Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. zacnzoe

zacnzoe bustnluc

Oddometer:
    The cult of JM. I hope our paths cross before we can’t ride together in this dimension . It’s a big beautiful world and your perspectives transcend all similar journeys! Cheers and well done!!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=AopWqv-eQFM&usg=AOvVaw0sd1DEHcPem6AEJAqjI1Tf
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Well, I definitely have my own philosophies on things and I could really care less what others think. I run my mouth because some might find that adopting one of these methods could benefit them and if I actually help someone out through this nonsense then we're all going in a good direction.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I scurried my way off the ridge and found out I was on the wrong side of another fence. DAMMIT!! How did that happen? Hard saying sometimes. Anyway, I followed the fence line for about 300 feet and there was a huge opening. Nightmare averted. Sometimes it’s a bitch to get back outside of private property you inadvertently got into.
    2BF87C95-99E0-44E8-A38F-A2E03817DC5E.jpeg

Next I attempted to get through a deep ravine following a bulldozed dugway that pushed through. Well, almost pushed through. It was washed out on the far side and I couldn’t climb out. It was thick in the ravine. I stopped in somewhat of a clearing and parked the bike. I hiked around and determined that climbing out of the ravine and continuing on wasn’t going to happen easily. DAMMIT!!! Gotta back track. Just part of the deal.
    946757FF-40F6-40BE-87AB-26C2A41564CD.jpeg

I wrestled my way out of the ravine and onto a dirt road. Soon I came to the spot where my original single track route came in from the north and intersected the road I was on.
    9E088A54-B2F2-4810-B3AA-DE0FE3493F99.jpeg

To the south, the single track continued and I hopped back on it.
    C9B9BA07-ADE1-4B07-B7A5-EADD1986ABAD.jpeg

At another road that I usually hop onto, I decided to check out the single track that continued south. Not sure why I’ve never taken this but it was due time to check it.
    DB66ECE2-9E68-41B3-B16A-2500375ECA19.jpeg

$$$$
    3CFB3620-8336-4E1C-BFE1-7BA723C52526.jpeg

This section was sporty. Lots of ups and downs and tight twists on narrow ridges.
    F6B11D3C-F23A-4789-984B-87D2050403AF.jpeg

I came to this. Uh oh. I’m not afraid to admit that this drop was scary. Steep, twisting, no run-out at the bottom. I was solo and my immediate thought was I shouldn’t do this. The only other option was to turn around and go back to the road. This is a bad conundrum for an ADV-F. Take your chances in making it through a hairy move to find out where the trail goes or turn around and leave not knowing.
    159F9C41-631A-42A5-BA9A-2A30B673BAE5.jpeg
  4. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, that looks wayyy sketchy. I know my limits, I would hate it but I'd have turned around..(hanges head)....

Jonathan
  5. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Come on ya pussy......you got the best equipment and you aren't overloaded......you got this! :lol3
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  6. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou TIA Supporter

Oddometer:
    That drop doesn't even look possible without an unpleasant ending.

Loving these episodes of the new season of ADVF...cliff-hangers and all! :beer Nice job catching the perspective of that drop, too.
    tommybelvedere likes this.
  7. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd do it. I have years of poor judgement behind me to back up that statement. :rofl
  8. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    And pics flatten the terrain!
    danh600 and CrazyCooter like this.
  9. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hold my Old Crow and watch this.
    yamalama, Foiler, ScotsFire and 2 others like this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    What’s that old saying? “Curiosity killed the cat” or something like that? Well, I didn’t kill myself but that wasn’t smart.
    5CBFCAF8-C29A-44AC-88CA-25C4873F8F11.jpeg

I quickly forgot about my stupidity and focused on the joy of finding out where this trail went. It spit me into this fun wash which eventually intersected another road that led me into a town where I’d get supplies and fuel.
    CC12DDDD-B853-4BEC-BB8B-E228292B0075.jpeg
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It’s easy to roll into town and hit the local burger joint. However, the serious ADV-Fundamentalist needs to restrain from making this too much of a habit. It’s not that I don’t enjoy burgers and fries. I love them. However, for maximum stamina and strength, which you need for maximum roosting, you need to fuel your body appropriately. Mixing in fruits and vegetables and other nutritious foods is crucial for endurance. So, the serious ADV-F sacrifices the lure of junk food in return for better performance. For the most part, everything the ADV-F does while on the ride focuses on being able to endure tough situations and avoiding meltdowns. Often the most rewarding sections of a ride are obtained during or after a trying situation. If you aren’t fueled up properly you are more prone to avoiding tough situations. The local supermarket is a better choice than the burger joint for sustenance and longer term roost rewards.
    61A6BC8C-F5E7-4653-80F1-0774C7DB0D42.jpeg

