Safari bike pics - past & present

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mike cramb, Jul 9, 2007.

1. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that’s interesting info

Remote reservoir shock ? Do you mean separate remote reservoir with hose or built in like crfs are?

If built in then I wonder how the subframe was molded around the shock.

Any pics of the upper shock mount mods?
  2. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the Yamaha Belgardas actually run now
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    The standard SHOWA production version shock absorber for the 1988 CR250R looked like this...
    with an integrated reservoir as part of the upper shock body.

[​IMG]

What modifications that were required to the chassis/airbox (if any?) I'm not sure...

I don't have any pictures of the modifications... all this (info.) is from vague memory (Nov 1989) when Mick and I were in Baja pre-running together and chatted about his 88' NXR bike build ans well his 1989 SuperTénéré Safari bike (which we were to race in the Baja 1000, a week later together with Chappy and AJC).
  4. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pete McDonald was telling me ted Goddard fully built the nxr for Mick. Ted worked in speedway in the USA or something and came back and built the nxr?

God that front forks look so spindly
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Okay… I’ll bite Richo…

These are the winners bikes (as far as I can remember)

1985 – Chappies XR600R – put together at Honda HQ with Peter McDonald… basically a production showroom version (probably printed and gone over) set up with a bigger fuel tank (XL600R?) and an NXR headlight/cowling… a leather tank satchel to put the A4 page roadbook notes in (Rahier and Hau were the only ones with roadbook rollers that first year IIRC?)… each page was discarded over the left shoulder after the last note negotiated.* 1985… the "white desert lily" Safari. Dunno what ever happened to that bike… @RED1 (duck) would know.

1986 – AJC’s Yamaha XT660… factory cylinder and exhaust bits from Yoshimura. Specially modded/weled XT Tenere tank (tingate) and the usual meticulous AJ prep. Plastic acerbis roadbook holders were the go second year around for most of the punters… many made their own (manual rollers) out of alloy sheet and perspex covers. AJC’s 1987 bike was pretty much the same… except with a bigger 680 donk, and an Öhlins rear shock… he aways ran Yokohama rubber back then. The 87’ Bike was in the Panorama museum for a number of years… might still be?

AJC #1.jpg

1987 – Chapstick on another Honda Melbourne prepped XR6…

1988 – Mick Goddard on the NXR650 (see post previous). Built by Mick and his dad Ted (I think Peter may have had a hand in the workshop too… he was an Oz dirt track champion at the time). I believe the bike was under Teds balcony covered by a tarp for many years… and saw the light of day, first a nuber of years back… where ’tis now… dunno?

1989 – Chapster the "the odds man" wins again on an XR6 – 3rd victory. His 88, 89 and 90 bikes were built with backing from Silvan/Alberti Industries and some help from HONDA Australia. A number of them were kept/mothballed at Eddi Alberti’s in years following… Steve and brother Mark (multiple ISDE medallist) were teamed up in 1989 on real trick rear tanked XR600R with WP front and rears. Mark binned hard on the day rund from Cobar to Broken Hill…

1990… some quiet spoken, unknown citrus farmer from Mildura won on a locally prepped and sorted XR600R (surprisingly stock one)…

1990 Safari bikes 009.jpg

A year later he had HONDA MPE and OffRoad Imports behind him… he won. With Pip Harrison built and Yap Williams fettled XR’s (some with a smattering of HRC and XR’s Only bits in them), "Hedge" repeated the feat 6 times… 1990, 91, 92… 94, 95 and 96… Six wins, from seven starts and one DNF (1989) on his Safari moto portfolio. I think he still has a couple of his winning bikes in the shed at home in Gol Gol.

1993 – Mick won his second Safari title on a well sorted (prepared in the shop at home) KLXR 650R Kawasaki… the 22 liter Acerbis tank, the Goddards Bark Busters and the innovative electric MD Alloy roadbook roller (first aussie to run one), were the only visual differences to the standard model.

The next year he rode same bike (with a bigger hand laid fiberglass tank – for the increased fuel range on the thirsty 650)… day two he had a little "off" in a gully - while trying to overtake a Japanese HONDA SUV (auto competitor)… split the tank, and the bike burnt to a crisp… That was Mick’s last Safari.

