Saint Petersburg Area riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by adriannzinha, Feb 24, 2015.

1. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3326.jpg

I was really curious about this, but did not stop to read the 'historical landmark' sign. Looked like a cheap motel. Drove through from CLW to Vero Beach (sold my 990). Yehaw Junction, not much there (basically an intersection) but points for the name . . .
    -- Kevin
  2. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    kvango likes this.
  3. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Gentlemen, I'm new to the St. Pete area. Check out the thread I just started for Tampa SX coming up in two weeks:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tampa-supercross-2020-15-16-feb.1427614/

Also, I have a dual sport capable of riding Croom and Ocala NF, but not to those locations, so if anyone wants to go up for a weekend we could split gas and pool our hauling resources...
  4. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Spent three days in Green Swamp area last weekend. Feb 2 deer season goes out and small game comes in. You can camp for free at the WMA. Just pick a spot and register
    Sometimes you just have to get away from this frickin rat race. 4E3AD2DB-4F69-4E90-AED6-F284B1EC974E.jpeg 80FF22A0-34B2-4164-AB4C-EE73EF2134C0.jpeg D9991D47-B562-4849-BDC0-4D34BB9200C4.jpeg 5A3CF67C-0B64-45B4-9441-D031826490CD.jpeg 8ABDFC37-D73F-445F-96DF-D9E87E8F4130.jpeg AB349306-F951-4D5F-8045-793494CBBA6D.jpeg 92363A19-8466-4FFB-B4EB-5B487F2E9009.jpeg
    Elle2Konsai and pro69ss like this.
  5. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:

Yes,
    Go North on county road 471 past Colt Creek State Park. Right on Cumpresso Grade Rd (I don’t think there is a sign so use your GPS. You will see where everyone is camped. Pick a place on the left (North) side of the road (The south side is reserved only). Go see the old man at the shack and fill out the form. No $$
    Deer season went out and small game is in so there should be plenty of room.
    pro69ss likes this.
  6. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Found this subforum and started browsing around.

I'm in S. Tampa by the base. Have done many Green Swamp/62/Balm trips as well as a LOT of time riding in the FL "hills" of San Ann and up into Brooksville, talking north of 52 from about Bellamy Brothers as far east as Trilby and everything in between. I haven't done many trips to the latter for pleasure as most of my riding there has been to work bike races. Couple of pics from the top of College Hill, otherwise known as Blanton:
    IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG

Would be interested in meeting some of you to ride together sometime if you'd be open to having a stranger join in.
    twowheeledgator likes this.
  7. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll take a swing at this. After watching this thread--and its contributors--unfortunately struggle for (sustained) traction, I haven't a tremendous amount of hope for it, but, given the dire state of my current ride outings--limited to increasingly unpalatable Wed. "bike nights" at Quaker Steak in Pinellas Park--it's very much worth a shot.

That said, recognizing that riding preferences--and personalities--vary (nothing wrong with that), perhaps any interested parties--hereafter referred to as "we" ;)--could/should initially schedule a bit of a "ride to" casual meet-and-greet at some suitably scenic/desireable locale--e.g., a local park (Ft. DeSoto, Sawgrass Lake, Phillipe, etc.) somewhere downtown(s: St. Pete, Gulfport, Dunedin, etc.) or out at the beach, etc.--rather than immediately saddle others with my insufferable company/riding proclivities for half a day without any ready option to politely bow out. Everybody gets a nice little ride there and back, hopefully meets some ride-compatible people--we all like bikes, so how bad could it be :D--and let things evolve (or guilt-free devolve) from there.

So, provided there's interest, given that this is the "Saint Petersburg area riders" thread (and the fact that I try to avoid Tampa and its immediate environs as much as possible :-))--albeit all others welcome, obviously--I suggest a meet somewhere on this side of the bay, say mid- to south- Pinellas; any of the aforementioned locations are fine by me, but depending on day/time, some of them--downtown or the beaches--may be somewhat more problematic as far as traffic/parking. As for time, no need to short-notice it, especially given the light traffic this thread seems to get, but it looks like we're heading into a stretch of nice weather, so perhaps an open-ended window starting sometime this next week/weekend. Personally, my schedule is fairly busy, but also flexible, so day or evening, mid-week or weekend, are all open for me with just a bit of advance notice/planning.