I stopped off at a reservoir outside of town and ate my carrots.
    9CAF613A-B16A-4684-AC1B-7B058F3E16C8.jpeg

Options are thin at this time of the year for climbing over the mountains due to snow. It was melting out fast though and it’s a bit unusual for this route to be clear already.
    8FF37857-E05B-4BDE-816E-8B179D6E11B4.jpeg

Ah!!! Made it. I had time for a little more riding before needing to find a camp.
    1BAE5726-8790-4264-BC5E-C151229706B8.jpeg

Riding was so freaking good!
    D2728522-6555-4C74-B5AE-24FA3B1CED6D.jpeg

I ended the day with a nice mellow cruise on a smooth two-track. Time for camp.
    84ACB48A-5786-4F9B-8FA3-5645532B1FE0.jpeg
  12. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if you considered be able to get back up that steep hill? If I recall correctly you have a rule about being able to get back up when you are deciding if you should go down?

Jonathan
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yes, that rule of thumb should always be considered. It's covered in the Minimalist Manifesto. The question you need to ask yourself is, can you climb back up a descent that you dropped, if need be? I'm not sure I could've climbed back up that. In this particular instance, it was not a concern though, as I could plainly see that if I made it down the decent, there were other options aside from climbing back up if things didn't pan out. Good work @svo_jon, you're thinking is spot on.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Now, I know I babbled on about eating healthy and I do believe in it. But, I’m not a fanatic in that regard. I’m not some sort of health food wacko. I’ll mix in a burger or some bacon from time to time. (yeah, I know, you don’t find whiskey in health food stores either - guilty as charged) I wrapped up some chicken tenders in bacon and stabbed them with an Adjustafork. If you want to blow someone’s mind out in the backcountry, definitely try this.
    65C581D1-A34B-47F5-BF47-2FFA64592D95.jpeg

I’m not going to lie. This is perfection. I had a salad in a bag to complete the meal.
    A0A5FA67-14D8-44BE-9CE8-76AA3AA71613.jpeg

I’m not trying to brag here. This is just how it’s done.
    5DC7F79D-ED0F-4020-8FE9-CCDF9487D978.jpeg

I deployed my new sleeping arrangement that I was testing. It consists of a sleeping pad, “Elephant Foot” style half-sleepingbag, combined with a down coat inside an ultralight emergency bivy sack.

Here is a long winded explanation of how this came about. I’d never heard of these “Elephant Foot” sleeping bags before. Not sure why other than I’m not really a climber. I’m aware of guys using down quilts for minimalism but not half bags.

Anyway, over the winter my buddy sent Hotstuff and I an old North Face Elephant Foot sleeping bag as a wedding gift. (gotta love friends who clean out their closets and “gift” you things they don’t want anymore) I was like, “what the fuck is this?” However, I quickly realized the brilliance here.

These half bags are meant to be combined with a warm coat for sleeping. This completely fits into the ADV-F strategy. We ALWAYS carry a down coat (even in the summer - you understand if you’ve ever been stranded overnight in the mountains). If you are carrying a full size sleeping bag, the down coat is rarely used while sleeping. This means you are carrying extra unnecessary gear. So, why not utilize that down coat we are already carrying? The half bag allows just this.

