Sacred tales of desert minimalism: Spring 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 7, 2021.

1. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That last pic reminded me of ride sand dunes outside of Christmas valley... I miss my cr125...

Jonathan
    outbacktm likes this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Believe it or not, you're likely better off carrying all you can stand to upon your person (within reason of course). Firstly, the weight is decoupled which makes the bike more stable. Second is "moment of inertia" which is basically the force or effort it takes to make something move or to stop its movement. That necessary force is decreased as weight is reduced, making the bike more responsive to input.

Obviously there's a point of diminishing returns here but you get the idea. Back to more Joe.
  3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Back to the regularly scheduled program.

We continued working our way down a wash. Weather was perfect. Riding was excellent!!
    20210411 - 1.jpg

Hotstuff had a handful of throttle as we exited the wash.
    20210411 - 2.jpg

At this point we were covering some ground on fast two tracks. It was getting later on in the day and we were going to need to find a camp. We needed wood for cooking so this location was obviously not going to work.
    20210411 - 3.jpg

I had a spot in mind for camp and we continued on in that direction. The rivers are REALLY low for this time of the season which was good for us since the camp I had in mind was on the other side.
    20210411 - 4.jpg

We climbed up from the river for a bit and found the spot I was thinking about. There was already some wood scattered around from the last time I’d been here a few years back.
    20210411 - 5.jpg

We’ve trained ourselves to get things in order before it gets dark and/or we get too drunk. Get some wood stacked for a fire.
    20210411 - 6.jpg

Get your dinner lined out. Get your bedding in order. Then you can relax and it doesn’t matter if you over serve yourself a little too much whiskey.
    ROOST SCRIPTURE:
    You prepare a table before me in the presence of the ROOST LORD;
    You have anointed my head with oil;
    My cup overflows.

20210411 - 7.jpg
  4. Krider1

Krider1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great post
  5. Rusty99

Rusty99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the photos and reports, I can smell those sausages !
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hotstuff was giving me an anatomy lesson with these bovine bones.
    20210411 - 1.jpeg

The pelvis is actually somewhat similar to humans. Yeah, I know, who cares. Bunch of bones from a dead cow. Big friggin deal.
    20210411 - 2.jpeg

At dusk we lit the fire. Man was it nice out there!! This little test ride shakedown for Hotstuff's new bike was coming together great.
    20210411 - 3.jpeg

Soon it was time to prop the Adjustaforks over the coals. Yep, the brats tasted as good as they look in the photo. We had some “deluxe” baked beans that we were heating in the cups to go with the brats.
    20210411 - 5.jpeg

“Deluxe” baked beans consist of any additional items you have to add to the beans. Options are limitless. I believe we had corn, onions and jalapenos for this batch of “deluxe” baked beans.
    20210411 - 6.jpeg

One of the best features of the Adjustafork is that it eliminates the need for a plate. Most Adjustafork meals can be eaten right off the fork. This is fully ADV-Fundamentalist compliant. We finished dinner and relaxed with a mild alcohol buzz on board. Can't complain about that day.
    20210411 - 7.jpeg
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    ^^^ nice, doesn't get much better than that, livin the ADV-F life!
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    After a solid slumber, morning broke. This is the sleeping setup Hotstuff and I use. It wasn’t the same as my ultra-minimalist ½ sleeping bag setup I’d been testing a few nights prior. Hotstuff is quite fond of this two-man sleeping bag. I gladly compromise and don’t push my super minimalist tendencies on her. When you have a female partner who rides a 500cc dirtbike and likes sleeping in the dirt under the stars, you make some concessions. But, to be totally honest, I am also a big fan of the two-man bag. It is MUCH more roomy than a standard bag and with two people it seems warmer. Much cozier for lovers than single sleeping bags.
    20210412 - 1.jpeg

Standard routine. Build a fire and get some croffee and breakfast on.
    20210412 - 2.jpeg

