Safest/easiest intro to riding in Latin America?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Meter Man, Jun 7, 2015.

1. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mexico is anything but mundane. Its the obvious place to start IMO.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Your horizons are about to be broadened"

- Burt Lancaster, The Train
  3. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola pax maac,

come to Puerto Vallarta and I will show you some awesome places in the area.

We have also a room for you.

Saludos Jürgen
  4. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not sure why your post is so hostile.

I like that your post moved in a different direction after the first part.
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:

You judge Mexico by americanized Mexicans. That's just fucking stupid.

I'm not hostile. I'm serious. There's a big difference.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jurgen, don't be bothered with pax maac's having become "Mexicanized":lol3:lol3 or still acting American either:lol3:lol3...
    FWIW, here in Kentucky I've been accused of "putting on airs" as I've lived here longer than in Kansas. Go figure?:wink:

I find it "interesting" (is that the correct term?)that one would avoid traveling in a country, any country for that matter, no matter how vast in size(Mexico is rather large in pop. & geography) based on how some few citizens that went elsewhere to work/live became acclimated to another culture.
    The OP might need to go to Oaxaca and travel about for some language/culture diversity? :lol3
    I "did people" for a living in my 5th career and even the "Americans" were interesting to me-some of them.:rofl
    Now, back to the safest/easiest intro to ridng in Latin America?:wink:
    This is a good one.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    bannaman- have you read about the threat to the world banana supply? As they're all clones, the disease/pathogen makes it possible that we will lose that food source in the north where none other types grow.
    See how nice I tried to be in my post? Thanks for some clarity here on the Americanization. Truth be known some folks are just plain boring, no matter where their from. :freaky Have you tried the "American" Bud-Black Crown? Not so boring even though it's Americanized.
  8. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Mexico is still one of my favorite countries in LA and you're missing out if you don't get on your bike and just ride there.
  9. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Joy Divison thing.

I asked my cousin who it was he was playing. "Joy Division? Well, all I can say is that he sounds like he's going to kill himself". "He already did". "Oh."
  10. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Since some of you guys don't actually know me, and sometimes you think I sound hostile, I sent the op a pm, kinda like this:

1) Baja is the easiest because once you're through Tijuana there's no traffic.
    2) although any bike can go, a 650ish or smaller is better.
    3) pack the "ten essentials" and not much else. Keep total luggage under 35 pounds, and that's everything you're not wearing.
    4) get good medevac and mexico liability insurance.
    5) take a SAT phone. You can rent them cheap.
    6) don't plan an itinerary. Just go. Everything will be fun.
    7) ask your doctor for immunizations and travel meds

This applies for mainland mexico too, except for the traffic.

The op responded quite reasonably. But in the end it's his fucking life and he's welcome to fuck it up his own way. That's what I do.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has been sort of fun but I'm out of this one. People/OP looking for canned travel ideas on ADV just doesn't make any sense.
    FWIW, there are some relatively safe places that I'd never go back, U.S. Virgin islands as a prime example-cost too much and more negs. not listed. Every country I've heard of has Leo's and for a lot of good reasons?
  12. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The thing here is that the question seems like "I want to get my feet wet, which part of the deep end should I jump into?" It's a bit confusing.
  13. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see how it is confusing.

Asking advice is one way to prepare.

I know a lot of about a lot of things, but very little about life on the ground in Central or South America.

This forum is full of riders experienced in travel through these countries.

Why would I not want to glean as much information as possible?
  14. BobinBahia

BobinBahia Lifelong M.I.A.

Oddometer:
    If information were your motive, I'd agree. But good answers require good questions, which yours are not. Since your "questions" are so amorphous- which country is "safest..easiest" (??), seems like you're more interested in reassurance. I think you got about as much as you're likely to get. If you can't define what you mean any better, and find bananaman's gems (which you find "hostile?) and others' unconvincing enough to just get on your bike and do it, my own inescapable conclusion is indeed the "confusion" not to say dithering of someone unlikely to just do it. Hope I'm wrong. You're missing out on a lot tryng to taste the food from the menu.
  15. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    At the start of this Latin America regional forums thing is a sticky called link to ride reports Latin America,
    Start reading a few of them, every country is in there as far as LA is concerned, some RR's go from USA to tip ps South America and back to USA ... Start with the one by crash master... It very good and informative... :deal

Saludos,

:freaky
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Op, read post #34-dwindle a bit on "dithering" and take it from there...:D
    Me thinks that this thread actually turned towards a better, as in, more helpful direction than I had expected. You guys have fun headed south.
  17. BobinBahia

Oddometer:
    "Which part of the deep end?" Ha!

Sums it up! :clap
  18. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    The more Spanish you know, the easier it will be.

I know none and didn't plan the trip but survived Mex to Panama alone and without trouble/issues. Like jumping into the deep end without toeing the water first. And I'm still here swimming around CA.

You can easily think yourself out of doing anything. :1drink
  19. BobinBahia

Oddometer:
    Well put.

We've all seen it before. He who thinks too much and thinks more than he feels, and feels more than he does- is "lost".
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The whole "language factor" in a nutshell is personal interactions, not so much ANY! of the other stuff.
    You'll read yer maps, find yer bed & food & BEER and have a great time too BUT!!!!!! , a big :cryBUT:cry !!!!
    the :freakycultural exchange:freaky will only flourish with those few nice (mostly younger) folks down there that speak English. When I roll into an area, if I need English spoken for info I look for a college kid or some HS students for English. In many of the Peublo Magico towns & cities they have Leos that are designated as "tourist police" and they will speak English.
    Also quite a few I've run into that have worked the tourist trade enough to know English, then of course you have the USA jobs factor that lures many Mexicans here to work long enough to learn some English.
    Good thing too, cause my Spanish sucks!
    I took a short school but hearing loss combined with my age combined with the high speed delivery of many Spanish speakers adds up to me on short end of the stick... so I sadly, just get by...:D