Said goodbye to Locus, what are your recomendations for a replacement?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Eatmore Mudd, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Locus Pro is being a D!@K. I switch off the permissions and force stop the app between uses then switch them on and launch it when I use it same as all the other apps.

Now they have a new EULA and want access to everything all the time including body sensor data. ( that will eat battery run time )
    Worse yet is that they went into my note pad app and into my text messages and censored all my LAT LONG information right out of text messages sent in the past and the notes I was keeping it in. ( dirty sneaky underhanded move on their part)

There is no way to use the Lucus Pro and add ons that I bought and paid for to use unless I agree to the new EULA. That's extortion imho.

I uninstalled it.

What are your recommendations for a replacement ?
  2. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Just use the old version
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    1 use the old 3.6*** version you were using, if you don't agree to the eula of the newer version.

2 nothing is hostage, you can access ALL the files locus has created for you, they're either in /data/app/com.android.menion.locus
    or
    on your sdcard.... you can use all the database, map, tracks, as you see fit without the application or its eula. I'm still trying to find the 3.6xx and 3.7xx eula to see what has changed, i think I'll need to install the free versions to do so.

just so you know, the battery life will not be impacted at all by using the sensors on the phone... they are on and active all the time unless specifically turned off, the locus app just logs (with your permission) what they're saying if you tell it to.

the cheapest alternative is 1 use the old version
    the next cheapest is oruxmaps, osmand, or similar.

i hope you understand the issues with forse closing applications, and how it will corrupt/destroy data by doing so.... it's a bad practice that will lead to issues that you listed in the locus thread.
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

:imaposer
  5. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just think that it’s uninstalled. You opened the door.
    worwig likes this.
  6. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trail Tech Voyager Pro, not an app, but a worthy replacement.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  7. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    ^ $600 GPS unit v $5 app...? :hmmmmm
    clawdog60 likes this.
  8. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I guess what app you chose is determined by what you use it for. I use Google Maps for A-->B online directions and Guru Pro (Galileo) for offline and track following.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    oruxmaps is pretty dang good, not as polished, the routing is a little rougher, but a great application.

the play store version is a few behind the online download, per Google's restrictions on permissions/and in app purchases.