Santiago Sunday Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KillerPriller, Sep 25, 2004.

1. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christi and i are heading up Santiago on Sunday morning if anyone wants to join us. We attack from the OC side, Silverado then over to the Lookout for breakfast.

Sorry for the late notice. Just decided about an hour ago.

nk
  2. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    We took a nice little ride up Santiago on Sunday. It was a bit warmer than I expected, but was fun just the same.

Got to the peak before we really had a chance to pull the camera out. Here is a couple pics of the view. This one is Westward toward the Ocean. The peak in the far background is Catalina Island.
    [​IMG]

Southward towards Ortega Highway, Palomar, and Camp Pendleton.
    [​IMG]

Some of the antennae on the top.
    [​IMG]

So what can I say? We got up early with the intent to ride from our house, over the peak, then continue to Ortega for breakfast at the Lookout. Normally this parking lot would have been full of bikes, but Cal-Trans had it closed all weekend for repairs. As it was, there was one Capo and a car.
    [​IMG]

Stopped in this grove to check on a bush. Managed to snap a pic of Christi while she strikes a Wonder Woman pose.
    [​IMG]

Pine cone (Sugar or Digger Pine, not sure which).
    [​IMG]

Christi was keeper of the kamera all day so most of the pics are of me (or random stuff).

Tire looks ok.
    [​IMG]

Boot has a twig stuck in the sole…gatta get that out of there…
    [​IMG]

Yep, that bush looks ok to me. Good thing we stopped and checked.
    [​IMG]

Well, that’s Christi and Nick’s ride report from Santiago Peak. I hope you enjoyed it. We sure did.
    [​IMG]
  3. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had a good time. I didn't see your post until Sunday afternoon or I would have tried to tag along. As it was I went up Saturday. I didn't hear that Ortega was closed so I went all the way down there so that I could try riding the other way only to have to ride all the way back to the other side. I've only ridden all the way over one time then I took Ortega back down. I'm not that great of a rider so I work real hard and tire myself out, so going both ways may be too much but then again I felt pretty good last time out even with haveing to pick the bike up once (slow uphill silt stall fall). Looking at your bikes I probably would have slowed you down some so maybe I should practice some before taging alone or better yet you could just leave me to go my own pace and we could meet up at the other end. Anyway I'd love to meet up with you guys for a ride sometime.
  4. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MrMike we'd be glad to meet up with you. Speed is not a big deal to me/us. We stop and wait for eachother so we don't have to hang in a dust cloud but we never truly get seperated either. Some of those drop offs are way to steep for me to get too balzy. Shoot me a PM next time you're up to going and we'll hook up. The weather is just about perfect this time of year.

-luv
  5. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    I, too, missed your post, but would like to tag along another time. I don't have the equip that you guys have either. But could a GS make that ride? Transalp? Are all the pads and gear mandatory? Or could I get by with jeans, riding jacket, boots and street helmet?

Another question: I am trying to find the right bike for my SO. How tall is Kristi and what does she ride?

TIA,
    Bill
  6. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nick has done this same ride on the GS and yes the bigger bikes can make it. They just require more work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gear/Pads is your own discretion. I figure as long as I have it I'll wear it. It's a big fire road. Nothing to terribly challenging if you ride it slow. A few rocky parts on an incline. Nothing to terrifying ;)

We took the XRs because while GSs can do it they take more work.

Bill - I (Christi) am 5'8 with a 32in inseam. I ride a blue and white GS.
    [​IMG]
  7. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    I think that the first part could be done on a street bike (though not by me of course). After that it would depend on your skill level. I went up the first part 2up on my Tiger with no problem, then went back down. I have a DRZ400S that I use for harder things. I would think that a decent rider could do the hard bits on any big DS bike. But for me, a shorter guy, the big bike through this stuff would be too much to handle. As far as gear I've used my street gear since I want to feel safe on the road getting there. Jeans might not be the best protection but thats up to you. I use BMW summer pants that have knee protectors built in. I feel that they are light and cool enough to ride in but will give me protection in low speed getoffs. I've done 3 very low speed falls on dirt with no marks on the pants or my knee's so I like them.

Does your SO know how to ride already? If not and all she wants is an around town/trail bike then something like a Suzuki DR200 Or Yamaha XT225 would be good as they are street legal so she can go on all open trails and dirt roads. If she is bigger and knows how to ride I like my DRZ400S. I've lowered it a bit for me but it works really good as an all around bike. I'm 5'6" and couldn't even get a Honda XR650 off the side stand so I went with the DRZ. Some people like BMW F650GS's for their SO's as they are pretty easy to handle on road and can do limited offroad stuff (but then again you probably already know that). I didn't really care for mine but that was just me.

