Saint Petersburg Area riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by adriannzinha, Feb 24, 2015.

1. adriannzinha

adriannzinha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if any inmates ride in my neighborhood?

I've just bought a wee honda supermoto after being out of riding for a while and have zero riding friends here.

Not looking to ride crazy or strafe apexes, just get out on the moto, have some laughs, and be safe.

The bike is used, it's got 100% new street tires, and I've never ridden in dirt but some nice fire or dirt roads might be fun. It's also got 14hp on a really good day and doesn't like freeways since i don't enjoy riding a bike that sounds like a grenade at 60 mph.

In the meantime, I'll go back to dodging 95 year old snow bird cagers and jumping curbs. ..
  2. Gromzilla

Gromzilla I like them taters

Oddometer:
    30 year dirt rider here in Largo with enough street experience to know I want to stay off the main roads. New Grom 2 weeks ago, ready to ride!
  3. adriannzinha

adriannzinha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  4. jvazquez

jvazquez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New DL650A rider in Clearwater. No dirt experience, but interested in some dirt/gravel roads maybe. I also ride a BMW K1200RS sport touring bike. I work weekdays, but always looking to ride on a nice weekend day.
  5. adriannzinha

adriannzinha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jv - let's plan for a weekend then. I don't think there are any dirt roads in pinellas but supposedly there might be something in pasco or polk county. Otherwise a leisurely street ride would be easy to arrange.
  6. Gromzilla

Gromzilla I like them taters

Oddometer:
    Yes, unfortunately the only "trails" are up that way. I am also up for a weekend ride.
  7. fastcat14

fastcat14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im in St Pete and ride a DL650 Vstrom. I commute on it daily. You are right, there's not much in the way of dirt or gravel riding around here. There is always the east end of Gandy Beach, I sometimes see people bombing around on ATVs or dirt bikes. A few years ago I explored some areas on 28th street south of the solid waste power plant.

Personally I prefer to head to places like Zephyrhills, Brooksville, or even up to Ocala National Forest. Tons of forest roads to explore there, but I wouldn't try it on street tires, even the dirt roads can get sandy in spots especially on the hills. Yes, the have some of those there unlike Pinellas county. But with your bike those places could be a bit of a haul so you might have to resort to trucking it to get somewhere less urban.

I am in the Woodlawn area by the way, off MLK and 22nd Ave N. Good luck and have fun.
  8. brewmann

brewmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. fastcat14

fastcat14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good point. there is a weird place called "the squares" east of Naples that is pretty fun to explore. Janes scenic drive is a good ride too. Naples is kind of a long ride from St Pete though, but doable.
  10. brewmann

Oddometer:
    Yep…have done all that…and Loop Road at night…very cool. I'm up for it. It'll be an overnighter.

The other guys will show up soon...
  11. adriannzinha

adriannzinha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there!

I know some great routes just south of the skyway. .. pretty country roads, some twisties, and even random dirt paths.

I've driven this area pretty extensive in my sporty cage. I haven't ridden here yet as i don't like going a long way solo to paved without good cell service on a used bike. Fyi.. I'm not a dude or mechanically inclined!

That aside. .. Not sure how happy my little supermoto will be going over the skyway but I'd find a way.

Anyway, I'm all for planning a ride with a group of everyone here.
  12. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you guys come this way don't forget to let us sw. florida guys know by posting up in the sw thread.

i can ride in this area pretty much any week day.
  13. south

south Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's certainly close enough that I'd be happy to hop on the KLR and squeeze in a ride. This afternoon was so nice I had to play hookey from (house) work and take the Buell out for a non-commuting daylight motorcycle ride since I can't remember when. Anyway, Saturdays or Sundays, the more advance notice, the better, and just let me know.
  14. fastcat14

fastcat14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah, Ive explored down that way around Parrish and Wauchula. Good places to cruise around.

but whats the top speed of your supermoto? is it a 125? I have seen scooters ride over the skyway, but sure as heck wouldn't want to be on one of them myself.

15. jvazquez

jvazquez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm cool for up around Brooksville/Dade City or Ocala area, or south of the Skyway. I don't have a truck, so I'll be riding my Vstrom 650. Overnighters are cool with me, so I can travel a ways.
    I have a stock Vstrom 650 and no real dirt experience, so it will have to be mild off road for me. At least initially. Most weekends are cool for me. The more advance notice, the better. Otherwise I might have already scheduled diving (scuba) or kayaking.

Thanks,
    Jim.
  16. fastcat14

fastcat14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim- ONF is a great place to get your feet wet (dirty?). Endless dirt/gravel roads, as well as sand and trails if you eventually want to stray off the main paths. I was just there a week ago so probably won't be heading back in the immediate future, but will give you a heads up next time I am planning a trip in case you are available. I usually do rides like that on the weekends too since I work weekdays. My Strom has some crash bars and handguards which have done their job the couple times I've dumped it. If you dont have handguards might be a good idea to carry a spare clutch and possibly front brake lever just in case. Its a big place.
    Ron

Attached Files:

17. adriannzinha

adriannzinha Adventurer

Oddometer:

This little bike is a honda 230cc.. same as the 230L d/s but with 17s.

I've no idea the top speed on the bike, by gosh i hope to never find out!

Might have gotten it to an indicated 60mph in the city... once. Probably good for a bit faster.
  18. adriannzinha

adriannzinha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy mother of batman, that's some serious sand!

Even though i wouldn't know how to fix it, sounds like sage advice to carry extra parts for the inevitable crash.
  19. adriannzinha

adriannzinha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few riding pictures so you know that at least one of us still likes to ride in the city :)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  20. brewmann

Oddometer: