Saddles...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jcolombo, Aug 19, 2001.

1. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    Although I have not had the opportunity to go a long distance on the GS yet (soon, very soon), I'm curious as the the opinion on saddles. Without much data, the stock saddle seems to be a bit broad and flat to be very comfortable for me. I had a Corbin on the K12RS, which worked great, especially after doing the "drive in" thing and making sure everything worked right. Do I need to spend another $800 on this bike (front and rear) or is the stock saddle going to loosen up? Anybody like it?

I've considered the Russell/Mayer route, but I don't care if they were the most comfortable place in the world to sit - the look just doesn't work for me. Form over function and all that, but still - ugly is as ugly does. :evil

I realize this is one of those clearly personal items, but I'd be curious to hear the opinions out there.

-JC
  2. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just put in 500 miles of twisties and country roads...borrowed a friends airhawk for the last 100 or so..

Both of my k bikes had custom seats..No way I could have done that on my K100RS stock seat...ouch.

The GS is not bad-I recommend using the upper setting for longer rides to vary your knee angle a little. Bike shorts and the airhawk sure are cheaper alternatives to a custom saddle.
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Russell. Don't waste money...just get the best.
  4. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    JC,

While I eagerly await Russell satisfaction and comfort, I have come up with a temporary fix for the stock BMW saddle problem. I started with an el-cheapo sheepskin seat cover which helped a bit. However, after a couple of hours, the pain in the ass returned. My wife (an equestrian), upon learning of my difficulties, suggested I use a Cashel pad between the saddle and the sheep skin cover - she just happened to have one on hand that wasn't being used. The Cashel pad is a closed-cell rubber-like foam pad that usually is placed between saddle/blanket and the horse. In my case, it's between the sheepskin and my trusty steed (GS). The pad costs $23.80 new at Dover Saddlery and is shaped almost perfectly to fit over the stock BMW seat (a-p 17" size if you're interested. Just put Cashel pad in the search window and you'll find it). What previously was intolerable after 2 - 3 hours is now relatively comfortable. As an added benefit, the vibrations I previously felt coming up through the seat have been significantly reduced! Yes, I am now sitting about 3/4" higher than with just the stock saddle, but since I'm 6'6", I don't find it much of a problem. In addition, with the removal of the footpeg rubber insert, I now have an additional 1" legroom - way more comfortable. It isn't the final solution, but it did really help me. Here's a picture of the pad:

Attached Files:

• pad.jpg
      pad.jpg
      File size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Raconteur / Bon Vivant...i like it.

Tell me. Do you have boots like baldy's?
  6. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I find that Baldy's boots are a bit effeminate for my tastes. I prefer the attached - a considerably more manly choice...

Attached Files:

7. Visian

Visian Look out!

Oddometer:
    After an 8800 mile round trip from Atlanta to Redmond on my Russell, with absolutely no butt problems whatsoever, I can heartily recommend the Russell.

I also have a Corbin and can say good things about it, too. But for overall fit and finish (mine is leather ) the Russell excels.

And it's just getting to be winter time... a perfect time to order.

:legs
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Count me in as another Russell fan. I'll be sending my RT saddle up there in a week or so. :smile6
  9. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing 1,000 mile days I can mention that the stock GS is just not up the job. You can do surgery on them, remove some foam and replace it with gel, but if it sits in the sun... ohh baby your in for a "spanking!"!! I could not deal with the 8-10 week (sort -of) delay that Russell was giving a friend of mine... so I picked up a used Corbin. Wow! It's a LOT better. Still not ideal, but I have a gel pad I slip over it after 500 miles, and the simple swapping out helps change my position enough for another 500 miles. (Sick problem I have... I can not stop!) I ordered a sheepskin (from Whitehorse press) it is nice, comes with attachment straps but adding this onto of the Corbin put 2-3 inches higher so I was now on my tip toes... So I sold it to a friend who also did 4,000 miles with me (in a week this time) and after the Gel surgery mentioned above, he is VERY happy and the sheep skin keeps the sun off the gel. I think he paid $50 (at Sturgis Rally) to have the Gel inserted and the sheepskin cost another $50 but I have seen them cheaper. As you already know, Russell and Corbin are VERY expensive. I had to do some surgery to get my Corbin to work with my BMW top case. BTW, the CORBIN leather is glued to the foam and after a few thousand miles, tends to wrinkle... CORBIN will redo this under warranty, but afterwards it takes a few weeks (backlog) and more money to look good, but this does not effect the function... kinda looks like you have been on the saddle a bit so it's OK with me.

Attached Files:

10. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a Corbin back in March or '01 and have put about 16 grand on it and the bike. It is better than the stock seat, but I would rather have a Russell. The Corbin starts making me squirm at about 5-600 miles.

FWIW- Sgary Mc
    www.pbase.com/garymc
  11. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Russell wait list is about 2-1/2 months. Worth the wait.