In 1989 and 1990 Goddard used a very trick Yamaha XTZ750 SuperTénéré to try and take the Safari title on a big twin. With the upgraded suspension (YZ internals in forks, unic steering damper and Öhlins rear shock) plus a host of other trick fits that shed about 20 kilo’s off the big Yammie… It went like a missile (took a bit of pulling up tho’) but Mick suffered pinch flat/punctures and tire failures a plenty in the 1989 Safari – and he finished out of the placings. At the 1989 Baja… we christened it "the BUICK" (AJ’s idea) and Mick also learnt about "bib mousse" tubes…

1990 Safari bikes 006.jpg

At the 1990 Safari (with another 5 kilo’s shed), Mick was leading on the big mutha into day three… until Hedge (2nd) found him i "la la" land spread out over a hectare of the S.A. desert… called me up on the UHF (I was in a media film car about 5 km’s away), and we then had radio in to fly Mick out in the chopper. That year went on to be John’s first win… that was the first time we ever met – taking care of Michael till the Chopper arrived - actually.

1997 – a former Mr Motocross gun from South Australia- called Andy Haydon – came to the Safari to try this rally caper; on an imported KTM LC4 640 Adventure. He won first time out. A year later he got an invite to tag along to the 1998 DAKAR on a factory 640 rallye… he came 3rd… first time out… Not bad – two for two rallies under his belt.

1999 – Stephen Greenfield gave HONDA it’s 11th and the XR 600R it’s 10th Safari win. With the HRC 630 kitted motor and his NT born and bred speed, he blitzed the field in the all NT event.

2000 – AC#10 came of age… he had crashed out of the 1999 Safari on his privateer LC4 660 Rallye. 2000, 2001 he won in the NT… 2002, 2003 he took out the Bathurst NSW based events, all with support of KTM Australia and HSE Mining. 4 straight wins… The last couple were great battles with the GHR Honda XR650R mounted, Paul Sinderberry.

2004 – another moto protegé from Honda GHR – Jamie Cunningham – took the one (and only) XR650R win, on the "big red pig". GHR had become the "name" team in safari stakes, and ran Honda’s rally and enduro/desert race program in Australia for a number of years.

During the two year break… the safari moved to WA

2007 – Honda GHR had moved to the CRF450X platform… and a young gun called Grabbo’ stamped his name on the trophy… ahead of the young Yamaha WRF450 mounted star – Jake Smith…

This ushered in the age of the "450" rally bikes in Oz…

2008 – Grabbo’ took the double for GHR and the Honda CRF450 again…

2009 – Grabbo’ defected to orange… While GHR recruited Jake Smith… and he won – three in a row for the red guys...

2010 – Grabbo on top of the box again, for KTM with a 530 EXC…

2011 – Jakes elder brother – Todd – joined the GHR squad, and grabbed the win on the CRF450X "Dakar spec’ bike"… GHR and the two Smith’s had their eye on an all aussie HONDA/GHR program at the DAKAR over the next few years.

2012 – Jake Smith – GHR HONDA CRF450… again… GHR were definitely the form team in the Safari scene at that time.

2013 and 2014 – Rod Fagotter used his expereience and a well prepped pair of WRF450R’s to win back to back Safari’s… form that took him to DAKAR and eventually a factory team ride in 2017, 18 and again next year in 2019 – with the official YAMAHA squad.

Other trick "factory bikes" over the years I remember at Safari…?

Rahier and Hau’s Marlboro BMW’s in 1985…

Paul Wright’s DR 750 BIG Rallye special in 1988

Cyril Neveu’s 1989 BYRD TTR600… had no sidestand, so he could not close gates… ahaha!

AJC’s 1988 Guzzi – the "Cunnyng-crusher", and his "tingate alloy tanked" KX 250SR in 1990.

Various Japanese XR250’s, Yamaha TTR250R and Suzuki 250 Djebel "specials" that came in the early 90’s.

1992 Sonauto YAMAHA japan sent out three pre-prototype Yamaha XTZ660’s – for Hideaki Suzuki, aussie "outback mac" Haigh and South African rider Jeremy Davies.

1994 there were a couple of French riders (Daniel Pescheur was one) on YMF Yamaha Sonauto TTR 660’s

Orioli an Mac Haigh’s Belgarda Factory TT 660R Rallye’s in 1996 were super factory… but the airfilters and stators were garbage = DNF’s for both in first two days.

Kinigadners factory LC4 660 Rallye in 1996… that motor was PURE factory (sounded like a Cessna at full noise).

