Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious who grades those roads and why? Are they ranch roads?

Thanks for the report...I look forward to every update!
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    As I awoke last Fri to start my beluga class pavement ride n camp weekend I heard the words of the Profit...imbibe, so on the way into West by God Va stopped and grabbed a bottle of ADV-F sermon water. Now I'm no major expert on bourbon but Old Crow is surprisingly tasty for $10, better than several $50 bottles I have on the shelf. No photos of the crofee but no chair packed either and notice the red label, makes ya wonder if JM is in cahoots with old Mr. Crow :lol3

20210423_191327.jpg

20210423_191348.jpg
  3. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yay whiskey and Seneca Rocks!
    DCrider likes this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Various agencies. County, Forest Service, BLM. Used for ranching, recreation, industrial, etc. Extensive network of roads and trails.
    powderpig likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Your comments bring up something that should be addressed at some point. Perhaps in a completely separate ride report: Adventure Rider Fundamentalism tendencies that spill over into Beluga Class riding. The "sermon water" is only one aspect. (I like that you make note of the "lightweight traveler") It could be quite amusing to apply some minimalist techniques to a maximum street bike ride.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Textbook desert riding at its finest. As I stated, I’ve found I like taking these “action selfies”. I’m a little self conscious about posting them on public forums though. I don’t want to come off like “hey, look at me!!” A big reason I do these is that when reading these ride reports, I like to see photos mixed in of people riding rather than just a bike parked in front of a great backdrop.
    C5C8FBEB-421B-4BDD-97C6-1E45CA38D72C.jpeg

Open desert. Nobody home. Perfect.
    1CF432A5-121C-4C35-B657-D9429767A82A.jpeg

I started to drift toward a more popular area. There are a number of marked motorcycle and atv trails in the area.
    C8068651-4F0D-4326-A4C6-E59566CC82F5.jpeg

I cruised by a camp of dirt bikers who were just rolling out for a late afternoon ride. One of them flags me down and randomly turns out to be a friend of mine. They had just pulled into the area and were out for the first ride of their trip. They were going to hit the Color Trails around Temple Mtn. I was thinking of something similar on my way to meet Hotstuff so I hijacked their group. The young crew riding lightweight two strokes now had an aging guy on a big 4 stroke to deal with!! Good thing I only had a little gas and no extra food or water.
    E5109B2A-EA2D-4400-A1DC-81802D1762BF.jpeg

They wanted to punch the Orange trail. This suited me fine. The Orange trail isn’t easy cruising but it’s not overly difficult either. There are enough rocky sections with little “step ups” that demand your attention. Lots of whoops also. This is terrain where you REALLY feel how much gear you have strapped on your bike. And it matters. These guys were already faster than I was so I didn’t want to slow them down more trying to get photos. The only one I got was this one where we grabbed some shade while one of the riders performed some brake adjustment.
    C5A1A090-2D00-4CC9-A4E0-054A5CC2B717.jpeg

At the far end of the trail, I bid my friend farewell and kept rolling up to meet Hotstuff. Our friend Zaniac and his wife were camped here also along with another buddy that I hadn’t seen for a long time.
    2406A85A-C398-4F2E-8FFC-DD73B7660D5A.jpeg

We were sitting around the fire when Janet stumbled in (far right). We didn’t know Janet. She was LIT on wine. Her teeth were stained purple. She wanted to use Zaniac’s chain saw. Yeah, good one Janet, nice try. Freaking totally cracked us up. Turns out she and her husband were out riding dirt bikes also and were camped not too far away. She told us he was sick and in bed but we learned the next day he was just beat-down tired and passed out early. Not sure where the illness part came from aside from Janet overserving herself Cabernet. We chuckled about Janet and then all passed out for the night.
    DD4768D0-04BF-4655-80AF-3E91F2DF6B68.jpeg
  7. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    This ^^^^^^

however I fear prophet Joe has already done this. It’s called ‘the art of packing light’ thread. many an intermediate fundamentalist over there are getting in the swing of things with their Baluga bikes.
    At this point it is also important to remind those that we need to make a distinction between what is a beluga whale and what is a full size adventure bike.
    I submit it is not the motorcycle. There is a huge community of KTM, Husqvarna, Yamaha, Honda, BMW riders that load these beast to the gills with junk. What is particularly humorous is the guy eschewing the Hippo and buying a T 700 or a 790 and then cramming 75 pounds of gear in a reckless 80, on the tank and strapped to the fender. Bah! Or the fellow making payments on a 1290 because it’s so badass off road (?) and then loads it down like Hannibals War elephant. Except the elephants were great off road. The the mega-pig, not so much. What he has is a fantastic road touring machine, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
    Conversely it’s funny to watch the clever ones buy 250’s so they can fly light and fast, and then conjur ways to attach a circus tent and small fridge to their ultimate machine. Double Bah!