ADV-F exhibit 1: Carrying a chair is unnecessary. You can be comfortable without one by simply utilizing existing equipment.
    20210412 - 3.jpeg

This image didn’t impress me at first. It seemed overexposed due to the sun on the left side. But as I’ve studied it, I like it better. The La Sal mountains in the distance are unassuming unless you know what you’re looking at. The pink on Hotstuff’s helmet, pants and hat pops and is pretty cool. But most notably is her tongue sticking out eagerly going for another slurp of her cowboy coffee. She was apprehensive about this method of brewing at first but has fully come around and realized that it delivers a superior cup.
    20210412 - 4.jpeg

You just need to remember to not slam the last gulp. We had extra sausage from the night before so we put it into our morning noodles along with some spinach and peppers.
    20210412 - 5.jpeg

The morning was going so well that we decided we needed a second cup of croffee. Why not? We had no place to be. We added a few small sticks to our existing coals for some extra heat.
    20210412 - 6.jpeg

I find the key to cowboy style croffee is to bring it to a boil and then the grounds seem to settle to the bottom quite nicely. These came to a boil quick and we enjoyed another cup of hot croffee.
    20210412 - 7.jpeg

When you don’t carry much, it doesn’t take long to pack your gear in the mornings. Time to ROOST!!!
    20210412 - 8.jpeg
  9. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed a seemingly superfluous handle on one of your cups. I thought you removed the handles to save weight and make packing easier?

Jonathan
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Good attention to detail. We chop the handles mostly for packing. Cups are two different sizes. Nest one cup inside the other. That one stainless cup has handles that fold so no real need to get rid of them.
  11. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the tape on hot stuffs jacket......reminds me of when I did chair lift maintenance at ski area 100 years ago, had duct tape all over that green and greasy down jacket....good times!! Carry on, loving this!!
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Time to have some fun!!
    20210412 - 1 (1).jpeg

We were immediately into more great riding terrain. We were well rested and fueled up for a full day of Adventure Riding Fundamentalism.
    20210412 - 2 (1).jpeg

The morning sessions are often quite good because we roll out of camp without much in the line of supplies or fuel. Generally we only have enough water to make it through half the day. Same for food and fuel. The bikes and backpacks are as light as they get. This is the perfect time to thoroughly enjoy some single track.
    20210412 - 3 (1).jpeg

Our plan was to ride the west half of The Butterfly loop as we made our way to the next town. Lots of old graded roads that are not much more than a single track now. VERY good riding!!
    20210412 - 4 (1).jpeg

This hill got the best of Hotstuff years ago when she was first learning to ride. I think she was on a KX125. This time she pulled it no problem thanks to the 500.
    20210412 - 5 (1).jpeg

The route funneled us down a wash which intersected a confluence with another wash. We were about to pick up the pace a bit.
    20210412 - 6 (1).jpeg

Oh yeah!!! Time to shift gears and get moving!!
    20210412 - 7 (1).jpeg

I was getting LOOSE on my way down the wash!! Hard to make a mistake in terrain like this with perfect conditions.
    20210412 - 8 (1).jpeg
    Blaise W, bomose, svtride and 21 others like this.
  13. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Yes, but to thy fundamentals be true. I’m in the process of prepping my Minke whale class T700 for a trip and gave the Helinox chair some serious stink eye before finally tossing it in (wife is coming along, so that’s my excuse). WWJMXD? I ask myself that all the time for every item. Ounces mysteriously make pounds, and pounds make moto travel less fun.
    Bearded Hooligan likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Scribe speaks the truth!!
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Just screwing around here on our way into town.
    20210412c - 1.jpeg

We pulled into the park to suss out our plan. The most important thing was to do a weather check. When you roll minimalist, traveling according to what the weather allows is crucial. We wanted to roll north about 60 miles as the Old Crow flies to some old “coke pots” that I wanted to show Hotsuff. It looked like there was going to be a wind event that evening and overnight. Let me tell you, you don’t want to get stuck out in the desert when the wind decides it’s going to really blow. We hemmed and hawed about what to do. I studied some weather models to get more in depth detail about what the wind was going to do. It appeared that if we headed southeast we would potentially avoid the strongest wind. OK. That was our new plan. Time to initiate.
    20210412c - 2.jpeg

