Salvage to Rebuilt: The Inspection

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Gypsyangel, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Gypsyangel

Gypsyangel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well today was the day to take my bike to be inspected.I can not possibly infer to you how amazingly EASY this was. Just a note here: do NOT ride your bike to the inspection office.While here they probably wouldn't have cared, I have heard of other places being more picky. Just better be safe than sorry and trailer the bike.
    Okay,Here's how it went. First the place wasn't well marked,but the locals were quick to point us in the right direction. Which was basically a garage with cars going in one end and out the other.

Here they are going in:

[​IMG]

Here's somebody waiting on their car to be inspected:

[​IMG]

And here's where they inspect the vehicles:

[​IMG]

They had a large gravel lot across the street for us to park and unload the bike.

[​IMG]

Very important, have all your paperwork ready when you get there. They like that. You can usually download it off an inspection station's website or the people at the DMV will gladly supply you with it as well. I also had along pics of the damaged tail and the broke clutch lever as well as reciepts for the replacement parts.You can really pick and choose here how much repair info to give them as they have never before seen the bike. I opted to omit pics of the bent handlebar as I didn't have a reciept for the replacement.Trust me, I was already over-prepared.

I took my papers around the side to an office where they took my paperwork, title and a copy of my drivers liscence. They also say they need a bill of sale, but didn't take a copy of that. Oh well. Also, these peeps take cash, so $193 and I was issued a number and told to ask the guys outside where they wanted my bike for inspection. It couldn't go in the bay with all the cars so they just had me put it out front to the right of one of the doors,but in the shade so they could check the lights.
    Here it is waiting for the guys to tell us where to put it for inspection. I had the only motorcycle there.

[​IMG]

I was so nervouse about them checking over the entire bike,but it was nothing like that. Basically here's what they checked :
    #1: the guy checked the vin number to make sure it matched the one on his paperwork.
    #2: He BRIEFLY looked under the right sid fairing with a flashlight. Not sure what he was looking for,probably just loose wires or somethin'.
    #3:He turned the key but did not start the bike, the asked with some surprise "Is that Odometer correct?"
    #4:He checked to make sure the turn signals worked both front and rear.
    #5: He checked the horn.
    #6: He checked the headlight.

He asked if I had needed to actually repair anything on the bike and I was all ready with my photos of the damaged tail and broke clutch lever, which he gave a cursery glance. Didn't even look at the reciepts. Made some comment about how "They'll total out these bikes for anything". Most of his time was spent filling in the paperwork and probably about 5 minutes looking over the bike
    That was it. I was in and out in about an hour(most of that spent waiting) with my little pink sheet stating that it had passed inspection and a Rebuilt title would now be mailed to me.:woot: I was super surprised at how easy it all went down. This will deffinately be something I'd consider redoing with another bike in the future.All I have to do now is wait to get the "Rebuilt" title in the mail ,then go register it just like any other vehicle.

And here's my now "Rebuilt" bike gettin ready to head home:thumbsup:

[​IMG]
  2. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Bully for you!

Like most things related to interacting with the gub'ment, its either super easy or super hard (annoying, difficult, etc.).
  3. WAP

WAP Weekday Warrior

Oddometer:
    So they didn't even check for any possible serious (and not necessarily obvious) damage: bent/cracked frame, tweaked forks, etc?! I don't know all the circumstances of course, but to me it seems you paid $200 just for the piece of paper, rather than the peace of mind knowing your machine is safe to ride. I hope you go over the bike very well before riding it, or was that already done by a qualified mechanic?
  4. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    It's more or less a bribe.. operation of a re-constructed vehicle is at the operator's own risk.. if you get busted speeding or any other moving violation while operating a re-constructed vehicle, you better make sure the machine can pass your state inspection, because LEOs would likely tack on any inspection related violation along with the moving violation, it's like a revenue jackpot.
  5. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's deffinately all about the money to them. But no worries, I had it checked over VERY thoroughly and the frame is untouched and the forks are straight and true.

BTW in case anyone was wondering, they did NOT care about anything "cosmetic" at the inspection. They didn't even blink at the scratches on the sides or the tank. Heck I probably coulda been missing the windscreen and half the plastic and they wouldn't have cared. It's all about road-worthiness.
  6. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    No reason a safety inspection would be bothered by scratches and missing/broke pieces unless they were literally hanging off the bike.

Nice bike, congrats on getting it all completed.
  7. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I think things vary by state.

I was looking into resurecting a bike in Wash. state. I was told by others that they DO care about cosmetics here. I was planning on makng the bike a streetfighter (with DOT approved streetfighter fairing.) I was told by some people that the state would not look kindly upon it.

In Washington, you can get a one day registration($8) to drive/ ride the vehicle to have the vehcile inspected.
  8. cube_zombie

cube_zombie Slave to the Cube

Oddometer:
    Great thread(s)...Congrats to you for getting such a great deal on that bike..Now be safe :D
  9. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the hoops you have to jump through deffinately vary by state.

BTW if anyone was wondering about the financial logistics of this, I saved approximately $2500 (bike,shipping,parts and inspection) as opposed to buying used and about $3000 as opposed to buying new.Not too shabby.
  10. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    Is this the jesus ninja?
  11. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
  12. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    LOL great, there's a nickname that's gonna stick. Jesus Ninja:lol3