Taking this further, I instantly knew the impending doom of my old full size down sleeping bag. It’s a Mountain Hardware 15˚ down bag. I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with it because the fucking zipper ALWAYS jams. I threatened to send the thing back for years but all of a sudden it had value to me. I cut that fucking zipper right out of it like a crazed lunatic loving every sadistic minute of it knowing it would never jam on me again!! HELL YEAH!! I stitched it together permanently. BAM! No more zipper!! I also chopped about ⅓ of the top of the bag off. This resulted in a VERY small and light unit. Man that felt good!!
    2F6A16D8-CBA5-4422-8536-F5FD6E5CA58A.jpeg

This night was the test. It was going to get a little colder than I would have liked for an initial test but oh well! I could always get up and stoke the fire if I had to. I went to sleep knowing Hotstuff was back at our house tucked into our warm cozy bed chuckling about my little test.
    9AEE71CA-1D6F-41D7-8918-6E8D6F696F8F.jpeg
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Before I bought my down quilt, I looked around for down half bags that climbers use but they were few and far between. I think the adv-f modifications need to be documented in a separate thread in "Equipment". It takes unusual bravery to take scissors to a multi hundred $$$ sleeping bag. I'm not worthy
    live2ridetahoe likes this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Oh believe me, if you had a bag that was 10 to 15 years old and the zipper jammed EVERY FUCKING TIME YOU USED IT, you would not hesitate.

I should've taken some photos of the modification operation. I'll add this little technique to The Art of Packing Light thread.

One more bonus of this modification is the seasonal versatility. I hadn't noticed this before but the top half of the sleeping bag has a thicker down insulation layer than the bottom half that you lay on. So, in warmer weather, just rotate the bag 180˚ so the thinner insulation is on top of you. This wouldn't work so well before with the mummy type head opening. Your only option in warm weather is to unzip the bag if the fucking thing isn't jammed.
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, jonz and 3 others like this.
  17. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate zippers...why is it that the worst ones are on riding gear and camp gear??

Fucking amazing!!!

Jonathan
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Rolling light means no stove. Cooking is done over the fire. In the morning, a very small amount of coals is all that is needed for making some croffee and food.
    FAFF035B-37A5-4436-AA4C-A1C1359211B6.jpeg

The overnight sleeping kit test went well. Temps dipped into the low 30s. In the morning just before it was time to get up I noticed one of my shoulders was slightly cold. No complaints. This was a success. This method has dropped weight and bulk from my kit. Black stuff sack contains my homemade Elephant Foot half-bag. Brighter orange is the sleeping pad, darker orange is the bivy.
    1DE062D2-241E-445E-88BE-D65AAC8E5F45.jpeg

I used a few 1” Voile straps to compress everything together into a compact unit. Very pleased.
    930054DC-4072-49E1-BA31-1C99EBA5AA6B.jpeg

I “burrito wrap” the sleeping kit in a piece of pack cloth that I use for ground cover. Good protection for the gear. Now all I had to do was relax and enjoy the morning.
    A0F41A4A-7BE7-4B59-BAD2-D527F8D8C322.jpeg

Cowboy coffee is my preferred method for brewing. It is arguably the best and most simple method of backcountry coffee brewing. Dump grounds into a cup, add water, bring to a boil and remove from heat and stir allowing the grounds to sink to the bottom of the cup. Add a splash of Old Crow (aka “room for crow”). Perfect croffee.
    15386480-81A2-40F6-9E3E-7CF28ED8FA90.jpeg

Spectacular start to the day!
    ROOST SCRIPTURE: The afflicted shall drink, eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the Roost Lord! May your wheelies be forever!
    56F0004D-C067-4F16-BBDF-8212BA96A466.jpeg
  19. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neat formation in the Last pic, great lighting too.

Thanks
    Jonathan
    outbacktm likes this.
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    My route took me down a wash.
    D4943111-F9B1-4870-BED0-8ECD1BF5E585.jpeg

Lots of action in here!
    A26FD801-07BD-40E8-ACA6-260D14813472.jpeg

I got to a spot that was almost a “stopper”. Another couple of feet taller and this would’ve been too big for me to drop off.
    171F8CE1-0A84-42E0-B8C4-2DE2675ACCCD.jpeg

Soon I was onto graded roads.
    55465C16-04BC-4879-93C7-F5F6E73C35E0.jpeg

The washes were in good condition and I was thoroughly enjoying sliding the back tire through the corners.
    6D59F4D2-D3CC-425C-95AA-CE0709972012.jpeg

Hotstuff was about done with her responsibilities and was getting ready to roll out of our place in our truck with her bike in the back. We were going to try and meet at a camp that evening. Mid day, I mixed in some more graded roads to cover some miles and make sure I was in a good position for our meeting that night.
    877F8932-19E7-430B-B70D-7A09EC1D4800.jpeg