1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SAfrican Best Ride Attractions

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by HappyGoLucky, Aug 8, 2005.

1. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Howzit All,

I am planning a ride around SA in around two months time :thumb and while I have travelled this country pretty much flat in a cage, this time will be on the two wheeled kind, prolly a 950KTM ADV S (more on that later). Because I want to make the most of our time on the road (off road and on), I thought I would start a thread here, where you could bring your suggestions of the best rides and attractions that SAfrica has to offer.

I mean that in every sense - bring your suggestions of the best tar twisties to ride, the most isolated difficult to reach and beautiful off road destination, the worst places to ride with regards to CAWPS :puke2, whatever floats your boat, would all be too cool.

If you'd like to chime in with your best equipment and spares suggestions, please do so! It would be cool to have an encyclopaedia of SAfrican based destinations, Africa specific mods on bikes, best equipment to use, and routes to ride.

Cool! Would love to see your best, this could be a blast - cheers :super
  2. grizz

grizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you consider connecting up with regional clubs ?

BMW Club of the Eastern Cape is very active on rides and there are some good and dedicated dirtriders there.

I used to ride with the guys when I lived there and must say, never a dull moment.

So if you are interested, contact them for a ride schedule (they do a year plan ) and see, maybe you and others can connect with them while you are in the area.

Hope this helps.

Rian
  3. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rian, good suggestion. ITs going to be sort of midweekish though, so I dont know if the guys want to ride during that time. Worth a shot though, will google their webbie.

Thanks again!
  4. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    A little slow down here... so I thought I would add some of my own best destinations to ride

Eastern Transvaal, Mpumulanga to some

1. Duiwelskloof
    2. Magoebaskloof
    3. Gods Window
    4. Pilgrims Rest
    5. Kruger National Park - can you go on in there on a bike? (dun think so)
    6. Blyderiverpoort - plus Bourkes Luck
    7. Sabie
    8. Graskop

Natal
    1. Nottingham Road
    2. Hilton
    3. Rosetta
    4. Oliviershoek Pass
    5. Underberg
    6. Mont aux Sources
    7. Giants Castle
    8. Zinkwazi
    9. North Pier in Durbs (not particularly scenic, just legendary)

Swaziland

1. (never been - anything worth seeing apart from a general route?)
    Western Cape

1. Table Mountain
    2. Gordons Bay to Rooiels Drive
    3. Grabouw
    4. Sir Lowrys Pass (cos its close by, and still a feat of engineering)
    5. Ceres
    6. Cedarberg
    7. Chapmans Peak
    8. Hex River Valley
    9. SeweWeeksPoort
    10. Ouberg Pass
    11. Sutherland (SALT)
    12. Knysna Heads + surrounds
    13. Wilderness
    14. Outeniqua TjoeTjoe train
    15. Four Passes (George)
    16. Seven Passes (George)
    17. Clouds End Hotel (George)
    18. Gamkaskloof
    19. Prince Albert
    20. Tzitzikamma Forest
    21. Gouritz Bungee Jump (whats the real name there, highest in world?)
    22. Swartberg Pass
    23. MeiringsPoort
    24. Plettenerg Bay
    25. Jeffreys Bay (for surfers)
    TRANSKEI

1. Kei Mouth
    2. Coffee Bay

(ok thats enough for now, my brains tired from thinking. Any more?)
  5. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    Howzit LITO

Sounds like a great little tour. You can keep yourself busy for many weeks covering all the places listed..... I know the area around Durbs and up into the East Freestate and Lesotho quite well. I suggest you stay over here for a few days and ride some circle routes. About 2 days should cover the best ones - Valley of 1000 hills - Wartburg - Stanger - back down the coast, and another day Hella Hella - Mkomazi Valley - Ixopo. Then up towards Sani pass (highest pub in Africa / must do) and either through Lesotho to Fouriesburg / Katse Dam or back down the pass. From Underberg one can get to Oliviershoek pass via dirt road along the foothills of the Drakensberg past Nottingham road, past Giants Castle, White mountain to Bergville and up the pass (Oliviershoek) past Sterkfontien dam and then through Golden Gate to Clarens. The Drakensberg passes is also a nice ride, Harrismith Area. And much more - how much time would you like to spend? You can sleep over at our place, my 9fiddy loves company.
  6. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    Sounds exciting! Can't wait to hear! What's happening?
  7. macduff

macduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    howzit george... nice idea this thread

on the west coast direction, i can imagine the coastal road to elandsbaai/lambertsbay
    further up on the N7, the road to Garies, then the coastal route to Hondeklipbaai and over the Wildeperdeberg Pass to Springbok.
    needs lots of juice, as i didnt encounter much en route from Garies on.

