1. eNewsletter Sign Up

San Diego to Baton Rouge, in January

Discussion in 'Americas' started by GreaseMonkey, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Has anyone ever done this route in January?

I'm wondering about the feasability of doing it, with an emphasis on it being a moderately pleasant experience. 500 miles a day in June is one thing, but 500 miles if one is even borderline uncomfortable is another. I'll have an electric vest and gloves along even if I don't need them but want this to be an enjoyable smell-the-roses trip rather than getting from point A to point B and wanting to get home.

At the Mississippi river I'd be following it North, and I expect that to get cold sometime, but was just wondering about this other stretch.
  2. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I've done it 3 times in jan. It will be cold in the am in new mexico. Other than that, it has been a fun trip.
  3. Gravity

Gravity Ride the world!

Oddometer:
    Ya, what he said. You'll have a good ride. You'll have a great trip. PM me when you get to BR and I'll buy you some coffee.

Best,

Gravity
  4. FreeSky

FreeSky ubergeek

Oddometer:
    It doesn't ever really get cold in BR...maybe a little in February, but you'll be fine in January. Maybe a little wet.

Include me on that PM when you get to BR. I'm new to the forum, but I live here. Can help you get around if you need. :freaky

*wave to Gravity*
  5. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    I did this in a cage earlier this year and eastern CA, just before you drop into the Imperial Valley, was brutally windy. It was scary in a cage. If you can time it to do Texas in one day you will be more efficient. The speed limit is 80 through most of in and there is only about 300 miles that is painfully boring. At 80+, it goes by pretty quickly. I wanted to do it on my bike but I was worried about the weather as it was a work trip. I didn't have an wiggle room at all to sit out a nasty storm. The guys at Hebert BMW in BR were great. As luck would have it, I'm cagin' it there again this December, (with family) and I'll try and give an update on the conditions. Should be doable if you have some flexibility.
  6. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
  7. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are riding across a high plateau with a couple passes and some stretches of very high elevations, so there is always the possibility of a blizzard in Jan, so you need to keep tabs on weather. But if you have some flexilbility and can wait out bad weather for a day or three, you shouldn't have a problem. It will probaby be very cold at spots.

Smell the roses? Given that you probably won't be able to do much exploring into the mountains and will be on the superslab most of the time, I'm not sure it would be that much fun, but that's up to you.

- Mark
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    What he said.

100 miles in each direction of The Divide on 10 in So NM can bite you.
    I remember having to push the GS out into the sunlight to sit for a while when in beautiful Gallup before it would start one morning.