1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ Profit
    Sparrowhawk and Bruincounselor like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We kept working our way through the desert on obscure sparsely traveled roads. This is where you find yourself. Where there are no distractions from those who do not understand The Way.
    20210503b - 1.jpeg

Son of a bitch!! Presiding High Council member Drey Dog was coming up the road in the opposite direction. He had cold beer. Really cold. Talk about divine intervention. This is the type of luck you have when you’ve completely surrendered to ADV-Fundamentalism. Drey Dog was heading out with his girlfriend to do some fat tire bicycling in this area. We yucked it up a bit and then headed in opposite directions.
    20210503b - 2.jpeg

We were working our way toward a village where we’d get supplies, gas, water and lots of oil.
    20210503b - 3.jpeg

That should fix all the problems!! The stuff is like gear oil. Maybe it won’t leak out quite as fast. Our real concern was that the oil consumption would continue to get worse. The Hub Hacker now would carry two quarts of oil between fuel stops. The plan was to give the bike a little drink a few times a day.
    20210503b - 4.jpeg

After our brief stop in town, it was right back out for more action! We had a general direction we were going but no real set route. This is my favorite way to ride the desert.
    20210503b - 5.jpeg

When you aren’t trying to follow a route, you don’t have to worry about looking at your GPS all day making sure you stay on track. Just go. At intersections, choose the direction that calls you. The Cottonwoods were just starting to leaf out and were brilliant. With a quick puff of smoke, the Hub Hacker veered in the opposite direction.
    20210503b - 6.jpeg

When you don’t follow a set route, it allows for lots of options to explore routes you probably normally wouldn’t.
    20210503b - 7.jpeg

We made some route decisions and ended up heading down a canyon that I’ve ridden numerous times but The Hub Hacker had never been down. It’s spectacular and I knew he was going to love it. The 520 continued to run getting farther and farther away from my house.
    20210503b - 8.jpeg
    mnTwin, ilten, GringoRider and 22 others like this.
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "...getting farther and farther away from my house."

Ominous.
    Ginger Beard and ItsDoAble like this.
  4. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    X2
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0! 10:1 odds our Reverend- F’er ends up lapping valves with a shoelace, a squeeze packet of honey and some salt under a petroglyph. He’ll then leave his own picture of the repair drawn in a mix of black oil, Croffee and mouse terds with the handle of his toothbrush. Future generations will marvel at the meaning of said pic.

Respect! :gdog
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hotstuff didn't go. There's no toothbrush. Too heavy.
  7. orangebob

orangebob n00b

Oddometer:
    You nailed it. :imaposer

I’m wondering already many years how Hotstuff can stand the smell after a couple of days roosting in 100F weather.
    Possibility 1 : Joe isn’t sweating and does not smell, not even after 5 days without seeing a single drop of water
    Possibility 2 : Joe has a secret method of hiding the smell
    Possibility 3 : hotstuff smells too, and her smell masks joe’s smell
    Possibility 4 : hotstuff doesn’t give a fuck
    Ginger Beard, dano619 and Bunyip1260 like this.
  8. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    Yes, JM runs a non-prophet organization ...
    Adanac rider and Bunyip1260 like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be the first time a cylinder head was removed in the desert. I'm a good drawer also. As for future generations, I'm gonna leave some documentation in the Minimalist Manifesto about not getting butthurt if somehow the term "minimalist" is misconstrued and used as a derogatory term. I think I'm already skating on thin ice here on Adventure Talker. Next, the term "Beluga" will be off limits. I fear a chair toting Beluga rider will take offense and cry if I keep preaching the minimalism gospel.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 6.24.05 PM.png
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Mostly Possibility 4.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Oh, I see what you did there! Tricky play on words.
    flying.moto and Trixie like this.
  12. satchmo3

satchmo3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps HH’s bike is drinking oil because he has a 21” front wheel..
    mcrotty1 likes this.
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extra credit given for toying with the mods. Well played.
    SenorCollin and outbacktm like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The Hub Hacker did a quick head-check off the rear fender and….
    20210503c - 1.jpeg

…...it was on!!! The terrain wasn’t technical but we were hauling ass!!
    20210503c - 2.jpeg

It was like we were flying through corridors on the Death Star from the first Star Wars movie.
    20210503c - 3.jpeg

The route followed the narrow canyon for 14 miles without any optional exits.
    20210503c - 4.jpeg

I was trying to stay tight which meant I was getting doused which felt good in the heat but didn’t taste all that great.
    20210503c - 5.jpeg

