Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know......Super high fire danger in the area.....the charcoal created zero sparks!
    karter18 likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    OK, I think I need to address the chair thing again as well as other comfort items like charcoal.

First off, ADV-Fundamentalists are not "anti-chair-ites". You could almost consider me a chair connoisseur. Just not when it's time to really ride.

The term "chair" is just an analogy for "too much shit".

If you're at your house or car camping or whatever, who gives a crap how much extravagant stuff you have? It's not like you're trying to pound whoops with your camper. Charcoal? Why not?

If you're trying to ride hard off road, it is imperative that you don't over pack. Bare minimums for maximum roosting. Only items of necessity.

A chair is one of the last things I can think of that would be called a necessity. That goes along with extra panties, french presses, cots, and all the other crap that riders in the beluga class try to wobble down the road with.

Don't kid yourself. If your goal is to have a deluxe camping experience, then by all means, pack a chair and your lipstick. (I might try a nice street bike rather than a KLR but that's just me.) But if you're actually serious about getting after it, well, you get my drift.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It was Easter Sunday. We fired up the bikes for another day ride loop. We didn’t have any goal for the day. Wander and check out stuff. We found this route that looked good.
    0FE17DE0-8DF2-4439-8979-2BBDB6A36936.jpeg

It was quite a fun route but didn’t really go anywhere significant.
    27B3CA21-7CA8-4CA2-BAEB-DE068DFD9879.jpeg

This was amusing. At one point we split up to look at different route options. I went through this gate to check out an old dugway. I then returned through the gate and pulled it closed again. Zaniac and I regrouped and decided we would continue on through the gate that I had just investigated. I opened it and we went through again. Zaniac went to pull the gate shut but couldn’t get it. It was too short. He spun it upside down and tried again. No dice. He started tracing the wires trying to figure out what went wrong. At this point I started laughing watching him trying to figure out the gate that I had just pulled closed not more than 10 minutes earlier. After he flailed away at it a bit more and I’d laughed enough, I went to assist. I couldn’t figure it out either!! Holy crap, we were in stitches. We finally had to scrounge up some more wire so we could make a longer latch to close the gate that we’d thoroughly tangled up. Idiots.
    90586F2F-E7A8-4F82-8425-6B02DED56F1D.jpeg

The route looped us around to our route from the previous day. Just great desert riding.
    53F0C858-168B-46FE-B91A-95F1926C81B1.jpeg

We needed some food so we stopped to take a closer look at this structure that we’d passed the day before.
    AF5CA105-E602-4E8B-8E33-3980F9AC3D31.jpeg
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It wasn’t what we expected. We thought it was an old ranch house but it definitely wasn’t. Church? But there were smaller rooms with chalkboards in them. School? Hard saying. Later we did a little online research and all we could come up with was that it belonged to the Boy Scouts for a period of time.
    1EF1F31D-92DE-4D35-9260-07AD0D23BF49.jpeg

We continued riding in the afternoon going in no particular direction.
    4201AC41-1F20-495A-8DD5-C9FE98BD8C17.jpeg

We stopped off at a local cemetery and found this gravestone of a very prominent person in the area.
    D7BB6868-0267-4DED-B5B8-2234FE5E409C.jpeg

Zaniac is on a brand new 500 XC-W. He is very happy with his new ride.
    4D078324-77EC-4FD6-BC1A-61FFCE6BB17A.jpeg

I really like my 500 also and was having a blast but I got a little heavy handed on the throttle coming out of this corner. Just a little overly amped up!
    3B2CDE2E-8EAD-4D52-A9A0-78429815BAE7.jpeg

We rode a few more miles back to the trucks and called it a day. I headed back to my house to button up loose ends and prep for a multi day ride that would commence in a few days. Zaniac went back to Moab to print more newspapers.
    52A4EAF1-7267-4B83-83BC-046577564361.jpeg
  5. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    I love it. The profit keeps preaching. I might have to convert from the Beluga/Winnebago mantra before I get too old to roost.
  6. ricko1320

ricko1320 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming, loving it. Tis the season !
  7. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Gate". LOL.
    I once asked a Colorado ranch manager if I could find work as a fence mender as a retiree job*. He said that as far as he could tell, nobody in Eastern Colorado had repaired a fence in his lifetime.

*What's not to like? Ride around outside, stretch some wire, shoo some critters back to the right side. Maybe work from a dirt bike if you're a minimalist repairman.

Great pics Joe!
  8. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    <Klay> Prophet </Klay> JM ain't in this for the money..
    imnothng and Thinwater like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    On the contrary Trixie, he spelled it correctly. Religion can be quite lucrative is what I've learned.
  10. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Car camping is fine. We do enjoy it to a certain extent. You get to sit in chairs and drink cold beer and have party lights strung out while doing maintenance to your machine with music going yada yada blah blah blah. But it’s really just an ends to a mean.

We needed to prep Hotstuff’s bike for multi day journeys so I started installing our racks which are just slots cut into the plastic where Voile straps secure things to.

Now, this brings up another ADV-F principle. Vanity. This can be described as: excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance. The context I speak of is your bike although personal vanity could be applied also. The point is that it is very liberating when you get past caring about what your bike looks like. It is a free feeling to not worry about scratching your graphics while dragging your bike down some rocky cliff on it’s side. Who cares if you have some slots cut through your plastic? Does it function any differently with holes in it? I’d argue yes, it actually functions better.

