tomorrow...
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Cool ! no fun to have fuel worries. my new to me DRZ is supposed to use hi test as well, I'll need to do the same test runs, hi alt, w/ load.
    it is real easy to haul ass on FS roads, its just those blind corners that hide what ever surprise :1drink
    I use one of those micro towels, uber small, does the job. i have a micro sleeping bag good to 6c or so, then I wear some fleece if colder, about the size of a football if corners were square, got it at Abby MC show
  7. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    I hear you on the corners. I always try to take it easy when coming in blind. Saved me from many a rock/fallen tree/wildlife collisions. I came within 6 feet of hitting a bear on three different occasions last trip; one being a big griz on the Golden Bear mine road who could have reached me with his paw if he wanted to. Also the scat traps they leave are super slippery and could wipe you out on a corner.

I'll have to check in to those micro towels. Or maybe should get me a ShamWow...probably would work. One of these days I'll invest in a good sleeping bag as well. Mine is twice that big and not that warm, but I did manage ok on the Dempster mid-may when it was cold enough to frost my tent. I hate sleeping in a bag with clothes on though.
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Don't skimp on cameras, make sure you take 2 in case 1 breaks...We're counting on you to take lots of pics for your ride report...
  9. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    I'll see what I can do...
  10. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    So, I ended up no being able to leave until Monday afternoon, but lots of miles and adventure already. Took a major offroad detour near Tumbler Ridge that ended up taking 6-7 hours extra, but I'm in Manson Creek BC now. Still haven't slept yet and looking to get some fish before taking a nap.

Oh, I have a SPOT now. Follow me here.
  11. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

SPOT ON!.............if this thread is going to morph into the RR.....I guess I better subscribe now :clap
  12. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    COOL !! :1drink:1drink How's the weather?
    Be safe, have fun- take chances-but not too many:evil
  13. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. Mercenary

Oddometer:
    CC...you always seem to undertake these trips during crappy weather. When I left Mackenzie this morning it was pissing with rain....

I do hope that it's much better up Manson Creek way.....:freaky
  15. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    that spot needs a fish symbol on it so we know when he nails a big un'
  16. RevyRider

RevyRider FXD Traveler

Oddometer:
    Crooked Creek,

I always enjoy your ride reports, I love the back country in this province, the Spatzi Headwaters areas that you like to access are of particular interest to me. I also enjoy the fact that you like to fish, semmingly as much as I do.

Take care, have a great adventure, catch some fish, and enjoy yourself.

Cheers
  17. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    cant wait to read report !
    :1drink
  18. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Sorting through pics now.

[​IMG]
  19. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see that smile in the only pic you have posted, so keep it up, lots of us will be looking forward to your pics, daily updates, fishing stories and all the excitement.

Have a great trip,
    gale, tete jaune cache:)
  20. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    So the ride report has begun. I'm not promising to finish it soon, but there will be lots of pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]