San Bernardino National Forest Report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pcvance, Sep 23, 2013.

1. krazykayaker

krazykayaker 11bGruntM249PointMan

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tip OffLimits,

I did not ride today, but i took a slippery ride down 3n34 in the subaru.
    The creeks I saw were totally overflowing the banks and really gushing.
    It was a real nice sight.

There was only one set of moto tracks and the only person i saw was a guy sawing and splitting firewood.
  2. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Rain is good. Tommorrow will be epic. I got soaked riding today.:D
  3. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    beginning to warm up finally, but frak it was cold this morning!
    Do you guys ride with special outfits on up here?
    Years ago, I was in the midwest on a snowmobile adventure in a state named Iowa. Pretty much a farming/agriculture area, but i was impressed with those snow suits they had.
    stupid idea?

post your preferences or favorite piece of extreme cold weather gear
  4. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Nope. When we ride up there in the snow, maybe just some thermals underneath. Old snowboard gear if riding fire roads.
  5. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    The wife and I just got home from spending the afternoon on foot in the forest.
    On the way there, driving through upper Cedar Glen we saw about 8 or 10 exc's parked in front of the Malt Shoppe!
    Its was an awesome site.
    We saw their kilroy on the trail and it looked as if everyone of them were shod in new shoes.
    These guys were ready!
    I hope I can catch up with them soon while on the bike...
  6. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Hi, sorry i've been soo absent on the thread lately.
    Had some medical issues, but got everything patched up.

It's officially midweek. Anyone want to ride for a spell today?
  7. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to share a recent pic of my mom. She just turned 80 and is one of the few people that I know who has been riding longer than I have.
    Some of my friends could do well taking a few lessons from her, ha ha.
    We love you mom!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  8. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    those are Shinko 244's.
    My best friend works for Western Power Sports and he kept sending me these tires when I lived in the keys.
    For the riding I was doing there, a decent quality tire for the $. They never lasted much longer than a month, but tarmac predictability was very good.
  9. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Can anyone think of a reason why this may be a poor idea?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  10. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not good Matt!! Whack jobs will be answering that ad. Hell I did a simple group ride from guys on Thumper Talk last year and learned my lesson. There are a few guys who have complete disregard for their fellow rider and think only of themselves. Talking guys into riding over their head and leaving them behind to abandon their bike (so some of us could ride it out) is not my idea of fun.

I called the guy on his bullshit and it backfired on me. He has quite a few internet buddies who come on regularly to tell me what a pussy I am. He knows who he is.

I have posted this before. These are the kind of guys you get when posting up in social media.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums...od-to-Big-Bear&p=715269&viewfull=1#post715269

This trail is right up your alley. You have ridden with me Matt, so you know I don't post BS. I just wish I was at the level of rider you are. I enjoyed riding with you. Your a good guy. Just too fast for me. Maybe we can hit this trail together in the next month or so before the snow. If you don't mind riding with a slow guy! LOL
  11. krazykayaker

Oddometer:

Chris,
    anyone that completes an iron butt is in an elite class to themselves. Good job buddy!
    Sorry to hear what you went through assisting the ktm rider that had to walk out of Redonda Ridge. Few realize all that is involved with "will you ride my bike out for me?"
    Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately?) the top shelf equipment attracts alot of money-spenders, but not necessarily corresponding skills to match.
    I had a similar experience recently in CNF, it was WELL publicized.

Mos Def on roosting around the forest together, just let me know the day before.
    Can't wait!
    kk
  12. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool deal Matt! You are a fun guy to ride with. It does piss me off when just when I think I hid from you, you come blazing around the bend and find me!! LOL Good times!!

I'll try to put something together in December sometime.
  13. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    I to have no job and do not plan to ever have one again .Weekdays are best for me the wife works so weekends are two up. Most of my rides are solo spur of the moment in the A.M. mostly on the N/E side of 173,well get together one of these days ,watch for Rider914 on here I think that there are 2 trial's in san bedro mt's that he has not been on :lol3
  14. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    rider914 is a handle that numerous chaps have touted to me.
    That fella must be a legend in these here parts.

Lets roost Slideways!
    I pm'd you my digits.

I have been wanting to trail ride to hesperia- I've heard it's possible.
    North of 173 sounds great!
    You are just on the other side of the lake, we should be friends for sure!
    matt
  15. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    guys,
    when I say that I prefer orange I am not being.... hoity toity (?)

I cut my teeth on the Japs my whole life, and only within the last 5 or so years did I finally drink the koolaid. I was one of the last hold-outs...

I said that I prefer orange in my riding partner, and there is good reason for making such a request.

If my buddies ktm breaks down in the middle of nowhere, I already know the bikes inside and out and can prolly handle the repair.

We can share the burden of lugging spare parts and all equipment interchanges perfectly- especially important on longer trips.

There is not enough room on here to hold your attention long enuf to point out things such as,
    group buys on same parts and equipment,
    sharing info with common hardware probs,
    power of numbers in dealing with the dealers,
    etc. etc.

why re-invent the wheel in an attempt at unique.

The infantry forces everyone to be the same. Your ruck is packed identical to mine, so if I fall and you need my gear- you already know everything I have as if it were your own.

I like all people and bike brands... if they treat you well and breed excitement- I will pledge my allegiance
  16. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    Your mom is hot, except the part where she looks like you:1drink
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    :fpalm. :poser
  18. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Heh heheh heh
    yep,
    family pics of the whole clan clearly reveal that her and daddy's dashing good looks definitely favor me singularly-

I heard you got a new ride- cool and congrats.
    Would love to hear about it...

Thanks for the words John.
  19. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    I am so happy to be riding in this great state!
    I don't think i have had to wash my bike more than once or twice in the last 6 months and it still looks new!

South Florida firmament offers so little for off roaders that you have to be creative to get your fix.
    Here is what most of my trail riding looked like.
    Miles and miles of this daily forced me to leave the 07 exc there when I moved. (there was little area that was not rusted and I washed/lubed it EVERY ride)

Florida salt took my horse from precious to poo in less than 6 months time.
    We have so much to be thankful for in California!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D-2Y-IqYuM4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. krazykayaker

Oddometer:
    Recently there has been some questions regarding this stretch of trail.

So yesterday, while trying out a new sprocket combo (with miserable results) I at least got a good bit of footage for informational purposes…

According to the camera counter, it's about a 15 minute run from the beach at Deep Creek up to the Crab Flats Campground. I feel that pushing the clock much faster will expose you to unnecessary risk and compromise safety.
    It's not a racetrack- there is the possibility of others being around the next curve or crest.
    PLEASE CONSIDER OTHERS, there maybe children playing or elders hiking !!!!

The camera gives the impression that I am hauling the mail, it's just an illusion- as speed considerations are paramount.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3aCNglugn8o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>