San Diego Ride Sunday March 19th

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Kevin and I are meeting at the Shell gas station on Main St., Chula Vista, just off the 805 south at 8:30am-ish on Sunday 3/19. (Weather permitting, as long as it's not heavy rain). Departure from Shell Station by 9:00am. Should be about an 8 hour day, including breakfast or lunch stop.

I must point out, some of this is exploration and some we've ridden before, we don't know the status of certain gates along the border. There is a possibility we will run into a locked gate somewhere, and have to turn back and take pavement. Just a warning to be ready for that.

It's all part of the Adventure !!

Take the 805 south to the Main Street/Auto Park exit (one exit south of Orange Ave.), turn left at Main St., head east under the freeway, the Shell Gas Station is on the right just past the freeway.

We will head over Otay Mountain, check out the old WW II lookout station, do some dirt, then hit the dirt road along the border which crosses many ridges and ends up by Barrett Junction on 94. Then proceed east, mix in some dirt, and head to La Posta Road to do some exploration there off-road. This is suitable for riders on Big Bikes, but riders must have some dirt experience.

From there, we'll do whatever time allows for the way back to SD.

If we get more than a few riders, we'll have to split up into 2 groups....faster, more experienced.......and slower, newer riders. Each group will then be responsible for their own riders. That's the best way to do it if the group gets more than 10 bikes.

If you show up, be prepared with tools, spare tubes, air cartridges, water, to be SELF-SUFFICIENT on the trail.

I have to drive to Vegas Sunday night, so will not being staying out too late in the afternoon.

My cell phone number is 619-818-8746.
  2. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    Ill try to meet you guys at the start and at least share what I know about the gates around Otay. If enough people show up I can help with a slower group.

I'm naving it by Gazetter only this weekend. I sold my GPS to a coworker in Costa Rica earlier this week, figuring I wouldn't need one this weekend... :cry
  3. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Cool !! No need for GPS, we know the route along the border. If there's a second group, we'll have to make sure everyone makes the correct turns along the way.

No worries !! I don't think we'll have many show up since it's such short notice.
  4. mikeyb

mikeyb Just some guy

Oddometer:
    I plan to be there.
  5. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Looks like we may have a small group, if everyone shows. Be prepared for rain !!!
  6. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning 7:30am right now.....Game on !! We'll be there....
  7. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randy & Kevin for the leadership. 9 showed. 1 without knobbies (that would be me) who appreciated all the patience (I was in mud-survival mode on this ride :D):

[​IMG]

mikeyb crosses Cottonwood Creek near the US-Mexico Border:

[​IMG]

Kuchamaa Truck Trail. I've been wanting to do this pass from Marron Valley to Barrett Junction for quite some time now. (can you spot the bikes?) Bravo!!

[​IMG]

Randy posted a full ride report here
  8. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
  9. Trey650

Trey650 Are We There Yet?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for giving me another bookmark to sppend countless hours playing around with. Between Google Earth and this I won't get anything done.:D
  10. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Yea? Wait there's more. You can actually combine both time eating activities into one even bigger one:

You can do overlays in Google Earth!!! Do screen captures of topographic maps or maps from that GIS site for example. You paste those to program that can edit them to JPGs or GIFs. Import those into Google Earth and position them where the Google Earth resolution is poor or you want to suppliment Google Earth with more detail.

Let me know if you want me to email you a sample of an overlay. Otherwise, if you want your life back, move away from the keyboard slowly and pretend you never heard this from me...
    :norton:norton:norton:norton:norton