I find my load out changes with the mission and group I’m riding with. Often the group pace is less then balls out. And a chair or (heaven forbid) the matching Helinox cot is completely in order. One might even pack a tweed hat and a pipe to look smart while musing about the days antics in the light of the communal fire. Lord knows my 1200 laughs at the suggestion a few more pounds would offend him.
    However if I’m exploring skinny bike terrain on said 1200 and know I’ll be sliding and roosting and jumping small canyons, the tweed hat stays home along with the rest of REI’s catalog.
    In the end it is a smorgasbord of ideas and equipment to be stirred and simmered and consumed according to ones appetite of the day.
    I yield my remaining time to the gentleman Joe.
  8. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Textbook desert riding at its finest. As I stated, I’ve found I like taking these “action selfies”. I’m a little self conscious about posting them on public forums though. I don’t want to come off like “hey, look at me!!” A big reason I do these is that when reading these ride reports, I like to see photos mixed in of people riding rather than just a bike parked in front of a great backdrop."

Joe I can't speak for everyone but I really like the action photos as it makes the ride report MUCH better IMHO. In fact I skip over most of the epic ride reports as there is only so much time. I always read yours though as I love UT and the story is usually pretty entertaining. It takes a lot of work to get those photos especially on a solo ride so that makes them even better. If I want to see a bike in front of something I will google it, to read and be entertained by a story then I will read your ride reports. Thanks for the extra effort.

Plus as an adjusta-fork user I like to see them in use and different recipe's for camping, etc.
    Jory, Ginger Beard, chudzikb and 5 others like this.
  9. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ yes!!!

Jonathan
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Solid Rant. Bottom line: be honest with yourself about what you're trying to do. If you're not trying to climb ridiculous loose rocky hills, take a Beluga and a chair. No shame. If you really want to get into obscure terrain where you're throttling through demanding situations, the Adventure Rider Fundamentalist movement is what you'll want to look into.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Very good. Thanks for the feedback. Definitely more Adjustfork meals and ideas forthcoming. We've been using those silly toys for about 15 years now and still come up with new ways to heat dinner on them.
    svo_jon, karter18 and Foiler like this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Morning broke and Hotstuff and I got the gear packed onto our bikes. I swapped out my sleeping kit for the one that Hotstuff prefers. (to be honest, I really like it also) I carry a two-man Big Agnes sleeping bag. Hotstuff carries the sleeping pads wrapped in our ground cloth/tarp.
    662B827F-ABCC-402C-9732-5D049B7E177B.jpeg

Zaniac’s wife rolled over the night before on her KLR. This is pretty much set up for pavement use. She does some graded roads with it. She’s honest with herself about how she intends to use this overloaded pig.
    E19AE3DD-BD68-4A81-A7A7-0E96A763DAE8.jpeg

Zaniac had his wife's trail bike along which she saddled. The plan was we all start off in a group and ride half a day together. At that point, Hotstuff and I will drift off and continue into parts unknown. The rest would loop back to camp.
    84F48EF3-2ECD-4468-84F5-4E44856CEBB5.jpeg

The crew wanted to hit the Waterfall trail which is a moderately easy single track route.
    6B31E604-F00E-4ECF-BBC3-39E57375E85F.jpeg

Excellent! The beauty of practicing ADV-F is that you can easily mix this type of trail in due to the minimal gear on the very capable bikes. The KLR wouldn’t be a real good choice for this stuff.
    5D204CCB-BC60-4838-97AA-5353FACCC825.jpeg
  13. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's your trick for tacking the action selfies?
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Well, the mechanics are simple. Stick a phone or camera or GoPro on a pocket tripod and take a video. Then get a screen capture from the video. Obviously the trick is to get good at framing the shot when positioning the camera. The other thing I find crucial is that the camera and tripod are easily accessible. Otherwise, it's too much of a pain in the ass to stop and monkey around. I just keep the stuff in my pockets so it's a quick operation. I'm more apt to take more photos if it's easy.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Our buddy Napalm was quite happy to be riding out in the desert again after missing it for a couple of years.
    49656F7A-4472-4A5B-BFFF-EA2E54654AB6.jpeg