if the N7 is too boring (it is) one can go via Ceres to Calvinia, then on to the Knersvlakte to Garies

of course, this done in the spring - so the bokkie can smell some flowers, instead of your riding gear :D

going to bookmark this thread.... always like ideas for rides...... albeit shorter than what you plan on
  8. maverick

maverick Lost South-African..

Oddometer:
    Eastern Cape
    via Maclear over Naudes Nek Pass to Rhodes. All gravel and very nice sites.
    You can also aproach this from Barkly East or Lady Grey which will throw in another awesome pass called Barkly Pass.

Kei Mouth - Take the ferry into the old Transkei and if you email me I will organise you some place to stay at my parents if you want to, they live there :D

Transkei - Hole in the Wall, Koffee Bay and Port St Johns is wicked - take a small fishing rod :evil

You have covered most of the places I would like to see in the Western Province.

Maybe a trip around Lesotho or is the stone throwing still going on there? :huh
  9. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

Great additions, thanks! I think quite frankly that a time period of 2 weeks is really too short as we really have an incredibly magnificent country to visit. SGB, thank you so much for your offer in Natal, I hope you realise that its myself and my SO on the bike, though I am quite sure that my gear will be smellier than hers :D (thanks McDuff for that idea...:D).

Maverick, that sounds tremendous too thanks, and I might take you up on that offer too - sounds like you got family all over in the cool spots

What I plan to do is to get the route on the GPS, and then post a pic of that here, and you guys can comment on spots to visit etc. I will certainly try to program all the way points you have suggested, and then take pics of them. How cool is that. I was reading in Striking Vikings thread that theres some software that you put a waypoint in and if you click on the point, it takes you to the photos of that place, automatically. Wow

SGB, I am waiting today to hear if KTM CapeTown has the demo twin down, but nonetheless, I aim to get one anyhow. I want the blue S I think, but am quite keen on the new 990ADVS that will come out soon. I believe its going to have 20% more power than the current Toom, wow.

Will keep you all updated with pm's and public posts. Cheers! :thumb
  10. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    I assume SO and GF is the same person.... Something like Sweaty Pie?? No problem we can even start up the washing machine if things really get out of hand.:lol3

The colour is one thing, you will need to see what you can get. I prefer the '04 "S" model, they dropped the height on the '05 to nearly the same as the std '04. There were still a few left when I last checked. It really depends on how tall you are. I am not the lightest 950 rider in Durbs, but have not managed to bottom out the suspension too often, only if things get out of control..... You can discuss with Richard Manning at Alfie Cox Adv Sport in Cato Ridge too if you need more info - he knows the bikes quite well and he is easy to chat to. Agreed, the 990 is going to be great by the sound of things, but too long to wait. I also heard that the 1010 planned for 2011 is even better......:D
  11. maverick

maverick Lost South-African..

Oddometer:
    I must of misread and after crying in my beer the whole afternoon about how lucky you are going for two months :cry and I don't ever get the lucky breaks :1drink

Well ok 2 weeks, let's see that would be I reckon from Capetown mid centre to Melkbostrand via Blouberg die agterpaaitjie through to Durbanville then over that steep little bastard hill I used to cycle to kraaifontein onto the N1 to the Paarl gooi 'n regs towards Somerset Wes carry on over to Strand get onto Sir Lauries Pass towards Hermanus Wimpy for a lekker breakfeast and back :deal :rofl

Seriously two weeks work out how many miles you and ze lady :evil wants to have on a bike seat every day and if you want to take a break in between. It is easy to miss and enjoy the lovely spots and photo opertunities, mother natures fine "pannekoek & owerspel" spots etc :flug

We try to not exceed 200 miles a day which is not alot but get to see things and enjoy what's around us. It is a piece of piss to do 1000k a day but whether it was enjoyable escpesially for the pillion is another story.

