Sand riding practice - near Chicago

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by chisox, Feb 14, 2021.

1. chisox

chisox n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Did a quick search and could not find a thread so apologies if this has been asked before.

I am new to ADV and need to really raise my confidence while on sand riding. I have been looking at some parks but wanted to ask those more experienced and in Chicago if there is an area (maybe IN dunes?) where a new rider can practice sand riding in a day trip.
  2. DIRTLIFE757

DIRTLIFE757 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in SE Indiana and have made it up to Badlands Off-Road Park a handful of times for their XC races. You can definitely find fun riding there and a lot of sand. Might be a good place to start....
  3. chisox

chisox n00b

Oddometer:

Thank you! I found their site and sent them an email.
    DIRTLIFE757 likes this.
  4. Will_GO!

Will_GO! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out bong recreational area.

PM me if you ever want to go. I'm in Chicago.

What do you ride? I'm on a ktm 990
    chisox likes this.
  5. DIRTLIFE757

Oddometer:
    I
    I don’t usually make it up near the lake too much, but always like to check out some new places to ride.
  6. DIRTLIFE757

Oddometer:
    If/when you make it down to my corner of Indiana check out my South East Indiana Loop. Tracks are posted up on our “central” board. I have been researching some of the Great Lake loops. A lot I haven’t seen up your way....
    Will_GO! likes this.
  7. monjorrow

monjorrow Young n Dumb

Oddometer:
    Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mi is only ~4hrs away from Chicago. All the sand you could ever want/need.
    S391 and chisox like this.
  8. chisox

chisox n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the suggestions! Will go! will def take you up on that offer. I did a bit of the TWAT last year and was doing fine until sand, I realized I was out out of depth and after falling 3 times with no injuries or damage. I decided to count my blessing and detoured that leg.

I ride a 2015 bonneville that I put some TKC80's and removed parts to reduce weight.
    Will_GO! likes this.
  9. Will_GO!

Will_GO! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the twat for the second time last year with a few friends who have never done sand before. It's definitely a learned skill. You need 50/50 for them, it makes it easier to ride.

Bong has a nice little sand patch that we went back to after the twat to train. It is located on the Wisconsin/Illinois border, about 1 hour away from Chicago.

Let me know if you will attempt the twat again this year. I may do it again.
    S391 likes this.