Sandblast 2017

Discussion in 'Racing' started by GoGoGavin41, Aug 15, 2016.

1. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Unlike 2016, this year we won't be having a baby, I don't plan on having knee surgery, and I should have a working bike. Sounds like I don't have any excuses not to participate. I'll probably need a new rear tire by then. Maybe it'll be a good excuse to finally get a steering damper for the 990...

I've got it on my calendar for March 4 2017. I think that's plenty of time to get all the registration and licensing stuff figured out. Living in SC certainly gives me plenty of opportunity to practice riding sand in the meantime as well.
  2. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    Will this be your first time competing in the Sandblast Rally?
    I'm looking forward to it as well.
  3. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Yep, first Sandblast and first competitive motorsports event. I was about a week away from signing up last year when all the aforementioned stuff hit the fan.
  4. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Should be there again, and hope to see you there! Do you have a bike smaller than the 990? It's definitely doable on a 990, but once the cars run through, especially being your first event you'll be much happier on something smaller and lighter!
  5. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Hope to see you too - will you be on the big bike?

Only have the 990 right now. Well, I do have access to a 1986 KDX 200, but that could blow up at any minute haha.

I have a pretty good amount of deep sand riding experience on the 990 and would almost say that I like it (huh?). A lot of it in SoCal and have been doing a lot of deep sand single track here in the Charleston area. Looking at video from previous years makes me feel comfortable that I could keep it at a good clip [for me anyway]. I've never really felt an absolute need for a steering damper, but I'm sure people put them on there for a reason.
  6. godwinmt

Oddometer:
    Will probably be on the 450 unless I'm in crazy good shape and think I can wrestle the SE around.

On the big bikes a damper will help, but there are many people that do extremely well and don't run them. The biggest challenge on a big bike is that it's not like you're running a virgin course every stage...you're coming through the stages multiple times from different directions, and the cars tend to leave some fantastic ruts that throw everyone all around. It's definitely one of the best bikes for the super long straights though! Maybe @AJ990R could chime in with some advise from Sandblast/MO on his 990 this year!

If you get a bit of time, bringing the 990 up to Harrisville, NY for Black River Stages this next month would be a fantastic first event on a bit more forgiving surface for that large of a bike. Already have a couple of big bikes registered so you'll have some competition too!
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  7. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    As of now I plan to race the Sandblast Rally next year too... but stuff hits the fan on a regular basis around here.
  8. AJ990R

AJ990R motorcycle guy

Oddometer:
    Out of the two rallies I've done.....I'd have to say the Sandblast Rally was definitely the better one:DGreat stages. Great atmosphere. Sold out event! Helluva party after it all :-)
    Did Magnum Opus too...on the 990

I think you need to have a little experience riding sand, and you should be all good for Sandblast....on a big bike
    the roads definitely get torn up/rutted from the cars.....I remember telling myself not to concentrate on the ruts & just ride through'em.....big bikes cut their own rut!!
    my legs were sore from standing & squeezing the bike with'em
    the stages were not too tight, but some of the sandy 90 degree turns can be a bitch, i just took it easy & slowed down
    a couple of the stages were so long, everyone said they were just cruising at the end to finish because no one could hold the bars anymore!
    passed several riders due to the big bikes can stretch their legs in a few spots!!
    This was fun racing
    your not racing handlebar to handlebar with anyone.....ride your own ride, plenty of room to pass if bike catches you

Also this last Sandblast had basically a full practice day before the event, think his name was Bill Conger or something that ran it. That would be a nice warm-up for the event
    I didn't do that....trailered my bike down after it set for 4 months in the garage & went racing:fpalm

I want to do it again!
    planning on going to COTA 2017 GP race with some friends....think this may interfere
    [​IMG]
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  9. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Lighting - I understand there's a decent chance of doing at least some riding in the dark.

Should I:
    A.) Upgrading existing bike mounted lighting (probably get a high output light bar to replace or add to two rigid duallys)
    B.) Get a helmet light
    C.) Both (ouch my wallet)
  10. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:

Last year the sun was still shinning when we rolled into town after the last stage.
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  11. godwinmt

Oddometer:
    Yeah, last 2 years it's finished for the bikes in the daylight. I know in the past it's finished well after dark though, but I wouldn't put most of my effort for it in lighting...

I've got a pair of Rigid D2s on my 450, a spot and a flood, coupled with a pair of Task Racing helmet lights. The bike mounted lights do a good job reaching out far while the helmet lights help for cornering. I think your best bang for the buck is probably with the helmet lights for Sandblast...throw them on at the last service and roll.

If you're looking to take the plunge and upgrade the 990's lights, I'd highly recommend CJDesigns LED kit that AJ ran for Magnum Opus this year...holy daylight.

[​IMG]
  12. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    It's encouraging that it sounds like I won't have to rely on lights, but I might switch my set up just because I want to. The only problem is $$$ - just spent a bunch of money on guns and stuff haha. Maybe I'll sell my existing Rigids and get a bar and a helmet light. I was eyeing the Tasks and Cyclopes helmet lights. I think if I drop +$600 on the bike between then and now it'll be on suspension...
  13. Mofo Flake

Mofo Flake Incompetent off-road Supporter

Oddometer:
    First post, and first rally for me.

I've seen the MotoRally guys a few times at magnum opus and black river events, and have been very jealous every time. I recently got back into riding (after a 3 year timeout from my wife) and decided that dual sport or adventure riding was more my speed. Before my timeout, I had 7 years or street riding on a VTX, and about two dozen various unintentional up close encounters with nature on a 99 RM250R.

I've convinced a riding buddy of mine to join in the fun as well. We have been training with what time we have to get physically ready for the event, I'm fat and slow, but I'm also stubborn. My concern is getting passed by the sweep car!

As far as the bike, I have a 2013 Beta 520 RS.
    As far as gear, I've been slowly collecting gear I would wear on a TAT / 50CC type ride.

I wanted to see if I could get some experienced guys input on what is needed on this...

The regulations say front and back armor, but the rally U says just back armor? What is really acceptable for this? I have a Badlands Pro Jacket, It has the front and back pads in it. Is this acceptable to pass tech?

as far as boots and helmet, they seem pretty clear on those.
  14. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    Klim Badlands is acceptable. Because weather happens this combo saved me on several occasions.

As you said helmet and boots are pretty straight forward. However they are very fussy the helmet is somewhat up to date. Boot must be moto cross type.

One reason I like rallymoto is you don't have to be in great shape. For the most part most of the stages can be run sitting. :1drink

In competition stage rallies, you have one job, DON'T GET LOST. :lol3
  15. Mofo Flake

Mofo Flake Incompetent off-road Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks for the reply.

Do the jacket and pants need to zip together, or is that just for the tarmac events?

I am no stranger to the rally scene. I've been crew chief for the local Chattanooga team for 2 years now. This past year we were running Rally America.

I know it is pretty early to plan this stuff, but I'm a planner by nature. Is anyone from relatively close to the Chattanooga to Gadsden area also running this event? I might have room to haul a bike, person, crew, gear, etc...
  16. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    Jacket and pants do not need to be zipped together.

Knee/shin guards seem to be checked too. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
  17. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
  18. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  19. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. Any other informed tips regarding regs? Will my duct taped turn signals and non-functional rear brake light switch pass inspection? The front brake turns the light on...
  20. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

They check turn signals, horn, running lights, brake lights, head lights etc. I'd keep them uncovered. It has to be 100% legal in your state. If your state does not require turn signals then you don't have to have them.