San Diego Country Back Country Adventure Route

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Xcountry-Rider, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Beetle

Beetle n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm also on a 1200gs, fairly new and looking for someone to ride with both midweek and weekends. I completed the Rawhyde Intro and Basecamp a few months ago and also don't feel to comfortable about being out there solo. What are Black Canyon, Boulder Creek, Otay Truck Trail and Fred Canyon like? Also thinking of heading out to Joshua Tree for an overnight trip during the week in the next week or 2.
  2. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    X-Country, lets connect for a north county ride. I want to take my friend with his DR650 on a ride from the glider port at Palomar to Anza.

Also consider North Main Divide, more dirt options to tempt the LA guys to come South! Joel put on a good nOOb rally in DV last year, I'll ride with him anytime if he can make it down to SD!

Great free camping in Blair Valley. Easy 1.5 mile hike round trip to see some Native American drawings and a neat dry waterfall.

For the San Diego (or OC, Temecula etc) guys looking to join SDAR, it can take a while to get approved for membership (took me and while to be honest) but its definitely not a KTM cult ha. Most of the guys I actually ride with are on Suzuki's (like me) or Hondas. Even if you're not on the forum, check for local rides and don't be afraid to show up at one. I did that before I got on the site. Any ride I post there, you are more than welcome to attend!

Here is a video I made from the Otay Border Fence route which is posted. We were politely asked to turn around when we stopped and I took the panoramic shot where the fence ended. Watch in 720p
    <object height="480" width="853">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sw8vFNsPYOk?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="480" width="853"></object>

Here is a video of my friend on his new to him DR650 slipping on a hill in Grapevine Canyon
    <object height="480" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W_6kPHxwUEA?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="480" width="640"></object>
  3. SoCalPhil

SoCalPhil Pata' De Perro

Oddometer:
    I'm up for some mid week rides as well, please count me in. XR650L rider, no pro but have a good skill level.

Thanks,

Phil
  4. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    1200GS on Mt. Palomar
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j_DE_vsqSZg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j_DE_vsqSZg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
  5. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a Feb over nighter with a camp out in Blair Valley or Butterfield. Butter Field has hot showers and running water with tent sites or primitive cabins or luxury cabins with kitchens and electricity. It also has hot tubs and swimming pools. So we could discuss then if we want to ruff it or go the up scale route. I don't have cases yet for the Tiger. I'm ordering them in Jan and would like to have those before an over night on the bike. We had a group camp there over the Thanksgiving and had a whole tent area to ourselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Black Canyon is paved twisties, Snata Ysabel truck trail is a hard pack dirt road. Boulder Creek is a wide dirt road and so is Otay Truck Trail but is steep in places. Some on here are posting videos of the border road but its not part of the route. I'm looking to do a two day camp weekend ride in Feb if your interested. The toughest road for a 1200GS would be Orriflame Canyon.
  7. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    The Black Canyon I've been on is all easy dirt from NE Ramona to Mesa Grande. Another easy one is Nate Harrison Grade: 1/2 dirt, 1/2 broken pavement and all uphill (or downhill).

A couple of us are riding Otay for the first time tomorrow. Interested to see what we find.
  8. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's a Thread on Santa Ysabel Truck trail.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687970
  9. nakedwaterskier

nakedwaterskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hit me up; I am up for it...just put a new engine in my KLR

Jeffrey
  10. tijuana

tijuana Farkling Around

Oddometer:
    A couple of us are riding Otay for the first time tomorrow. Interested to see what we find.[/QUOTE]
    who, where, what time, 2 gallon stock tank ok? :ear
  11. tijuana

tijuana Farkling Around

Oddometer:
    anyone else headed out or going to Otay Truck Trail right NOW? Let me know, i will meetup.
  12. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    This is the featured map of the month at dualsportmaps.com. Thanks for putting so much effort into it. It looks great!
  13. Beetle

Beetle n00b

Oddometer:
    Rode up Black Canyon this morning to Mesa Grande and found that to be fine. Also rode Nate Harrison Grade a couple of months ago and would like to find some other roads. Thanks for the recommendation. Any other suggestions would be great.
  14. Beetle

Beetle n00b

Oddometer:
    Didn't see the turn off to Santa Ysabel Truck Trail this morning. Must have missed it. Sounds like it's a turn off just after the bridge on the way up Black Canyon Road.
  15. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Did you take any pictures?
  16. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:

Looks like a great route!! :clap

BTW, you do realize that those trailwings had nothing to do with the problems that were going on in that video, right? :deal
  17. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    If you have an andriod phone you can use the dualsportmaps app and mount your phone to the handle bars and it will guide you through the route.
  18. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    zactly.
  19. tijuana

tijuana Farkling Around

Oddometer:
    my Motorola i1 is Android 1.6 and the marketplace says "There are no matches for dualsport or dualsport maps etc...
    I think i need a Rhino.
  20. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Froyo or better required.