Safe route through Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by einnocent, Feb 24, 2012.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on road hazards. While the roads in Mexico are generally "fast roads" they are also lax in posting/fixing hazards such as potholes, so vigilance is a must. E.g. you are tooling down a mtn. with jungle flowers hanging here & there and all is well & beautiful-but- as you round the curve the road starts an area that gets water from a sidehill in hard rains and the road is covered with gravel or has too many potholes to miss! Not likely to be a sign like USA. Next e.g. is hwy construction, Mexico version,i.e. it may say construction or it may not; also it may have pavement variations that are dangerous. I was mearing Saltillo last year & the pavement was new and as I went down an approach of new pavement it suddenly met more new pavement but the meeting areas of that asphalt didn't blend into each other. The result was an abrupt 6"+ ridge that was enough to turn a bike at the given angle of approach! I was barely able to cut my wheel & stay up! I have also seen bridge expansion joints that were flat out dangerous. These are all common possibles and throw in a few aggressive drivers (I know, we have em too) that pass on blind curves & hills and you get the picture.Also, watch out for the open range cattle,horses goats,donkeys,etc.. That said it is the best riding in the world!
  2. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never ride at "ten tenths" of your ability in Mexico and never ride at night.
    Repeat until it has sunk in. Some of the roads are so tempting they will lure you into riding above your ability in a heartbeat and some days are just so beautiful you feel you can ride past sunset...and then the "Oh shit" moments start. The amplitude and frequency of the peaks and troughs of these moments are directly related to your outcome and how much laundry you will have to do.
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    :nod
  4. BoulderGuy

BoulderGuy out ridin'....

Oddometer:
    I've heard the "specificially dangerous" areas have the best taco stands. No, really, I wouldn't worry about avoiding a specific area as much as avoiding the road hazzards and getting off the road at night. Have fun!
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just returned home a few days ago after spending 49 days ri...driving.... around Mexico and Belize and put over 100000km on the odometer in those two countries. Never had one single solitary event where our security seemed at risk.
    .... although.... I must add that while trying to make a streetside phonecall in Cd Valles we were accosted by three operatives of a foreign sponsored psychological terrorist group I knew they were thisd type of terrorist because of their camouflage uniforms, white shirt ,tie , dress slacks and a black valise under the arm. Damage control mode saved the day and a few words and waves of the hand sent them packing.Ha! Take that! These psychological terrorists are exacting a heavy toll on Mexico and other countries.The US State Department should do something to stop their sponsors.:D
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  7. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    San Miguel de Allende... after reading that damn book, I just have to visit there someday! I wish I stopped by there on my MC trip from Seattle to Honduras last January.

The wife and I do a 'non-adventure' trip to Zihua every year or so for some sun and to visit the wonderul people in the area. Maybe next time down we will fly into Mexico City and rent a car or take a chicken bus and tour around on our way to the coast. I really would love to spend a few days in San Miguel de Allende, and the surrounding area.

Thanks for the reminder.
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one?

[​IMG]
  9. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    That would be the one...
  10. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    last year I rode from Nogales to ZIH took the auto pista to PV then HY 200 the rest of the way just leave the border early I was by my self and met the wife in ZIH-Ixtapa you will enjoy HY 200 I just dont spend time around the border. Have driven Mexico 17 times and never a problem let me know if you need to know some one in ZIH.
    Don
  11. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Nice second post there sunquest! :clap
  12. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1:rofl:rofl:rofl
  13. randyisanomad

randyisanomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode almost that exact route in 2009. The most dangerous things to cross my way were the topes and the pretty women.
  14. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree!

Finished a 16,000KM ride through Mexico, Belize, and Guat doing A LOT of back roads (dirt/gravel, etc) all solo and often random camping. No issues.

Get across the border and have fun!
  15. einnocent

einnocent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These replies are great and very informative -- thanks, everyone!

Any suggestions on where to cross over? The most obvious spot from SF is Tijuana, but I'm looking closely at Lukeville.
  16. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been considering riding Hwy 1 down Baja to La Paz or Cabo in early May and turned up this map of "hot spots" that may be helpful to you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/14/mexico-drug-war-murders-map

Scroll down a touch and then click on the map.

After much consideration, I have decided not to make the trip alone but would love to take the trip with a group (3-4) if anyone is interested in doing this. I would likely cross just east of Tijuana, head to Ensenada on day one and then take about 3 days getting down, spend 3-4 days near the southern tip of Baja and the 3 days back out. All paved roads for me. I am 66 and bones break to easily and heal too slowly nowadays for me. I'll arrive in San Diego (from Atlanta) on or about 4/30 and have about 30 days to do whatever I want from there.

Sorry if this looks like I am trying to hijack this thread. That is not my intent.

Vic
  17. Road Dust

Road Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. einnocent

einnocent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dad sent me this with the intent of scaring me:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/w...ing-ignored-as-gang-crimes-go-unpunished.html

I guess he didn't read the following:

"The five missing men are all Mexican, but as is common in border families, many of their relatives are American citizens or legal residents, and the gang members seem to fear American authority; the 9-year-old boy kidnapped from the first home was dropped off at the border right away, the kidnappers told the women, because he was born in the United States to an American mother who had contacted the F.B.I."

While it's tragic that these kidnappings are happening, it's good to know that kidnappers want to steer clear of Americans.
  19. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

It's a ways out of your direction, but Algodones just west of Yuma is VERY low key. Actually to enter you just come up to the gate and you are in. Directly on your right is the immigration office and a bank around the corner with a military guy holding a M16. It's in direct view of US border authority so very unlikely something will go down. If you have to wait you can gaze over the sick and elderly heading across the border to the "Purple Pharmacy" to buy all their pill popping good times.

I've been there twice in the last year and both times were a pleasure. When I came back the second time I went across Nogales which was way busier but still safe feeling.

Leave the states with plenty of time to make miles down the road. If going Baja, San Falipe is a long ride yet and you'll want to get there at the minimum before stopping for the night. Travel is slow once you cross until you can gain access to the highway going south of Mexicali. At that point it's straight and flat pretty much the whole way to San Falipe. If on a bigger bike you could probably put the hammer down here, but just watch out for Policia.