1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Pro. Extra points for boot still on. It's assumed the chef is leaning against his front wheel.
    svo_jon likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We put some miles down still riding away from my house. We stopped to regroup. The Hub Hacker mentioned that he had just seen an ATV route back about ¼ mile. Better go check it out.
    20210504c - 1.jpeg

Sure enough! Looked like just what we seek.
    20210504c - 2.jpeg

We followed the trail for a while and then stopped for a lunch break. We needed to figure out how the afternoon was going to play out. The trail we were on was awesome and we really wanted to keep exploring it but it wasn’t looking like the best choice. We didn’t have any food. The Hub Hacker was going to be pinched for fuel and oil. We had to get back on the main graded road and head for supplies.
    20210504c - 3.jpeg

We were getting some incredible views from the higher elevation we were riding. Another decision was upon us:
    1. Head for The Needles Outpost for fuel, oil, food and water.
    2. Head for Blanding.
    The Needles Outpost is another one of those places that isn’t all that reliable. Back in the day, there was a CRAZY woman and her husband running the place. There are numerous stories of incidents with her coming unhinged including two that I witnessed. Holy shit. Talk about a lunatic. I hear the new owners are more stable although they don't sell beer because it's against their principles so screw them. We probably wouldn't make it there before they closed anyway (if they were even open) so it looked like we were headed to Blanding.
    20210504c - 4.jpeg

The road was…...a road. Gorgeous scenery and spectacular views in magnificent country. Graded roads only hold our attention for so long though.
    20210504c - 5.jpeg

The pit stop was quick. We were set and now could ride whatever direction we wanted and camp wherever we landed.
    20210504c - 6.jpeg

We continued on graded roads that lead us into a long canyon. There was an old indian kiva that we stopped to check out. There was a local lady who now lives in the canyon who was showing her friends the kiva. We didn't scare them too badly. We climbed down in.
    20210504c - 7.jpeg

Pretty cool that this thing is still intact.
    20210504c - 8.jpeg
  3. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    ADV-F taken to the extreme:

flying.moto and outbacktm like this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^HAHAHAHAHA! That was good entertainment. That’s how most people are gonna ride those bikes right?!?!
    Ginger Beard and theailer like this.
  5. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'm sure. it will probably sell some T700s anyway.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    That opening is a ripoff of The Art Of Flight…

Still really dug it tho. Will watch the rest at work tomorrow hopefully.

Edit: Will watch the rest in a few hours at work, hopefully…
  7. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well I don't have a chair so front wheel it is...
    bomose, outbacktm and Joe Motocross like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We had hit the apex of our loop. We were now gradually swinging around and would work our way back toward my place over the next few days. The 520 had exceeded my expectations although I still wasn’t altogether sure it would make it back. It seemed like it had settled into drinking a little over a quart of oil per tank of fuel and wasn’t getting worse. Keep it topped off. Ride it!!
    20210504d - 1.jpeg

There are numerous “graineries” up in the cliffs of this canyon. The light was terrible at this time of the day to try and spot them in the shadows but we located this one. Cool.
    20210504d - 2.jpeg

The canyon was spectacular. Gorgeous. There are a number of people who live within the canyon and some do a little small-scale ranching.
    20210504d - 3.jpeg

The Hub Hacker approved even though we were still on boring graded roads.
    20210504d - 4.jpeg

We kept blasting up the canyon. We were trying to figure out if we were going to camp in there or keep going.
    20210504d - 5.jpeg

We decided to pull on the throttles some more and make it through the canyon before camping.
    20210504d - 6.jpeg

We pushed through the town that Drey Dog lives in and kept going. It was late. We were climbing. We were up to around 8600’ in elevation. The sun was getting lower. We needed to drop some serious elevation or we were going to FREEZE OUR ASSES OFF with the minimal gear we had.
    20210504d - 7.jpeg
    Ginger Beard, ilten, bomose and 26 others like this.
  9. Brainflex

Brainflex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mcrotty1 likes this.
  10. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dug reading this @Joe Motocross, sincerely. Enjoy the BS you blabber on about whilst showing off the phenomenal scenery and riding you have access to; but this struck a chord and I wanted to point it out. Especially as I approach the half-century mark this summer; getting closer to the age where I lost my dad (56). None of us gets out of this chaos of life alive, keep on movin' man.