Hotstuff and I had fully loaded bikes. We had supplies along for the next 24 hours. However, seeing as how we are ADV-Fundamentalists, it is no sweat to ride some technical trails. Fun if you can believe that!
    A9B6131C-8B17-443A-9D45-74CC72FEF5E4.jpeg

I probably haven’t been down this trail in 20 years. I forgot what a little gem it is.
    659A11D6-A8DC-4CE9-ABF5-820E534B5873.jpeg

I grabbed so many great shots that it is hard to pick which ones to include.
    EFD92EA6-3156-4B06-A1DC-C8D30760DB5B.jpeg

The crew was riding well. Everyone was completely enjoying the trail.
    E3669167-A7F6-412B-AC1C-B42F5D83C82C.jpeg

The trail drops down into a wash which it follows for the remaining distance.
    990B111E-A364-4197-8DED-0D6E5D70A38D.jpeg

The girls stopped to check out this very unique bridge. Amazing that it is still standing considering the torrent of water that rushes through some times.
    63E3D7B9-2E48-4AF8-AB06-88E919879A4A.jpeg

What a perfect ride!
    E670C7C7-8B5A-4BD6-9D56-295C4DA8C568.jpeg
  16. mcrotty1

mcrotty1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the grading of roads in Utah.

Land with a road on it cannot be designated wilderness. Once upon a time, state and local governments spent as much as they could grading roads to nowhere to make sure that would not happen. There was once a push for 5 million acres (square miles?) of wilderness in Utah. Some of the roads go somewhere, a mine or a ranch, some don't. Sometimes the road pre-dates it's eventual use.

There are a lot of legit uranium exploration roads in the areas Joe frequents from the cold war era. The faint desert tracks and dugways are almost certainly all of this ilk. Stake cairns, nuclear hazard signs, piles of hot rocks, there's some neat stuff out there. Or used to be, maybe the billionaire millenials in mercedes sprinters have stolen it all; plenty of room to haul swag in those things. That obelisk didn't last long.

Nowadays those roads are used heavily for recreation, every once in a while a popular one gets paved. I don't see the yellow 5 million acres stickers anymore.
  17. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed your crew's backpacks look kinda big and full. Wouldn't be better (for maximum roost) to carry the weight donown low and on the bike in general?

Jonathan
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, good observation. Zaniac's wife always has a backpack that looks huge. Not exactly sure what she has in there for just doing day rides. I don't question it because it doesn't seem to affect her riding. Same with Napalm. Those two look like they have more stuff along than Hotstuff and I do, and we're camping off the bikes!
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    At the bottom of the trail we bid our buddies farewell. They were going to hop onto another trail for the afternoon. Hotstuff and I were going to wander aimlessly.
    77DD8C17-80E2-4200-B329-CE1D4394335C.jpeg

We like to stop off and check out historical stuff during these rides. As @mcrotty1 pointed out, there was a lot of uranium mining done around here. This is one of the tunnels that has been barricaded.
    C6FAC1FC-45D0-425D-A03C-6CCD36FA5770.jpeg

We decided we would take the wash down past where my other buddies were camped and see if they were around.
    4902C199-30F3-45BA-AA04-B1CA338E99FB.jpeg

They were all out riding, but randomly another friend of mine was there getting suited up for an afternoon ride. Funny bumping into all these people I know out here. It is definitely the time of the season when people feel the need to stretch their legs and get into the desert.
    8B3F000A-78CF-48A6-B6DC-A2351102295E.jpeg

We drifted off on smooth two tracks as we put distance between us and the more popular trail riding area we were just in. While it was fun to see some people and ride some popular trails, it was time to get into more desolate and unpopular places because that's what we do. That’s our natural habitat.
    5D79BCB0-BF63-4FF7-8899-B0774CCD9497.jpeg

It was setting up as a warm dry spring. We were seeking shade during our breaks. That’s a little unnerving for April.
    72259CE7-166F-4187-96A0-37AC59D3704A.jpeg

It’s not that we don’t like people, we just feel better when they’re not around.
    67302825-04B8-43FB-B1EC-55129E4910A7.jpeg
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    OK, we're going to have a little intermission this week while a buddy and I hit the trail. This guy is a CLASSIC character. Dude can ride. He's loose. Should make for a good story............if his bike makes it.
    Zubb, Foiler, pcarreiro and 9 others like this.