Same as it ever was...chasing the horizon south

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Misery Goat, May 23, 2010.

1. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow, Carlos, that's a helluva compliment, thanks. :thumb

It sounds like you have a pretty good good thing going for you so I don't think it's unusual you're not ready to hit the road. We all travel for different reasons but I think the basic desire is to evolve to some degree. You'll know when you're ready. Thanks for following along. :freaky

I didn't mean to imply that what I saw in Rio Grande is "the" forest operations of Brasil which is why I used the distinction "some". I guess I could've worded it differently. Thanks for the heads up. :thumb
  2. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    sorry for the delay folks, In Vietnam now and still processing a back log of fotos while trying to get ready for a small trip into Cambodia.

here's a vid of some photos from the ride north from TDF to BsAs. More to come soon, promise. :D

3. Frankko

Frankko Midnight Rambler

Oddometer:
    Hey MG you are truly international!

If you ever make it to Chiang Mai in Thailand let me know. Food and amenities are on me.

I am still in afghanistan but coming home in July!!

So maybe we will meet.

Simon and Lisa (from 2 ride the world dot com fame ) rode though and enjoyed it very much.

Looking forward to seeing some of the pictures and videos.

Thanks for keeping us inspired.:freaky
  4. scout57

scout57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "In Vietnam now and still processing a back log of fotos while trying to get ready for a small trip into Cambodia."

we need intel on this

be safe
  5. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite! Regrettably I won't be going into Thailand on this trip. I've been meaning to get up to Chiang Mai for years but it just hasn't worked out yet. I think I will plan for a trip up your way when I return to Vietnam.

I'm just going back through a lot of photos I never properly processed, mostly from MX and Central America. It's something I've been meaning to do and using my down time here at the house to knock them out. The SE is back in AZ so this is not really a moto based trip. I have a scooter I use around the city and will rent a bike in Cambodia after taking a boat ride up the Mekong river to Phnom Penh.

I should be back in the states in April and will try to re-enter the work force temporarily to make some scratch for the next leg of the trip. I'm on the RTW installment plan. :ricky
  6. davidbrundage

davidbrundage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i love your vibe, man!
  7. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    So far I am loving Brasil but the fact I’m averaging $100 per day on fuel is unsettling. Brasil is the largest country in South America and I could easily rack up thousands of miles exploring it’s amazing offerings but I know that will not be possible on my limited funds. I was warned by other travelers of the high cost of traveling in Brasil but aside from fuel I don’t find it much more expensive than Chile or Argentina, at least with regard to food and lodging.

Locals refer to Florianopolis as Floripa, perhaps a result of the phonetic energy saying Florianopolis requires. I know little about Floripa aside from the numerous recommendations from travelers to stay here during my visit. The city’s skyline is impressive for what I expect to be a smallish tourist resort retreat. Floripa is the largest city on Santa Catarina island and hosts thriving IT and tourism economies. Floripa attracts surfers from all over the world and the windy beaches here make for great kite surfing. I quickly make my way for Lagoa da Conceição andBackpackers Sunset Hostal where I’m staying. The next week will be devoted to exploring beaches, bike maintenance, and trying to get my head around the Portuguese language.

I get to the hostal and lose an ear plug while unpacking, Brasil has been hard on ear plugs. I’m greeted by a group of Ozzie surfers getting their drink on in the bar so I inaugurate my stay with a Brasilian porter. These guys could be trouble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    $100.00 a day on a bike???:huh Damn you got the brakes dragging? How much is fuel per litre? Beautiful pics.
  9. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    :lurk awesome, I'm green.....
  10. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, fuel is around $9-10/gal depending where you are. And the SE is not very economical in the best of conditions. My heavy hand and Brasilian fuel (i think the ethanol is not helping here) are translating into around 30miles/gal +/-.
  11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    :clapI do like seeing a good dark beer on the road...Someday I will get there!! :beer :thumb:clap

I agree, my V-Strom may give up a little mileage around town, but she makes up for it in SPIRIT! Wishing you safe travels MG! Thanks for sharing!! :clap

P.S. - you late-comers need to watch MG's videos early on...he's the lane-splitting king! ( SE has the Cahones! Flying Low!!) :thumb
  12. ini88

ini88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in Brazil last year and loved it! The people are amazing and the food is great.
  13. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    I'm in the middle of writing a 12 page memo, up to my eyes in notes that I need to turn into outlines, and then at some point I have to figure out when I'm going to study for my finals...

Hope you had enough fun and drank enough beer to cover for me. Glad you're back safe.
  14. Carbomb

Carbomb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Truly awesome report. Really enjoyed your writing and the videos/music were great as well. I'm still plugged into the working world Matrix, but gathering up as much intel as I can for my big break... hopefully in the next couple years. Thanks a lot for sharing your ride with us. I'm definitely a late-comer, but I'll stay tuned for Vietnam/Cambodia :ear

-Sean
  15. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Btdt and I don't envy you. :lol3 I'm pretty sure I did enough drinking on this trip to cover for the both of us. :loaded Good luck with the finals and thanks for the well wishes. :thumb

Thanks, Sean, I'm glad you like it. I'll be plugging back in myself as I need to replenish my travel fund in preparation for the next leg of the trip. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help with any intel. :freaky
  16. plotoman

plotoman n00b

Oddometer:
    Inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Misery, Your racks? My desktop no brace, I see in other photos there is a brace bar....did you change racks...Looks like wolfman in one photo, your views?
  18. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Anytime man, thanks for following along. :thumb

They are the wolfman racks for the SE but I had them modified for my riding style. They stuck out way too far imo so I had them brought in and a cross bar brace added. I have a great welder and he did the mods perfectly. I had a number of biffs offroad and on pavement and the racks held up under duress. I didn't have to have any welding done on my trip, unlike so many other riders I met on the road.

Again, I apologize for the delay, I will finish this report, it just may take some time. :D
  19. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    I had some unused video footage from Peru so here you go.

What Peru looks like when you get off the Pan Am. :ricky