1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The more you toot, the better you feel, so eat more beans at every meal
    Ol Man likes this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Man oh man, you are talking my language. I can't think of a better therapy for repairing soulular damage than this right here! :kumbaya
  3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Very good. This is the purpose of ADV-F. To keep us going in a positive direction.

Building an airplane sounds good. The rest, not so much. It's a fine line between responsibilities/finance and having enough time to roost and keep sane. It's a bit of a conundrum. Do you work your ass off to make tons of money to retire and have time to ride OR do you work less and have less money but more time to ride? Personally, I feel it's a risky bet to bank on your body being able to do what you want once you retire. You may make all the money you need and more but if you can't do what you want to, what's the point? The flip side is having time when you're younger but not as much $. Sure, you got time to ride but can you afford a bike, gear, maintenance, fuel, food, Old Crow?

ADV-Fundamentalists generally fall into the latter category. Time>$. You don't own the nicest bike. You don't have the nicest gear. You perform ALL your own maintenance and repair. You make due so you can get another ride in. It can be challenging and frustrating but you ride.

This is a sign that you need to accept Fundamentalism as your lifestyle.

That mantra will be added to the Minimalist Manifesto.
    ilten, Johnny Kilo, liv2day and 11 others like this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    True dat.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    May 4, 2021

The next morning was upon us. Croffee. A few things noteworthy about the night before. It was a bit colder than our first night. The Hub Hacker’s bag was a very light down model that was rated to 30˚F. Well, maybe when it was new but definitely not now. He paid the price a little bit. My homemade elephant foot/puffy jacket combo worked but I noticed my arms were slightly cold as morning approached. Also, the sleeping pad that I loaned to the Hub Hacker seemed to be slowly losing air. He thought it might be user error with the valve but couldn’t be sure. We figured it was the valve and we’d see what the next night brought.
    20210504a - 1.jpeg

The morning was spectacular! We enjoyed croffee and breakfast as we packed and got ready to roost. We also had some tamales that we heated and packed away for lunch. Those were going to be awesome!!
    20210504a - 2.jpeg

And of course, a little nourishment for the 520.
    20210504a - 3.jpeg

We hit the trail. Our trajectory was continuing away from my house. The 520 had made it two consecutive days and we figured what the hell, keep rolling!!
    20210504a - 4.jpeg

We would stick to graded roads for the entire day. This was due to a few things but mainly the Hub Hacker’s fuel and oil range. We were low on food and water also. We definitely didn’t know how things were going to shake out. However, we really didn’t care how things shook out. We just kept riding and enjoying the sights like these giant fins with windows into other dimensions!
    20210504a - 5.jpeg

When the roads are flat and boring you just go faster to make them exciting.
    20210504a - 6.jpeg
    mnTwin, ilten, GringoRider and 22 others like this.
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wealth is a funny thing. Do you work your ass off to make tons of money OR do you work less, or do something you enjoy that pays less, and simply don't buy so much crap, or find less costly items that do the job.

Increasing income can be difficult, time consuming, and soul destroying. Decreasing expenditures is simple and often satisfying, plus you end up with less crap to take care of. A life of simple needs is just taking the Adv-F principles to every day life. There's the old saying " He who dies with the most toys wins." I believe "He who spends the most time playing with his toys and hanging out with good people wins."

Keep on roosting!
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
  8. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN

You guys have got it figured out.:jack

I look back and realize I did pay attention to you guys way before I saw yous on this here semi-religious site. .:eyes

I did so many things that I really couldn’t afford but sure as hell enjoyed em.
    I defied the financial planners in their expensive suits saying you have to have “minimum “ —a million bucks saved to retire and maintain a fun lifestyle.

Fnn liers they are.:2guns
    Almost 72, on a budget, but not broke.

My 5 year old cycle that I bought new at a discount cause the prettier new one is out does a fine job. And luckily I’ve managed so far to not have to pay anyone to work on it.
    El cheapo eh.

Thanks JM for showing me the light I was following was the correct one.
    :y0!
    ilten, bikerjim2000, liv2day and 6 others like this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The unfortunate reality and frequent misconception about work is that "time spent = money earned". Finding a way to make a living - either great or barely adequate - at less than full time hours or less than year-round is the trick. Or perhaps finding a job doing something you really enjoy at less than full time. Sometimes they pay well, sometimes not. But any way you look at it the availability of free time is critical and not easy to get to when you have a conventional job.

My advice to the young reader is to make sure you have the potential to earn real money so you aren't entrapped by a lack of opportunity. That can be education, skills, innovative ideas.

Of course there's probably nobody under 40 reading this :imaposer
    ilten, liv2day, Bhart89 and 6 others like this.
  10. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 38, I’m still reading. I’m even considering cutting down my adjustafork by a couple inches to fit in a smaller pack. I’ve even thought about welding on some hex and a 1/4” driver to the handle.