ROOST SCRIPTURE: People look at the outward appearance, but the ROOST LORD looks at the heart.
    E9DBD03C-A6A4-4D90-B6D6-F30E705F98A9.jpeg

You can never have too many. As good as duct tape. The Voile strap is the original that many other companies have copied. These date back to the 80s. Hands down the most secure way to strap gear to your bike.
    D654103E-CD71-483F-9481-887FAD78A4D4.jpeg

A stretch of excellent weather presented itself and it was time to do a multi day ride. Hotstuff had some commitments so she couldn’t start with me. She was going to try and meet me the next night. I rolled out with the least amount of gear I think I ever have. I was testing out a new minimalist sleeping arrangement. The gear you see on the bike and the clothes and pack on my back was what I had.
    76B6379A-8E36-4FD2-BEA4-3B661065ED3D.jpeg
  12. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    ^^^daang that's way light right there, next thing we see you'll be riding nekkid other than a helmet, gloves and boots with a bottle of Old Crow voiled to ur thigh :lol3
    karter18, Foiler, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  13. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    Yes. That is exactly how I meant to spell 'Profit'. In fact, I have paid a tithe and received the divine gift of an adjustafork. Shown here deployed in what I hope is a satisfactory steak and pepper sacrifice.

IMG_2472.jpg

However, I have not been able to live the true path of the ADVF purist.

Note the mid October 2020 camp site associated with the picture above: Beluga? Check. Chair? Check. Tent? Check. Stove... Oh hell, the only thing I am missing is a shade structure with LED lights strung around that has a full bar.

IMG_2473.jpg

I know I know. I could have blasted through deep sand and camped on the shore of the big lake if only I had listened to the teachings of the 'profit'. Head his warnings and be able to roost in unimpeded glory.
    Ginger Beard, rjnutt, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  14. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hanksville and the henry mountains, correct? love that area!!
    codebot likes this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Brilliant. I like you Codebot, you get it. You unashamedly sport a Beluga with all the fixins. You know your limit. You're not fooling yourself. I applaud your style. You've helped me make my point. I think there are a lot of people that have intentions to roll out on a set up like you have but hit some serious off road terrain.

Glad the fork is a welcome addition. I admittedly covet your camp slightly as I strictly always just roll minimalist. If I wasn't so damn addicted to finding out what is down every little freaking faint two track or sandy wash or single track, I could enjoy a deluxe camp like yours.
    Ginger Beard, codebot, Foiler and 3 others like this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Generally ADV-Fs try not to blurt out specific place names (unless they're already very well known) on public forums in hopes of places not getting overrun. See: Moab and all surrounding trails. It's bad enough that I continue to run my mouth and show photos of the areas I ride here on Adventuretalker. I really need to stop but I find great amusement in this. However, you won't ever see me posting tracks of my routes. I do drop enough hints for the savvy rider to be able to loosely roam through areas I cover. Seems you may be in that category. Probably best to keep a lid on it.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    April 9 to April 13, 2021: First multi day ride of the spring.
    I left my house utilizing graded county roads. The intent was to make it over the mountains and land down in the desert for camp.
    46AD8241-753E-4423-AE05-960C878AC796.jpeg

Temperatures were cool and I had all of my layers on while I blasted down the high speed roads and two tracks.
    62D80C38-208B-4F55-BB1B-9355C4780AB5.jpeg

Soon I got into a zone with more technical riding. A section of good single track snaking along some spiny ridges. I only had a couple of gallons of fuel on board and no food or extra water which meant the bike was nimble. This is the epitome of what the Adventure Rider Fundamentalist movement is all about.
    92080E5F-D3C0-4B8C-9060-90BB6FB2FA86.jpeg

I know this trail well. I got to a section where the trail turns to the left. Off to the right I looked at another trail that headed up a different ridge. It’s good to break out of your normal routine I thought, so I rode in that direction to do some exploring. Sometimes it's hard to deviate from what you normally do. In places where you usually go left, try going right. I figured I could do a little exploring and still make it into the desert that night.
    9D5570B6-698A-43B5-9738-61032F6C00F9.jpeg

I was ecstatic to be out riding with no plan and no responsibilities to think about. I decided to have some fun with my new pastime, selfie action shots. My method is to set up a camera and snap a shot as quickly as possible to keep moving. I find it fun to review the photos later and see if I got any good ones.
    4B46C12E-81CD-44B6-A7F9-76CB90F1FEFA.jpeg

I got up onto the ridge and found a trail that was about what I expected. Standard two track. Not as fun as the single track route that I deviated from but this was new and you never know what you might find unless you go look. Turn off your GPS and just wander. Let the terrain take you. It's liberating.
    ROOST SCRIPTURE: "I know all the riders of the mountains and deserts, and the roaming creatures of the field are mine."
    955CA691-89A0-4505-928F-7B55FAA70299.jpeg

It got a little fainter. Not a good sign.
    5A163A1A-B14F-48CC-98C4-17EC23AFD0BE.jpeg

It dead ended into a fence line. Dammit. I could see where I needed to be down below.
    033AD9F8-8846-48CB-BA93-4F210F1A2A86.jpeg
  18. mcrotty1

mcrotty1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's good to see you out on the 500, you lost a solid 100 lbs changing bikes.

Great motor on the 950 tho, miss it? It's coming back for trips with more transit miles?
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, more than 100lbs I believe. Funny, I always ask myself if I had to only own one bike, which one would I sell? For those readers who don't know me, I also own a KTM 950 Superenduro. The answer usually depends on which bike I'm currently riding. When I'm on the 500, that's the keeper and I could sell the 950. Visa-versa when I'm on the 950. Then that's the keeper! I don't fucking know.

Bottom line is that those two cover everything I like to do. Yep, the 950 will get more use. It's sick.
  20. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl My favorite bike is ALWAYS the one I'm riding right then.
    CrazyCooter and Thinwater like this.