1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SAfrican Best Ride Attractions

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by HappyGoLucky, Aug 8, 2005.

1. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    I was at a bmw dealer yesterday just hanging out and this dude just fitted bridgstone tyres.

They made him late or he was late allready for an appointment
    They did not warn him about the tyres - to go easy on them
    He made a slippery pull off and drew a 3 - 5 meter black line
    He fell off.
    He damaged his bike on the Tar.

I did not see this most unfortunate incident, but goes to show new tyres are really slippery at first. One should expect every one to know this. But hey we human and need our fellow riders and dealers to remind us all the time.

I put my 1st set of knobbles on last week in the downpour of rain. I was extremely carefull, but still they were slippery. Little skidding every where.
  2. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Hellhoud I see you at the boerewors curtain. Is that on the curtain, below the curtain or above it.

As this is confusing a bit........
  3. grizz

grizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in the Uk, the dealers put a big warning sticker over the bottom of the invoice and make a point of warning and preaching to you about it.
    I once had the displeasure of seeing an older gent (Oompie) leave with a shiny almost new Goldwing from BMW in Bloemfontein after bew tyres were fitted, and he must have seen the approving look I gave as he left the shop, because he oppened it up unnecesarily and dropped it 10 meters from the shop front.
    Helped him pick up the immaculate (not anymore) piece of machine, and he just rode off quietly.

Yes, new hoops.... be careful.

4. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Maniac -- This George Fellow. LiveInTheOutdoors rides like a pro and me well I was tagging along and had the pleasure of picking up my GS1200 a couple of times in the sand.

Man Sand is lekker, but man can it catch you.
  5. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/lifestyle/routes2ride/default.asp

Western Cape

Thought I would add it here in case it helps.......
  6. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris,

This gets it back on topic.

Cheers, G
  7. Cagiva900gc

Cagiva900gc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tha biggest Cagiva fan in Canada, Toronto
    Fellow ADVRiders

One ride I thought I could add is Startberg Pass to The Hell, in Oudtshoorn area. I have read about the Hell many times, and while on holiday in Wilderness I took a day trip out there on my 1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon.

Left 8am in the morning, and warm up to the curves on the beautiful asphalt mountain passes from Wilderness to George, then more of the same via Outeniqua Pass to Oudtshoorn, and continue Norht to where the pavement ends, about 20km outside Oudshoorn. That is the start of the Swartberg Pass.

From there is just pure fun, steep grades, tight turns, up and down, really tight turns, and about 70km later you arrive at the Kiost at the bottom of the Hell. Not a through road by the way. Sort of obvious when one thinks of going to Hell. The Ducati 900 engine just tore up those mountains, and made beautiful music all the way. Sure the suspension on the GC is not ideal for the really rocky bits, but slowing down a bit, does the trich, and then it's on with the gas again.

I did the trip especially to prove that the Cagiva Gran Canyon can go anywhere a BMW GS can go. The only reason the Cagivas have not been all over the world like the Beemers have, is just because of the low numbers, thanks to the idiots in charge of Cagiva, not being able to market the product. No not only in SA, it looks like the lack of marketing is set from Italy. But that is another story.

When planning a trip to The Hell, plan for extra time, the distance is not far, but takes quite a bit of time, due to the rocks and many hairpins, steep cliffs, and things which sort of discourages high speed. There are no barriers to catch you, so overrunning a turn there could easily cause you to remain in Hell forever.

By the time I was back onto paved road on my way back to Oudtshoorn, it was around sunset. Doing the passes back to Wilderness in the dark was fun too. One last note, I did the trip in December, really hot at the sea, and in the valleys, but pretty cool up in the mountains, before getting really hot again in the valley of The Hell. Have a jacket that can be made cooler and warmer.

If anybody wishes to look it up on the map, it is between Oudsthoorn and Prince Albert, and the other name of The Hell is Gamkaskloof. Incidentally there is camping and basic housing available should you wish to stay over at the Kiosk, in the Swartberg Nature reserve. No lion, but there are still free roaming Leopards and other wildlife.

I do have their phone number if anyone needs it. I have a few pics too, but haven't looked at posting them.

See you out on the roads soon
  8. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Hey Cagiva!

Nice post, and welcome to the looney bin - particularly here with your first post being in the SA thread...

Yeppers, I know the exact route you are talking about - and have done it too. I also have many pics, perhaps its time to repost a few.

If you search for the Hell trip in ride reports section, by Maverick, you will see him and I did a dual posting of all the piccies... it was great.

I have to tell you that I did that Hell rode in 30 minutes odd, but I did wind the neck of my 650 quite hard. There was only one stream to cross which I did at speed.

To do the trip in an hour (Which we did coming out) was just too easy, and the pace was rather sedate.

And I agree, wear a jacket that can accomodate both heat and cold, cos those Swartberg mountains can really mix it up temperature wise. Be careful when it rains on the Swartberg Pass, because the road turns to pure clay and as you know with the steep passes, it becomes a snot road, and sliding is the order of the day, even slowly with knobs.

Lovely post again, perhaps this will jog some nice memories for you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. maverick

maverick Lost South-African..

Oddometer:
    Agg shame I might as well chip in with a picture or two as well..... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course not the piercing kind..... :huh

[​IMG]
  10. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Of course not the piercing kind?

huh? :norton
  11. maverick

maverick Lost South-African..

Oddometer:
    Ag shame you been in the dark side to long boet....have a read here and let me know if the mere thought made your eyes water as well Prince Albert Piercing :cry