I’m sure the have made many an improvement since my 2006 KTM 300, but the bike can still outride me so…
  11. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha! Let's see how many more inmates keep sidetracking :photog

Good reminder though, of not forgetting that these goals are perishable for sure! And time is definitely worth more and more than money as it flies by.

I love your side-tracking explorations! One of my most lucky of the recent ones got me past the KTM drowning pool last year :p3rry i just picked a dirt road on a map that went in the correct direction and went for it. Didn't even know the name of it then :lol3
    [​IMG]
    I could definitely slim down my kit though! :hmmmmm

Meanwhile, less finances and more awesome ROOST! :lurk
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. mcrotty1

mcrotty1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Goat heads, typical Utah.
    I don't know about this winning talk. He who is first will be later, he who is later will be first.
    Seems like JM gets more air on the 500.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm talking about.

Nice tidbit of nonsense right there.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We dropped down to where the headwaters of the Big Reservoir used to be. This is a real trip to me. Pretty much the entire canyon bottom that you can see in the photo was filled with water at one time. You can see the light colored rock that forms a rim at the base of the cliffs. That was the high water mark when the res was at “full pool”. I remember that. I will probably never see that again in my lifetime. Now you need to go miles downstream before you encounter where the river spills into what’s left of the lake. This does allow for some exploring that wasn’t previously possible.
    20210504b - 1.jpeg

We scurried down near the river and discussed what a trippy scene this was. In the 90s, this was a hot spot for recreation. Boats cruising around, water skiers, campgrounds along the shore with concrete pads and brick crappers. A large boat launching ramp. Visitor center. All basically abandoned. No one hangs here anymore. I kinda like it better now.
    20210504b - 2.jpeg

Here’s an aerial view of the old Hite marina. The concrete boat launch is in the middle of the photo. It’s just a huge concrete slab in the middle of the desert. The river is ½ mile away from the boat launch. The lake currently starts 9 MILES DOWNSTREAM!! I understand the res is ⅓ to ½ full now. The level has been basically declining since the 80s. It seems likely that it will continue to drop to the point where the Glen Canyon dam can no longer produce hydroelectric power. As @liv2day mentioned, it could be a big wake up call for folks downstream soon.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 8.06.44 PM.png

We pulled into Hite to see what kind of supplies we could obtain. Of course the store was closed. Do not ever count on getting anything from this place including fuel. Total crap shoot these days. Apparently it is still in business but I haven’t hit it when it is open in years. One gas pump was still working so we filled up. The woman who runs the store happened to drive up to get a kayak. It was her day off and she was going out on the river. She sold The Hub Hacker a quart of oil. Excellent. We could continue in the direction we hoped and make a big loop.
    20210504b - 3.jpeg

A car pulled up and we moved our bikes out of the way so they could get at the one working gas pump. In the meantime The Hub Hacker filled the 520 with oil and lost the oil cap to the bike!! We started looking around. Couldn’t find it.
    20210504b - 4.jpeg

We got everyone involved including the people filling up their car and the store attendant. The Hub Hacker was rifling the garbage to see if he pitched it in by accident. No luck. We discussed his actions and retraced his moves.
    20210504b - 5.jpeg

Let’s take a closer look at that photo. What’s that on the footpeg? Guess we wouldn’t have to cork the crankcase closed after all.
    20210504b - 6.jpeg
  15. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ a senior moment? :)
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    I rode thru Hite on memorial day weekend. Was shocked that the store was opened and there were quite a few people there. The woman in the store said they arent referring to that area as lake powell any more but the Colorado river something or other and they are focusing on atv recreation now. Including new trails and relaxed regulations.
    Ive noticed before that there is a significant driftwood ring waaaaay up high along the canyon rim. Above the current pit toilets even. Any idea what years the water was that high? Must have been pretty early on..
  17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Powell is at 34.2% of full pool (24,322,000 acre-feet) and 140.8 feet below full pool (3,700) as of Wednesday morning.

Thu, Jul 14, 1983 was the last time it was full at 3708.34 feet. :y0!
    ilten, mcrotty1, Ginger Beard and 3 others like this.
  18. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was very close to full in 1995 when I was working at Wahweap as a houseboat mechanic. That spring the lake was coming up a foot a day in early June. It is hard to wrap your head around how much water that is when you think about the lake has close to 2000 miles of shoreline at full pool. I remember when they moved the Hite Marina downlake. I forget what year that was.

I am glad they still have gas there because there are no other options around. The nearest are Needles (if they still sell gas), Ticaboo, Halls Crossing, Hanksville or Blanding. And they are all far away. It is right in the middle of all of them. And right near that handy bridge crossing the Colorado.

Nice ride. I am enjoying it. I wonder how much farther away from your house Hub Hacker's bike will be able to make it??
    Ginger Beard, Foiler and Sparrowhawk like this.
  19. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20210603_190606.jpg
    Just thought I'd share...

Jonathan
    ilten, liv2day, Bhart89 and 10 others like this.
  20. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Decadence and minimalism with a bit of awesome all in one picture.