We bumped into this solo Adventure Rider and chatted. He had started at 7am that morning from his truck. It was about 5pm at this point. He was doing a HUGE day loop. He had camping gear along just in case he felt like camping for the night but the lure of the cold beer at his truck seemed to be pulling him back. By the looks of the amount of gear he had I would’ve guessed he had cold beer along. He had another 3 hours or so to go. Big day. I didn’t notice at the time but as I was studying this photo I noted that he and his bike had every tricked out piece of equipment and high tech gear that you could imagine. Something tells me that The Hub Hacker didn’t notice all the high end gear either. He either didn’t notice or maybe he just wasn’t letting on that he was jealous. The Hub Hacker and this guy are basically accomplishing the same thing (putting a grin on their faces through riding) although coming at it from completely opposite ends of the spectrum.
    20210503c - 6.jpeg

We continued working our way down the canyon which continued to get wider and deeper.
    20210503c - 7.jpeg

Soon we were at the river. Under normal circumstances, we should not be able to get across at this time of the season. Just another reminder of how dry it is. I purposely took this route knowing we could easily cross and wouldn’t have to double back.
    20210503c - 8.jpeg
    mnTwin, ilten, GringoRider and 28 others like this.
  15. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol2 :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Thank you for that laugh this morning @Joe Motocross; needed it.

And the updates...dammit man - stellar! I like how Drey Dog rolls out into the desert for some pedal power - looks like an old work delivery truck converted for solid purpose. Effin' awesome to run into him and then grab some of his cold beer; most definitely divine intervention that.

The riding looks out-of-this-world fantastic, especially that stretch running through the Star Wars landscape. Hell man, living the good life while dripping gear oil or any other lubricant into that poor 520 :lol3

Look forward to what comes after crossing that river (sad note on the state of drought man - saw a story about Lake Mead and the Colorado river being at historically low levels...bad stuff for millions of people. We had the driest April on record and May is bad too...have serious concerns about fire season...but enough of that talk in this RR).
  16. katoomon

katoomon Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer:
    The pulse of thumper traction in action, damn cool.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We shifted into cruiser mode for the last couple of hours. We were just covering miles until it was time to camp.
    20210503d2 - 1.jpeg

The route turned into a mellow road that snaked through some incredibly big country. These canyons are HUGE!!
    20210503d2 - 2.jpeg

We climbed up to a pass where we thought we might find a good camp.
    20210503d2 - 3.jpeg

We didn’t see anything striking as far as a camp but it was a good opportunity to give the 520 a sip of lubricant. We were going to make sure the old girl didn't get thirsty as we continued riding farther from my house.
    20210503d2 - 4.jpeg

After a while we found a spur road that led down toward the big river. A very nice camp presented itself.
    20210503d2 - 5.jpeg

I argue that relaxing on the ground leaning against your front wheel is more comfortable than those goofy camp chairs. Yeah, I gotta wrestle my way up off the ground when I want to walk around but I figure it’s good for me. I hear the secret to longevity as far as being able to keep moving is to keep moving. My dad is 90. He keeps moving. He rode bikes until he was 80.
    20210503d2 - 6.jpeg

We’d picked up some steaks back in town. The Adjustforks came out. Beans went on the coals.
    20210503d3 - 1.jpeg

The Hub Hacker is originally from New Mexico. That means that a supply of green chiles is always on hand. We slathered a bunch onto the steaks.
    20210503d2 - 7.jpeg

OK. I need to tell you guys that this is IT!! This is the culmination of what we are trying to do. Ride hard all day. At night, relax with some good food cooked over the fire and sip a little (or a lot) Old Crow. Do it again the next day. That’s all we’re doing. Simple. Good for the soul.
    20210503d2 - 8.jpeg
    mnTwin, ilten, GringoRider and 29 others like this.
  18. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beans, beans, beans......the musical fruit.....the more you eat, the more you toot.
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Maybe this segment of the RR scripture should be named the book of "Hub Hacker and the DS Valdez" :lol3
    dano619 likes this.
  20. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy Hell, @Joe Motocross !

What a pleasant first RR i stumbled upon sitting in the hotel room "working" :rofl

Life has turned up that ludicrous speed switch since my latest outing affording to share a whisky with @liv2day and since then, your story truly returned the magic! :bow

Thank you!

Somewhere between paying dues, building an airplane, kind of losing my job right about the time you rode out, then getting a promotion I simply could not pass up.... the ultimate ride is getting closer. Meanwhile, I will live on right here!

Happy days and may the ROOST LORD smile upon you! :freaky

p.s. i'm glad the Beluga i was gonna buy sold before i had the cash! travel light-er, travel wild-er! :photog