1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SAfrican Best Ride Attractions

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by HappyGoLucky, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    The welshman always on top form i see :D

shame about the blue bulls , they were neutered then slaughtered...tsk tsk expect many a person north of the curtain was drizzing in their beer

cheers
  2. Hellhound

Hellhound Rider

Oddometer:
    Forgot about that one, fortunately I was away at the time. Check "Kalahari Desert" in Ride Reports forum.
  3. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I was looking forward to this one, but could not find the report?
    I just came back from a Botswana trip, unfortunately in a cage, but they won,t let you in the parks I believe on 2 wheels?

Welshman
  4. Hellhound

Hellhound Rider

Oddometer:
  5. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
  6. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Hi Gruebane,

Your dry sense of humour at its normal level, I haven,t made the Keg lately. Not too busy at work, so I have tended to get stuck in the pub on a Friday afternoon and a subsequent N3 run is not too good an idea. How,s the Strom running, my GS seems to have some of the dreaded rear wheel slop, I need to find out if it is the rear hub or just the drive shaft needs retorquing. There are great threads on the subject but i,m too thick to work out which it is (some engineer).

Welshman

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  7. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    Strom running like a darn train at the moment coming up for the 24 000 km service so i expect it to run even stronger after that...just prepping my credit card for the bill of that cause its the whole major service plus valve setting etc. Went thru to Dithololodge last weekend ,man the roads there sucked the large ,,deep corrugations an thick sand are not the stroms forte ,neither the riders i may add.

Should be a the keg this friday.

Hope its not an immenint drive shaft failure/ replacement unless of course its still under warranty.

cheers
  8. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately as a 1999 model I doubt if BMW will look kindly at it being warranty.

Did you see the deep sand in Hellhounds Kalahari report! Looks like fun, or maybe I am just a masochist.

Watch out for the infamous Jan Du Toit, they are putting the Angolan Expedition on TV Angolan Adventure - Supersport 1, DSTV (3rd @ 8pm)

Will try for Friday
    Off to Botswana Tuesday (bloody meetings).

Welshman
  9. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    I see the list is allready forgotten and the Keg has been the next route ;)

Anyway a question to you dudes who ride the living hell outa your bikes.
    Do you use GPS? Or just sense of direction and maps?

I am off to try out some routes or pathways in Grabouw this comeing week-end.
  10. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Can we bring this thread back on topic please, back to SA BEST RIDE ATTRACTIONS? Its gone very astray :norton.

I am digging the banter, thank God theres participation, perhaps we can use the SA ADV Riders Thread for this. Tx

on second thoughts, it might be too far fooking gone anyhow.... :rofl
  11. grizz

grizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about race tracks around SA..... where have you made another bikers name gat...?? especially sportsbikes on track days. These could be incorporated into a great ride... maybe even a loop which included 2 track days in your ride.
    Just a thought.

12. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    Track days are good fun, but tyres are an issue. TKC 80's are best for dirt / combination ride planned here, and if you are serious enough about dirt only - you will have Metzeler Karoo's on the bike. Both of the above does not give you the confidence to get windgat on the track amongst the GSXR's with slicks. You may also need to tweak the suspension a bit if you remove the panniers, GF and looking for speed through corners on the track. The fastest guy is the one who brakes best....

Although my friend with a Ducati 999 was very surprised when he was pushing it nice and flat through a corner (his perception) and a 1150 GS Adv with a standing rider came past on the inside.....
  13. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Once on a track day after sitting behind this R6 I was convinced I could pass him in the corner round the outside as he slowed me down in the corners. I followed him a few laps and noted that he brakes hard and then hugs the corner after the main straight. The only corner he was not all over the place.

So after the main straight, just just keeping up (Kilarney), I started my passing on the outside trick. Normaly I would not. So he decides to go wider and wider - so I passed him on the dirt. Dust every where and when I came into the pits the chaps were suitably impressed.

Now with the knobbles even Candyman can keep up on tar ;)

:D
  14. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Grizz.

Forum decorum - topic of thread:

Best Ride Attractions

Which tracks would you add then?

Killarney
    Kyalami
    Phakisa

etc
    etc

Let me know. And if guys can use any bike on the tracks or not. I have only raced SAfrican trials bicycles on Kyalami 100 years ago (it feels like), so I have no idea. Thanks
  15. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I accept the admonishment, I am dutifully trashed.
    We will try to be less disrespectful and stick to the thread, but I only say try.

WELSHMAN
  16. grizz

grizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only taken a Toyota Conquest around it.. but Aldo Scribante in PE is also said to be good, however I have been out the country 3 years this week, so dont trust anything I say.

17. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    drawn an quatered at dawn you will be.

Hey welshman ,i reckon u the only oke on this whole site that actaully uses a self portrait as an avatar....:D

cheers
  18. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    Lito,

Another great ride is the Namib Desert Run, not with the 800 crazy quad riders, but more or less the same route in a smaller group. The Molopo river - Namibia platteland - Khomas Hochland and then the highlight: DUNES :drums as far as you can see / dream / imagine.:yum A must on your riding calendar if you have not been yet....

Greetings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Hellhound

Hellhound Rider

Oddometer:
    If it does not kick up dust, it is not worth it!
    Life is a beach, better get an adventure bike to ride it!
  20. Hellhound

Hellhound Rider

Oddometer:
    Had too many beers back in civalisation, but isn't thread the last thing u see before riding on the rim? Sorry, will post my next reply when I have hopefully redeemed mysel... wife picked me up from the floor, bike will have to sleep outside tonight.