Sad BMW owner

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat: New Member Introductions' started by owenb, Apr 12, 2019.

1. owenb

owenb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Brand new BMW GS owner and ADV member. Bought a used GS with Touratech panniers and on 3rd ride I lost the left side lid! So sad.
    Is there any way I can get this replaced? Called Touratech and it is no longer available through them.
    Old style (square) style Zega pannier
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Aussie RK likes this.
  2. riggpigg

riggpigg Known,but not famous Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome, I would think any competent metal worker could build you one copying your other lid. Keep an eye on eBay and the flea market here on ADV, something will pop up Im guessing....Get some starboard and fab a temp fix until you find a lid??? Good luck.
    Steve G., RG1984 and Baccadon like this.
  3. KJUtah

KJUtah Just Kill Me Now... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just take the surviving lid...better yet, ride the bike, to a sheetmetal fabrication company. That aluminum lid should be easy to have made. Google "Metal Fabricator" in your area. There should be several around you. Are you in SoCal? Looks like by the Zip in your sig box.
    Good luck. Post up again if you can't find one. I think you can get something close to match.
    Steve G. and RG1984 like this.
  4. Der Kaiser

Der Kaiser Caped Crusader

Oddometer:
    You might also check some motorcycle salvage yards to see if you can find a set of side cases that fit your GS.
  5. Baccadon

Baccadon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Find someone with a finger bender that can weld aluminum and they will be able to fabricate your lid. My boxes in the picture were fabricated by my neighbor.
  6. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    tether the new one to the box. and write your name and contact inside the lid and the pannier.. I actually lost a pannier on the Lolo motorway in 2016. I think if might have finally been found 2 years later..lol .. we'll see
    jfman likes this.
  7. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer:
    Take heart. You are not the first to experience this dilemma.

BMW K100 mirrors were also known for jumping off the bike and coming to rest as tattered remains on the roadside. Don't worry about how I know that... :lol3
  8. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Owen,

Sorry to say, but you're probably going to have to fire sell that recently tainted GS.

It'll NEVER be the same for you.
  9. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those should be tethered too.
  10. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer:
    Indeed. From then on it became one of those items I checked before I bought the bike. The little wire tether is not a deal-breaker, but it helps to know what one is dealing with.
  11. MMcnamara

MMcnamara Athletic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, It's fully depreciated now...
  12. Kaffeine Keiser

Kaffeine Keiser Lifelong Two Wheeler

Oddometer:
    Check your local Craigslist.org
    Betcha a dollar, there’s one the looks exactly like your old one, for sale...
  13. mogsaman

mogsaman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Owen, Not sure of your location but if your in the St Louis Area I can help you with this. If not check with your local fab shop that would be a very easy fix!
  14. Ceddy17

Ceddy17 n00b

Oddometer:
    Could try to present the bike to a local welding school or alike and ask for a solution or ideas.
    Maybe they see the problem as a "real life situation" that could teach their students and help you out..
    Good Luck..
    Ed.
  15. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    After you fab the lid you'll need latches. Put feelers out for those as well.
  16. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Steal one, or use saran wrap until you find or have a replacement fabricated! You could also contact Bob's BMW used parts in Jessup, MD!
  17. MyFault

MyFault n00b

Oddometer:
    This seems like a nice thread to start my advrider adventure and say hello. :wave

I've recently purchased, as in 1st of this month, a new Royal Enfield Himalayan in black. To which, I'll service and maintain myself. Royal Enfield won't need to worry about warranty on this baby. Here and probably elsewhere, is where I'll glean support for my venture and I'll share back my thoughts and ideas.

A story about things falling off. A bar end weight. Wouldn't have like to have been hit by it and luckily when I went back to find it (I did) there were no police or dead bodies.

Checking the tappets on the Himalayan's first home service, I managed to lose the feeler gauge blade through the adjustment hole. :fpalm

As for your lids, have a go at making them yourself. Cardboard template. Try different styles. Rivet gun and some sealer. Luggage corners or freight corners or even an old steamer trunk (alloy may be thin covering), resized to fit.

And no, I really don't know what I'm doing. And yes, it's my fault :hide
    JackalHack likes this.