At any rate, I guess we'll see how this goes; in keeping with the overall (no-stress/casual) concept, feel free to reply--including suggestions for time/place--or we'll merely let this offer fade gently away. No worries either way. :thumb
    ydarg and Elle2Konsai like this.
  8. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I’m just across Gandy in Tampa so I’d be up to a meet and eat or something similar. Not looking to meet and go on some long ride because that isn’t my thing, especially with folks I don’t know.
    south likes this.
  9. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, then, we seem to have holeshot-ed reasonably well :-). While I don't think it a necessity to be food-centric, I think it certainly would fit the bill well enough, and E2K's suggestions would work just fine for me. That said, my inclination is to remain in data-gathering mode and let things percolate over the weekend at least, lest we start (unknowingly) excluding potentially interested folks by locking down details (too) early.

So, as of now, I'm in, with a pretty open schedule; E2K is in, tenatively mid-week evening meet-and-eat; likewise ydarg, albeit availability somewhat unspecified (I commuted across the bay for 10 years, so I'm not about to speak for anybody's desire/willingness to do so at any given time--even via the (least problematic route of the) Gandy bridge.)

So, anybody else? Pro69ss? TWG? Glenn247? (thx for the Barney's SX tix tip, BTW; it ain't MotoGP, but then I don't have to ride all the way to Austin, either.)

:ear
    Elle2Konsai and ydarg like this.
  10. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would anyone be interested in a 20 dollar Supercross ticket? I'm in St Pete?

I may have a ticket to sell and a couple free tickets. If anyone is interested let me know quick
  11. pro69ss

pro69ss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m restricted to a cage for at least another month or two as I just ditched the sling yesterday!
    Dislocated and fractured some stuff in my left shoulder at the Polar bear rally .
  12. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the bent and broken part sucks, but the bit about the mending is good to hear--still have a fair bit of that going on myself.

Anyway, inasmuch as we're aiming merely for a casual, no pressure, no commitment meet-and-greet/eat just to gauge any future ride compatibilities/possibilities, if you're at all interested, I encourage/welcome you to attend; under the circumstances, we'll give you a pass for showing up via an extra set of wheels. :thumb
    Elle2Konsai and pro69ss like this.
  13. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, so, weekend +1; I hate to have to curtail such a flood of responses :-), but, since I don't plan to forgo at least a token ride this week, yet don't wish for yet another less-than-stellar outing to QS, I imagine it best to nail down where and when, leave the invitation open, and go with that.

So, following up on E2K's suggestion, I vote for 3 Daughters, 6pm on Thursday. But I can certainly do Wednesday--or elsewhere or elsewhen--if that presents an inconvenience for anyone who wishes to attend.
  14. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    I could be free tomorrow. I am in Central Pinellas.
    Sorry I have not responded but I have been elbows deep in other things. Don’t always make it on my phone.
    On Thursday’s I normally have plans that end at the Woodwright brewery in Dunedin around 8:00ish for a few minutes of pretty good bluegrass and a glass of mandarina. I know 8:00 is late. Anyone want to tip a glass we should be there on an old, crusty, black GS.
  15. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I believe I can swing something Thursday evening. Let me check to see what's on Mrs. ydarg's calendar.
    twowheeledgator likes this.
  16. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow is a no go for me. Stupid me forgot Friday is Valentine’s Day and I’ll be baking something for the wife tomorrow.
  17. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, seems like after a fair start, we're running a little lean, came up short, cased the landing, and stalled :-). Regrettable, but not wholly unexpected. Perhaps we'll see if anybody lines up for an LCQ; looks like back to the practice track for now.
    Elle2Konsai likes this.
  18. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Well, about 8:00 or 8:30 I should be at the Woodwright - even if flying solo. If anyone wants to chill for a few minutes come on by.
    Out of town for work next week.
  19. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    FABADC0C-8EDA-475C-8A37-D48866E4EB34.jpeg
    banjos, guitars, mouth harps, fiddles, mandolins, an upright bass and a bunch of yuppies sipping some good craft beer all while singing Rocky Top.
    Dr.Z likes this.
  20. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    B3931F22-DF52-4F32-A839-DAC5CA343B8C.jpeg
    ADC0EEAF-C49B-4508-A911-82C1D2E400D4.jpeg E00E0818-E3E2-4184-B84A-C26F64EC5A10.jpeg
    3 days, 7 friends, 750 miles and 1 opossum. Good times