San Bernardino National Forest Report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pcvance, Sep 23, 2013.

1. krazykayaker

krazykayaker 11bGruntM249PointMan

Oddometer:
    Devils Hole:
    After coming up out of the creek crossing, there is a ninety degree left turn that threads through numerous boulders that are bigger than you and your bike.

Don't forget that your tires will be wet at this point.
    If you follow the line that is visible, the rocks are like a funnel and your bike will soon resemble a wedge that has been mauled into a piece of green wood.

If you get through the 200 feet section of rock garden after the creek, you are homefree.

ps. here is what i want to do soon at devils rock garden-

1. shut off motor and stealthily coast down to the creek and treed area.
    2. while concealed in the tree line, listen for tempers flaring from within the rock garden.
    3. turn on gopro

lol, several times per week I come up on fokes that are stuck in the garden. Sometimes the shouting, yelling, and general aura of violence and negativity are so great that I turn around and don't even go look.
  2. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Beach to crabby flats:

As recommended earlier, definitely go down it first before attempting the ascent.
    If I wasn't a speed freak, this would be my favorite trail in all of California!

The value of this trail, is that it keeps my few technical riding skills in check.
    This trail talks to you, and it will tell you what you need to focus your practice regimen towards.

I tend to get too caught up in high speed riding and don't practice enough technical terrain. This trail screams at me when that situation occurs.

After completing this stretch, you will feel one of two things-

-feeling 1 = "I am awesome! Nobody on earth can touch me and this bike!"

-feeling 2 = "I suck, and need a new hobby"
  3. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    There's two rough sections. If you cant get up the first section near deep creek you should abandon the attempt. It gets rougher.

When you get to the second rock pile, you may be delayed by jeeps. Two ways to go, left or center. Center is ok on a light bike, provided you get traction. A tip over will hurt a lot here. Left puts you in a notch you can sort of wiggle up. Couple slippery step ups but if you fall or roll you are not going down a rocky hill. Not as dangerous as the center, but not as clean a solution either.
    I wouldn't let people sucker you into crab flats or 2w01 on a BMW. Those jugs are exposed, waiting to catch on rocks, of which there are plenty. 2w01 is very, very thin in spots, and may not bear the weight from what I saw riding it last week. There are some rocks there. No place to turnaround. You should watch YouTube.

I've done those trails but with nothing heavier than my xr600 or my old te610. I have seen people on klr650's and even a xr650l hung up, laid down, stuck, crashed or cracked on the rocks. Usually I ride these trails with an xr280 or the xr600 and I've done them enough to have seen what can go wrong.

Fwiw I used to have a ktm 950 for a few years. I once took it down crab flats. Never again. I got out no damage, but slow and exhausting. For me that equipment wasn't for that trail.

Cbig
  4. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Why don't we organize a clinic for these 2 spots? We could meet and greet and plan a bigger ride at the same time?

Anyone desiring to do these sections would do well to be in experienced company.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I was exploring around in the crab flats campground. A couple of guys waved me down and asked me if I knew how to get to the beach and if I would lead them there.

I obliged.

It appeared to me as though both of them fell, slid, and tumbled down the trail more than they rode it.

When they dragged themselves into the beach area, they asked me if I could ride BOTH their bikes out for them because they were in a hurry to get back to the camp.

I asked them how I was supposed to get back down to my bike after taking theirs up.
    When they looked at each other, I replied they were going to have to ride the road around and that I would not help them.

They were on new bikes with nice, new and clean riding gear on (even the colors matched!)
    I should have ran the other way when I first saw them.
    twas a yz250 and a yzf450.
  5. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Devil's Hole is one of my favorite spots up there. The water crossing, boulder field and the 2W01 trail are all doable on a big bike, I did it a couple of times on my old R1200 GSA.

[​IMG]

It is much more fun on smaller bikes.

The water crossing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the boulder field; hard left after water crossing

[​IMG]

more of 2W01

[​IMG]

Where 2W01 ends, there is a really fun track that leads back up to Big Pine CG

[​IMG]
  6. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!!

I wonder what the guy on the blue bike is continually looking down at?

The trail is in front of you not underneath, by this time its too late for whatever you may be thinking about doing..

footpegs are for holding feet..
  7. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Not for me. If someone happens to be there, struggling, I will help. Gaggle of people on a gaggle of equipment at varying skill levels is not for me, more power and karma to you.

I ride with a very reliable crew whom all know each other's strengths, weaknesses, endurance, disposition, navigation and mechanical aptitude. I can't remember the last time there was a show stopper - mechanical nor injury. We've been riding together for years, usually ride together both in state and out about 2-4k off road miles a year, and there's little reason to change that. In fact, to bring in someone new, it's gotten to the point where somebody has to practically "vouch" for the new person and ride with 'em first before introductions.
  8. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Totally sound reasoning and I subscribe to your thinking for sure.
    This is the way the inner circle did it down at CNF.
  9. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    personally, I put myself out there a bit more than a normal fella would..
    but being so new to the area, it is the only way I know to work myself into the group within the group.
  10. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    It really is hard to believe how many hours and miles I've logged riding solo around this here area, and yet I haven't met many fellow riders.
    Not because i'm unsocialable, just because there aren't that many candidates.

It reminds me of something a wise old man told me about 5 years ago.

I had recently embarked upon a life-long dream adventure of single-handing a vintage sailboat with no electronic aids, down the east coast from Maine to Key West.

The old salt said that sailing was a dying art. The only fokes doing it anymore are the old timers- and how sad for them to watch their beloved passion evaporate at the disinterested hands of the younger generations, too caught up in their video games and whatever they do these days..

Unfortunately, I often share this same sentiment concerning MY lifelong passion on 2wheels
  11. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Solo riding is way underrated!

I have an AV to Pioneer Town ride propose for the days between Christmas an New Years. It will be the harder way. Dec 27-28.
  12. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:

Where's the fun in that!
  13. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:

Props to you for crossing the hole on a 1200 Beener!
  14. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Deepest I've ever crossed it. On my dr650.

[​IMG]
  15. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    The boys are getting antsy and want to ride. I will let you know when we will be up there.
  16. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    That sounds great Sean!
    During the week, I am almost ALWAYS available- but if it will be a weekend, please give me a couple days notice
  17. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Always available? Got a rich girlfriend or what?:wink:

Come on up to Sequoia this weekend Matt, theGrinch & I will show you some good stuff.:thumb
  18. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    I'm retired Army, lol girlfriend.
    I'm boycotting the grinch for a spell..he won't talk to me anyway as he and jungle are doing the same to me
  19. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Boycott theGrinch & Jungleman?:rofl:lol3

Oh well, there's plenty of nice guys out there to ride with.:deal

You can come up and ride with me any time Army dude...
  20. krazykayaker

Oddometer:

Thankyou brother!
    consider the offer reciprocated back to you in mighty san b