Like I said if you need a place to crash and wash some clothes etc let me know and I will sort it out. We are lucky in the sense that our family lives from Northern Tvl to WP and inbetween :D Well except Durbs (Who wants to go there anyway hey :ksteve )
  12. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    :rofl

yep. heard about that 1010..:D

at any rate, I am not toooo tall, just under 6 foot, and I like to ride all the rocky, difficult, sandy, steep, stoopid stuff i can get, so the 05 S should be cool for me... tx for the advice tho, if I am durbies, I am going to hook up with Alfie Cox and see what pots there...

Well boeta, dont cry now see? I have to admit though, I could take 2 months, its the GF that cant :D

I have been invited though for a 4 month journey from Tierra del Fuego in SAmerica up and to Alaska... might still do that. DOnt know if I want to be away from the GF/SO for that long though.. I'd miss her too much

Ja, for me its not about trying to grab ironbutt badges day by day, but generally relaxing, having some fun, riding some miles, exploring some places, and have a few bites to eat in a few of the establishments... a fun time, as opposed to a mission, ya know?

thanks for the familial offers, I will get backtaya!
  13. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    Hey Hey watch out! You are on thin ice (not much of that in Durbs - other than the stuff in the whiskey...) Durbs area is great riding country, can even go out early morning in mid winter and not freeze your fingers off. (With aplogy to the BMW heated grips). Come have a look!:defend
  14. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    hehe I was waiting for someone from KZN to speak up..

Fact is Mav, is that I also like to think I come from KZN, even though I am here temporarily. Best place in the world to me (relative) is where I breathed the first few years of my life - Nottingham Road, first farm on left. HELL YEAH!

And then, I lived in Westville and Durban North and then for a coupla fun months in Zinkwazi before coming to Slaapstad. mmm, would take Durbies weather and warm sea anyday thank you!

(of course, Durbs IS looking worse for the wear, and believe me, its getting worn...)

Cool. Still love KZN tho - BIG TIME
  15. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    Most adventure ride in the world i would think is to ride thru the main streets of downtown jhb amongst the taxi's with
    a) Visible gold jewelry
    b) visible cash in your pockets
    c) food strapped to rear seat
    d) an mebbe a big gun strapped to your side.

good luck :D
  16. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    yes, but you missed one important addition -

a camera around your neck :D
  17. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    Hey Lito

I had a chat with Richard at Alfie Cox on Saturday and saw a brand new 950 ready to be delivered to its new owner. Silver '04 at R 92k. Not a bad deal - there are 10 of these in SA, apparently the silver ones don't sell well in Europe and the lower price is to motivate guys to compromise on the (high performance) orange paint.

Back to the thread's purpose - do you have any idea of dates and a route? Our "Round Lesotho" trip is taking shape and we will probably do it in October / November to give winter a chance to move North first.

Take care....
  18. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    nunu
    Thanks SGB,

I was thinking of painting my KTM RED - anyone a photoshop guru here? I tried, and the only thing I can do, is make them black and white. I have photshop, I have tried, I have worked with hue/saturation etc etc, but I am not making it as good as it could be. Perhaps we start a custom colour thread in OrangeCrush?

Back to thread! I dont have exact dates yet, but I was hoping in 2 months time odd. However, your trip sounds great, and I will keep a definate eye on that, and invite some others too if you like. Whats the group like/riding preferences/skill levels?

Cheers!
  19. Hellhound

Hellhound Rider

Oddometer:
    Testing 1,2,3.......
  20. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    So Testing, is that close to Peking or Wanking, I guess since you are behind the Boerewors curtain the Hellhound is a Boerbull, shame about the Blue Bulls on Saturday!!!

Anyway enough insults, the Welshman is just south of the Curtain and keeps Bull Mastiffs, but I do enjoy a beer in Cullinan on occasions there are some reasonable fast dirt roads in that area.

Welshman in Woodmead