First, gas and asswipe (blue paper towels). Then we hit the market for food and water.
    20210412c - 3.jpeg

Next, more trails!!!
    20210412c - 4.jpeg

Hell yeah!! Now that our afternoon plan was initiated, all we had to do was enjoy the ride until we had enough.
    20210412c - 5.jpeg

We were hoping we weren’t going to pay the price for enjoying these routes with a vicious beat-down by the wind that night. We'd deal with that when the time came. In the meantime, ROOST!!
    20210412c - 6.jpeg

Hotstuff kinda missed this photo but you get the idea of what was going down. Good action!!
    20210412c - 7.jpeg

I missed this shot. Hotstuff was waving to the camera a moment before I snapped it.
    20210412c - 8.jpeg
    karter18, Blaise W, VDG and 21 others like this.
  16. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great advice about checking the weather JM. I got one side of my Subaru sandblasted over two days camping up at Slickrock campground in Moab one year. There was sand everywhere in our gear. We retreated into town and sought refuge at the Lazy Lizard hostel. Fun place if you are ever in Moab. They even own a split level ranch in town called The Watermelon House. Full kitchen, couches, cable and back deck to chill on.

Well, that was years ago. Might be dating myself here.
    Ginger Beard and Joe Motocross like this.
  17. Krider1

Krider1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just great stuff you guys including Mrs. Hotstuff are the sh_t .
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I can't reiterate enough how important weather forecasting is to minimalists. Lots of people concentrate on expensive tents, bags and other gear. It's cheaper and less bulky and safer to just seek shelter when bad weather moves through. Temps, wind and rain all need to be looked at daily.

Temperature is the easiest. Desert riding when temps are 90 or higher is not ideal. Go to higher terrain. When temps are really cold, don't camp down in the bottoms of canyons, washes or river drainages. Choose a site on a slight rise.

Wind is a serious concern. In general, I find that riding in the wind isn't usually an issue unless it's REALLY strong which does happen. Wind is more of an issue when camping. It's tough camping if it's super windy. But, if you know the wind is going to blow, plan accordingly and look for shelter on the lee sides of mesa's or rocky ledges. Knowing which direction the wind is coming from is key. Knowing the timing and duration is also key. I HIGHLY recommend the website/app Windy. Use the GFS weather model output choice. I think it gives better detailed info for the US compared to the ECMWF. Take a look at what the wind is going to do and plan your route accordingly. Often when big low pressure trough storm systems are approaching, we'll see serious southwest wind ahead of those systems. That's usually your clue to get out of there.

Rain is also a serious concern. Bottom line for me is I just don't find that we can really ride in the rain. Too much of the terrain gets so slick that you just end up eating shit and literally not being able to move. Front wheel locks up with packed mud. I know numerous people who've had to leave their bikes and walk out only to come back a few days later when it's dried out again. So, it's crucial to know about potential rain. Scattered showers can be dealt with. You might encounter a downpour that catches you. You get wet and deal with some spotty slick conditions. Tarps work for overnight showers. No big deal. But a longer duration storm system is what you really need to watch for and just not be out there when those move through. Yeah, you're high tech tent might keep you and your gear mostly dry but you're not going anywhere in the morning. Better be ready to stay there potentially for a few days until the conditions are rideable again. We just retreat and let the storms pass.

People get the idea that us desert riders have it easy. Yep, when weather is good, it's easy. But when it goes bad, it can go really bad. I can go on an on about the weather. I'm a weather model junky. I read models daily and often numerous times a day. The point is, know the weather and let it dictate what you can do with your ride. A little knowledge can replace lots of high tech gear.
  19. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sir, is great advise!
  20. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    This should be your sig
    bomose, Zubb, Foiler and 1 other person like this.