San Jose Ca. >>>> St. Louis Mo.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by silverbandit1, Feb 3, 2008.

1. silverbandit1

silverbandit1 Adventure Dreaming..

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of heading out to St.Louis MO. and hooking up with my bro and his family around April 1st or so. I have never been farther east than Salt Lake with something other than a plane. I have about 10-14 days of time off. Any pointers :ear It would be the longest bike trip that I have ever taken :D
  2. smokinjoe

smokinjoe hippie kicker

Oddometer:
    So, what are you riding? Are you planning on riding 2-lane roads or super slab? I also live in MO. and take rides out to CA. every 5 yrs. or so.

I-70 is the most direct route and it's decent highway. You can pick it up by going through Las Vegas and taking I-15 into Utah .I-80 through Salt Lake sucks. There's a really long stretch of highway across the salt flats that is very dismal and boring. I'll never do that again!:lol2 It's been a long time since I've travelled the lower inter-state highways, so I don't really have any idea what condition they're in. They surely can't be any worse than I-5 through CA.:lol3
  3. silverbandit1

Oddometer:
    I am most likely riding my 1200 Bandit

As far as the route I was thinking of Super Slabbing 80 / 29 / 70 with detours to interesting sights on the way out. On the way back I was either going to head north or south depending on the weather conditions in those areas.

How is the weather in the mid west at the beginning of April??
  4. Hayden#69

Hayden#69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Run up to San Fran and catch 80 up around Vallejo. Head out to Sacramento and Catch 50 hwy. You can take 50 hwy all the way to MO. But in Kansas this is what I would do. Head into Hutchinson and catch 96 hwy to Wichita. Catch 54 out of Wichita and across into MO. This will take you through some of the Flint Hills of Kansas East of Wichita. Plus in MO, 54 will take you through the Lake of the Ozarks. 54 curves up through the middle of MO and hooks up with 70 and on into St Loui.

I did 50 Hwy from Wichita to Sac Town a few years ago. It was fun and way more interesting than 70. Its not interstate for sure but a neat hwy all the same.

You can actually get on 50 in Sac Town and never get off of it till Maryland. Pretty neat:evil

Hayden
  5. silverbandit1

Oddometer:

Thanks, I'll check that route out.

Now how is the weather usually that time of year???
  6. Hayden#69

Hayden#69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It could be wet and stormy. We are in the Alley baby. Tornado Alley that is. Storms Rolling through here in the spring can be intense. But they go in waves and can only be 30 to 40 miles wide and clear on both sides. Nasty one day and glorious the next. Spring is just a coin toss for us. Our weather patterns over the last few years have been crazy. Heck it was 70 here yesterday and sunny. Today 29 and snowing:huh Thats Kansas for ya:lol3

Hayden