Richard Sainct’s 1997 (Dakar spec’) Gauloise KTM LC4 660 Rallye

Coak, AC#10 and Andy H’s 660 factory bikes in 1999 – 2001…

The KTM 690 RR’s at the 2007 Safari…

podium 1.png

That’s all I can remember… :freaky
  6. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    Pretty well onto it there Trev. We built the bike together and I wrote it up on this thread earlier - check post #646, #672, #694 and #710. Checking back there it seems I promised to write up more stuff and scan images, but 8 years on, still haven't got around to it. One of these days...
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Some other trick "factory bikes" over the years:

AJC’s 1988 Guzzi – the "Cunnyng-crusher",

AJC 88 Safari.jpg

and his "tingate alloy tanked" perimeter framed KX 250SR in 1990.

1990 Safari bikes 005.jpg

Various Japanese XR250’s, Yamaha TTR250R and Suzuki 250 Djebel "specials" that came in the early 90’s.

1990 Safari bikes 022.jpg

Orioli an Mac Haigh’s Belgarda Factory TT 660R Rallye’s in 1996 were super factory… but the airfilters and stators were garbage = DNF’s for both in first two days.

Mac haigh TT 660R.jpg
    Sundowner, VDG, nevgriff64 and 4 others like this.
  8. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the history lesson @troy safari carpente
    As a bit of a Rallye tragic, I was aware of some of the details but /\ fills a few gaps.:clap:thumb
  9. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Troy, think all the winning GHR bikes were given/sold back to Honda Australia,,, actually doubt the Penguin would give anything away. :deal
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  10. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, you are a wealth of knowledge Troy, thanks.

Given (no doubt) many are still in private (original riders) hands, I wonder how many are in various museums around the country and can be viewed?

Theres references to a Bathurst bike museum on this thread, I know AC's 2005 Motorex bike is in a museum in SA (Hahndorf?)..... anyone know of others?

Winna (Darren Wilson) knows where a lot of factory 640/660/690 ktms are around the country... he was trying to arrange a get together of these factory rallys a few years ago, but it never happened due to a couple of issues (he got busy).... many/most of them would have been in the Aust safari over the years no doubt.

GHR and / or Honda Australia must have done something with all those 600/650's..... in the back of a wharehouse perhaps?

Interesting (reading waaaay back in this thread) the fact that there was a factory rally kit available for purchase for the DRBigs...
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    That's why Glenn walks the way he does... a penguin with deep pockets... :lol3

Seriously, I've always found Hoff' to be very generous with his time and reasoning... and he's given a number of "young guns" a golden opportunity start/leg up into the sport...

...but then again - I've never bought a bike off him.
  12. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I have a mate who resides up North , between Noosa and Gympie , he owns one of the GHR 450 CRF's , paid $ 25 K for it and I'd think it does not really have significant winning history other wise "Mr Mega Calves " would have upped the price and traded on it .

[​IMG]
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    ^^^That may very well have been one of the "CONDO" spec' bikes (just without the nav gear on the bars)... or maybe a "Finke" bike... with a big tank put on it...?

The GHR team had a number of different versions of the CRF450R's and X's in various Safari', Condo' and Finke trim...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... as well as various "customer spec'" rally hire deals for DAKAR and the Safari etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dunno' how many CRF's the team buit over the years, but in the more than ten year history of the team in "Safari" circles... I'd have to think it was more than 50... maybe 60 or so...? :dunno :ear
    VDG likes this.
  14. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about the ex 630 Ballard’s silver tank thumper Nats 600 in some museum in Bathurst I think. Might have to head up that way
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    XRHondafan likes this.
  16. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    I've owned (own) a couple of the GHR Safari bikes. The one below ran 2nd in 2012 the other one was a 2010 bike, one of quite a few that they supported that year.
    Awesome bikes, the 2010 one I sold to a bloke in Leichhardt for $5000..... he had no idea of the history and it hurt to sell it, but I needed to focus at the time :D It sounded great and went like stink!
    I think most bikes were kept and sold off one at a time, he probably still has the most significant recent winners as he'd want good coin for them. I know they were putting Jakes original Dakar bike back together last time I was there but that was a while ago now.

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 10.26.45 pm.png
    VDG, Jabba600, lurkin and 2 others like this.
  17. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    B E A S T
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Safari bikes...

GHR's own B E A S T.... the XR650R "supertanker"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was fuggin' huuuuuge...

[​IMG]
    VDG, richo360 and nry like this.
  19. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    It was possible to buy a GHR XR650R, I had details and seriosly considered buying on.
    I might even still have details stashed away - if I come across them I shall post pictures
  20. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did GHR get the tanks made by Safari or the like? Just wondering out loud, referencing my earlier question.... were these 80' 90's etc rally/ safari bikes made from factory parts or developed locally?