1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    The pain is real!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    We came to this little camp with an awesome alcove. Perfect shelter from the wind and rain. It was a bit early to quit riding but this camp was perfect considering the weather.
    20210502e - 1.jpeg

We settled in. The Hub Hacker is a true minimalist. He’s got these boots that have a removable liner that work great for stomping around camp. We scrounged up some dead wood. There were periods of light rain. We were quite happy with our position.
    20210502e - 2.jpeg

We were getting little glimpses of the sun between storm cells. This would continue into the night. Weather looked great for the rest of the week.
    20210502e - 4.jpeg

After a while we got the fire going. We needed some heat to cook dinner.
    20210502e - 3.jpeg

The Hub Hacker had a package of pre-seasoned carne asada. We forked it and put it on the fire. Next, corn tortillas were heated on the rocks along with cheddar cheese.
    20210502e - 5.jpeg

The Hub Hacker announced the carne asada done.
    20210502e - 6.jpeg

BAM!! Holy crap these were good. Arroyo tacos. We sipped whiskey and enjoyed our sheltered camp. It had been a successful day with The Hub Hacker’s bike not giving us any problems. We passed out and enjoyed the sound of light rain outside our alcove.
    20210502e - 7.jpeg
  3. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :dukegirl That looks soooo good!!

Jonathan
  4. jaksavage

jaksavage smooth and a little sneaky

Oddometer:
    My grand daughter would call that "a meat party".

I miss red rock.
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many thousands of years that rock has sheltered travelers?
    steved57 and outbacktm like this.
  6. orangebob

orangebob n00b

Oddometer:
    I bet if Jesus were a biker, he would have spent the night there, enjoying some grilled fish with bread soaked in self-made wine
    outbacktm and SlowerThanYou like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    ROOST SCRIPTURE: Those who have roosted hard on clapped out metal stallions, who have stayed strong during torrential rain, who stay true to ADV-Fundamentalism teachings will be lead effortlessly to shelter which will protect them as they drink the holy crow water and feast from forks over fire which will provide nourishment for another day of the same nonsense after a peaceful slumber in the dirt.
  8. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man that alcove and fire looks so inviting, but Joe, leave some fire wood for the rest of us!
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure what you’re getting at. You’re gonna have to throw me a bone. You a Sierra Clubber? SUWA?
  10. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just jealous!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe if you would just drop a pin on that overhang and share it with the rest of us we could have a good old week long revival meeting with about 100 ADV-F’ers coming together to renew their spirits and feel the unction of a holy toast. :beer
    You could take up a collection. Maybe lay hands on the broken bikes and some might be healed :muutt, :pope
    . Each night by the fire, F’ers could testify to the days tribulations and how ADVF teachings had saved their soles since they didn’t have to walk out.
  12. seaduck100

seaduck100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, that looks like a great gig! I like how you built that new wheel up for her. Very cool.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you better put everything down and go ride. Now. Do it.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hahahahahaha! Unction of a holy toast. Take up a collection. Testify. You funny. You know I won't be dropping a pin but nice try.
    Ginger Beard, theailer and Zubb like this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    May 3, 2021

Morning broke and we performed the standard routine. Build a fire. While you’re waiting for coals, pack some shit. Set your croffee on the coals and pack some more shit. Enjoy some hot croffee.
    20210503a - 1.jpeg

Time to give the 520 a little nourishment also. It was at this point that we realized exactly what the consumption of oil was. The Hub Hacker dumped in almost the full quart. Those engines only hold a bit more than a quart. Musta been dangerously low at the end of the previous day. Wow. The thing was drinking like a quart plus per tank of fuel. My assessment was the same as @mcrotty1. The valve seals were completely shot. It had good compression, wasn’t smoking excessively and there wasn’t any blow-by coming out the crankcase breather which told me the rings were ok. Unburned oil blowing out the tail pipe can only come from the exhaust valve seals. It would be leaking on the intake valve seals also but that oil would get sucked into the cylinder and burned. The exhaust is different. It drips down the valve but instead of getting sucked into the cylinder and burned, it gets blown out the pipe. Anyway, this was probably the most oil I’ve ever seen a bike use for one tank of fuel. Could we just keep adding oil and keep riding? That was what we planned to do. Just keep going and see what happens!!
    20210503a - 2.jpeg

There was a bolt missing on the side of the muffler. Oil was getting squirted out and acted like a laser jet and put a hole in the plastic. We mixed up some JB Putty and stuffed it in the muffler. Plugged it right up.
    20210503a - 3.jpeg

Hit it!!!
    20210503a - 4.jpeg

The route climbed up through mixed sandstone and dirt. Good way to start the day.
    20210503a - 5.jpeg

The Hub Hacker was pretty sure there wasn’t any oil left in his front forks. Springs were still good though.
    20210503a - 6.jpeg

We got onto a road that followed a wash uphill. Good sections of 3rd and 4th gear riding. We were covering some ground although we had nowhere we were trying to get to.
    20210503a - 7.jpeg

The 520 kept rolling farther from my house. It was running great and providing lots of satisfaction. I kept wondering how long that would last.
    20210503a - 8.jpeg
    mnTwin, ilten, GringoRider and 24 others like this.
  16. TheLastByte

TheLastByte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the face of a man who's shredded more on one bike than most of us will in our entire lives.
  17. scbob2

scbob2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I'm a bit late to this game, I just stumbled on it.
    Love the reports, and love riding UT desert.
    Had to chuckle when I saw you re spoking that wheel with a bottle of Old Crow there !
    finding one of your RR's when you're well into it is a great way to waste a day.
    Thanks Joe
    Joe Motocross and dano619 like this.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent coupla updates @Joe Motocross! Awesome seeing blue skies punctuated with white fluffy clouds - quintessential desert that is.

Damn though man, a quart for a tank of fuel...woof. Hope he has more packed than just that quart if you guys weren't going to be near a place that sells it. Those carne tacos look killer, that's one of my favorite things to cook on my adjusta over the fire when camping - thin cuts cook pretty quick and are out of this world when nice and spicy.

Dig the attitude - just keep riding and see what happens :D

Look forward to what comes next amigo.
    flying.moto, Joe Motocross and Zubb like this.
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of a tip that I learned from an inmate here. With summer coming on and heat rising, most cheese lovers have discovered the oily, slimy mess that most cheeses become when packed in our saddle bags on hot days. We can take lessons from the ancients that lived and worked in hot climates before the age of refrigeration and Ziploc bags.

Pecorino Romano (sheep's milk) and Parmigiano-Reggiano, AKA Parmesan, (cow's milk) were staples in the diet for the legionaries of ancient Rome. Cotija is a mild, salty aged Mexican cheese made from cow's milk and named after the town of Cotija, Michoacán. While these delicious cheeses won't cook up with the same pizza-like gooeyness as string cheese when rolled in a tortilla, they are tasty when sliced along side some dry salami or added to a cup of hot veggies or soup, won't turn to slime on a hot ride, and will keep well for many days on the trail.

[​IMG]
  20. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    Enjoying watching you two old characters out sheltering under ledges, cooking spiced meats on pitchforks, roosting like hooligans, fertilizing the land with motoroil... like the wizened prophets you are. Roost away, fellas!