And not to hijack, but you went dark @flying.moto for quite some time. Good to see you found this and chimed in. My house is open if you find yourself back up in the PNW bud.
    Ginger Beard and flying.moto like this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Serious man. Better punch it when you can!!
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We were dropping and things were looking good but we were definitely going to use all our daylight. We needed to get down close to the bottom of the basin. We were getting pinched for time and were going to need to camp soon regardless of how ideal the location it was.
    20210504e - 1.jpeg

We got within a few hundred feet of the bottom and pulled the plug. We found a level spot that someone else had found appealing in the past. They had left an old wood fired cooking stove. There was a shit ton of dead wood right there also.
    20210504e - 2.jpeg

It was a pretty spectacular spot with a great view over the desert. Gotta love it when a camp like this presents itself at the last moment.
    20210504e - 3.jpeg

We shuffled around camp getting our sleeping shit out and getting some grub ready. We were out of booze. Blanding is dry (not sure if that’s a mormon thing or an indian/firewater thing) and the liquor store was closed in Monticello. Whatever. We don’t care although no Crow in the coffee the next morning was going to be a bit harsh.
    20210504e - 4.jpeg

Yep, bacon wrapped chicken. The Hub Hacker hadn’t had it before. Side of rice and beans with peppers and onion.
    20210504e - 5.jpeg

Dude was blown away. Most folks are when they eat this on the trail.
    20210504e - 6.jpeg

Many don’t eat this well at their houses. It ain’t that hard. It can’t be according to the laws of ADV-F. The day was done. It would prove to be the most boring riding we’d do on the journey. I mean, it was gorgeous and we covered great territory but all on graded roads. Sometimes things just shake out like that and you can’t seem to work into any real meaty trails. However, little did we know, the riding intensity was about to get cranked to 11.
    20210504e - 7.jpeg
  14. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
  15. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    11!!? Bring it on, @Joe Motocross !! Last time I went after some 11's I survived by sheer dumb luck and good weather, while staring at a burnt out Bronco, that tumbled way off trail...

Lovin me some ROOST in between of study sessions!! :lurk:lurk

@liv2day Likewise, my friend! When we'll catch up, I will tell you all about my going-dark aviation shenanigans, and deliver something special I totally saw your name on in my travels. And strangely, it does have a Crow on it, although I don't know how old is this one! :photog
    Ginger Beard and liv2day like this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yeah, nice cliff hanger amigo :D :D :D
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    May 5, 2021

The Hub Hacker’s sleeping pad went flat overnight. He froze his ass off also. I had gotten up early in the morning to piss and put on every piece of clothing I had. I slept but was on the verge of being cold all night. Turns out we were still up at around 7000 feet in elevation which meant cold overnight temps.
    20210505a - 1.jpeg

Moving forward, we built a fire and The Hub Hacker proudly displayed his stash of green chiles. He’d wrapped up left-overs from the night before into burritos and had them heating over the fire.
    20210505a - 2.jpeg

Just keep dumping it in. It was working.
    20210505a - 3.jpeg

The chain was slapping a bit on the 520 so we pulled out the tools.
    20210505a - 4.jpeg

Before long, we were on the trail.
    20210505a - 5.jpeg

This was kinda a squirrelly route that we were on. Drey Dog turned me onto it a few years back. It’s a good escape route from his place in Monticello. Typical old mineral exploration route.
    20210505a - 6.jpeg

We continued to drop down to the basin. As per normal operating procedure, we had no plan. Our intention was to get supplies in Moab later that day.
    20210505a - 7.jpeg

It's kinda hard to get photos of The Hub Hacker. He basically camps right off my rear fender and as soon as I stop to whip out the camera his throttle is pinned wide open as he blasts by. Nice puff of smoke, thanks......
    20210505a - 8.jpeg

The Hub Hacker had a route in mind that he’d been on once. We were working that direction on routes neither of us had ridden. As often is the case with exploring, we found numerous trails to add into the mix for future rides.
    20210505a - 9.jpeg

The route followed this little rim for a short distance.
    20210505a - 10.jpeg
    Ginger Beard, svtride, ilten and 20 others like this.
  18. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of smoke even for a 2 stroke.
    Ginger Beard and flying.moto like this.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We crossed under the highway to an OHV trail complex where The Hub Hacker’s route started.
    20210505b - 1.jpeg

When we stopped, the 520 gurgled a bit and regurgitated some coolant from somewhere. The Hub Hacker couldn’t confirm if it came from the overflow so we sniffed around for potential leaks and checked the cap. All seemed in order. We added some water. Ride it!
    20210505b - 2.jpeg

Might as well top off the oil while we were stopped. Ride it!!
    20210505b - 3.jpeg

We entered the trail complex. It was ON!!!
    20210505b - 4.jpeg

The Hub Hacker was charging, wheelying over everything, not slowing down.
    20210505b - 5.jpeg

Up and down and up and down.
    20210505b - 6.jpeg

I was trying to stay close on The Hub Hacker’s fender to get good photos. I admit, it wasn’t easy.
    20210505b - 7.jpeg

We were in our element. We needed this after all the boring graded roads the day before.
    20210505b - 8.jpeg

It's not really “adventure” to us unless there’s some challenging riding. This rated as "adventure".
    20210505b - 9.jpeg
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Effin' love it @Joe Motocross! Solid riding man, great captures of the Hub Hacker doing the thing right; seriously dig the one of him riding under the 'up and down and up and down' caption. Snow-capped mountains in the background with incredible scenery in the foreground.

F*ck yeah!