San Diego Country Back Country Adventure Route

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Xcountry-Rider, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Dualsport187

Dualsport187 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just did a weekend out in the area. Crazy fun! I have a ton of pics, but I can't figure out how to add'm to the message. Pointers?
  2. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
  3. WHYNOWTHEN

WHYNOWTHEN where are the pedals?

Oddometer:
    Please excuse the highjack!
    I looked for the "San Diego Highjinks "thread, but couldn't find it.

I need a little bit of night-time help. I have recently mounted some Baja Designs Squadron lights on my 990. They are unbelievably bright. I now do not know how I could have ridden at night before. I have been wanting to post some pics on ADV, and now realize that I don't have the knowledge or equipment to take any decent night pics.

I live in Ramona, and I wonder if anyone with a good camera has any interest in a little night time loop with a stop for a few pics. Maybe Black Canyon to Grapevine Canyon to Julian and back to Ramona? Or shorter?
  4. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
  5. evilman

evilman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome rides I'd like to join next time.
  6. roasty

roasty n00b

Oddometer:
    Salutations!

This is great thread! Thanks to everyone for posting the info on this ride. My wife and I are newbie adventure riders living here in San Diego. We're planning to make this track our very first overnight adventure ride! :D We have some questions for y'all about the track: http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=100675

1. Are all the gates open this time of year?
    2. Is GPS required or could we get by with printed maps/cell phone apps?
    3. Are there any camping sites at the north end of the track? The map only shows camping at the south-east side.
    4. How crowded are the tracks/camping during the week, and during the weekend?
    5. Any other tips? Recommendations? Hot Springs? :ear

About us: We're riding 2UP on a 2013 KLR. Taking a tire repair kit/pump, fuel pack, and camping equipment. I'm an experienced motorcycle rider but have never done adventure riding. I do have some experience riding dirt though. Never changed a tire but we have the manual, tools, and are watching tuts on how do it on daily basis.
  7. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roasty - saw ya on SDAR - at least go through one tube change in your garage with the tools you'll be carrying. Glad to hook up with you locally and go over a kit. It really sucks - especially with the mid/big bikes on the trail.

Shoot me a PM here or SDAR if interested.
  8. roasty

roasty n00b

Oddometer:
    TrophyHunter, great thanks for the advice! Going to PM you now.
  9. roasty

roasty n00b

Oddometer:
    Had a great time on this ride! It was our first ever adv ride, went 2 up on a KLR. The only downside to our adventure was that we had to shorten the ride because we running out of time. We meant to leave the house at 9:AM but didn't get riding till 1:00pm. We opted to do the trail backwards, starting from Chula Vista, and ending up north. On the first day we skipped the black line trail from Julian to Butterfield Camp because we were running out of time and didn't want to ride in the dark. On the 2nd we skipped the desert loop near butterfield again because of a late start. It was a good choice because by the time we got to lake Henshaw, there was about an 1.5 hours of light left. Hence we also skipped the last, dirt trail. We made to 15 right at nightfall. The dirt trails between Julian and lake Henshaw were our favorites! Had a great time! We're hooked adv. This was a great intro ride thanks for posting it! We're planning to do it again within a month, but the whole ride this time.

Roasty
  10. roasty

roasty n00b

Oddometer:
    here's a pic from the ride:

Attached Files:

11. robertd440

robertd440 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for posting all this up on here! I'm going to head out , try black canyon rd tomorrow and see how well I can handle my bike there before trying the whole loop. If anyone is ever looking for company on a ride and don't mind a total newb on a F650gs let me know! :evil
  12. tijuana

tijuana Farkling Around

Oddometer:
    I am still waiting on my DMV appt. to get me MC endorsement...
    until then Im riding my XR650R in Tijuana and if any1 wants to cross and ride, let me know.