Anybody have an Idea when we can get together? I'm pretty flexable.
  8. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I worked my keester off all week and am just now getting a chance to catch up.

Its not a question of weather a GS can make this ride, its a question of how many times would you mind dropping your bike before you get pissed at me for leading you to believe it can be done.... I did it once and have never even considered doing it again.

Having said that, most of the ride is very easy, but there are parts that are challenging. Challenging in my book consists of steep, loose rocks, and plenty of silty sand with a 600lb bike. Other than that, its a nice ride.

If you are interested in taking the GS, i recomend going from Silverado to the Corona side. The inclines are more mellow and the road is more predictable.

As for getting together, lets do it. Christi and i are riding GS's up Ortega Highway on Sunday morning with some friends. Usual routine is Oso-Antonio Chevron at 7am depart at 7:30. If you are late, just head up Ortega and meet us at the Lookout. You will find us having breakfast.
    nk

GS Parking only
    [​IMG]

Good morning sunshine!!!
    [​IMG]

See you there?
  9. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody for the thoughts on a bike for Mary. She is an experienced rider, but she is terribly indecisive. Hate to buy something and have her hate it... I have experience with this. It is baaad.

Oso-Antonio Chevron? Can anybody offer more specifics? Love to join if I can find you all. Coming down from LAX area.

TIA,
    bb
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chevron @ Oso and Antonio
    28632 Oso Pkwy
    Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688-5540

Is that Starbucks Open there yet? Are they finishing the interior of that place with a Q-tip? The sign oout there has been teasing me for months.

I'm going to miss out this time. I'm working and I know I'm not anywhere near ready for uneven ground riding. Let alone a dirty challenge.

I do need to plan a cadillac dirt tarmac-guy ride some day. My criteria is that a dirt ride for me must be negotiable by an out of shape fat old man, on a 600 pound+ pig, with little dirt skill and a bad flipper.

Suggestions?
  11. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:

I wasnt planning on doing any offroading anyway. Just our normal Sunday Morning ride for breakfast. 'cmon and join us Mr Head.

Directions?. 5 south to Oso, then up a ways to the Chevron station on rt side. 241 south will get you there as well. Im unable to figure out how to put a mapquest image up, but the address Mr Head posted is correct.

Bill, you are comming from LA? thats a long ride so early in the morning. Will be glad to meet you.

nk
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    OK, twist my arm.... I'll blow off work till afternoon.

I hate being here.

Oh, I spent hundreds at the store today. Didn't even begine to fill even one pannier!

I bet I could carry a case of good beer in there with ice!

Put the pit bar-b-que in the hot side, and I'd have a picnic!
  13. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys:

Enjoyed the ride today. Got home in a nick of time. Sorry I could not languish and enjoy the ride and company more. Next time.

Nick...I was hoping that you got off of Angeles Crest alive. Seemed that there was one PO'd Harley rider in that mile-long pack.

Let's do it again soon,
    Bill B
  14. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
  15. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think about how late you would have been had we stayed behind that pack of Hardleys!

It still irks me to think that those guys really expected slower traffic to stay behind them. Seriously folks....

Great ride, lots of fresh air. glad you could make it Bill. Thanks for the Asslesss Chaps link, but im going to have to pass for now.

[​IMG]
    nice mug.

nk
  16. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Great ride NIck and Christi!

I had a good time. Even work wasn't so bad after that.

Then after work I rode out to Corona and saw my buddy Paul and his wife Jackie. They showed me the photo show from their trip to Utah aboard the land shark, also known as a large full boat tourer. We gotta go out there and ride around some. Incredible photos too!

Then on my way home I lit up the rear of the GS, on some paint and got sideways. Man that is a kick with those big monkey bars! I am so much more of a hooligan on thins thing than the Blade it isn't funny. I find I spend a lot of time looking for places to get sideways and wheelie...

Is that wrong?
  17. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Scary Hat

Scary Hat Consigliere

Oddometer:
    Since I'm not a member of the Montgomery Street Motorcycle club, I don't get
    to go on alot of group rides. I've got a 2000 R1150GS. Will travel for a great
    group ride like this. I'm in the SF Bay area, but would be willing to head down
    south!

Give me a heads-up for the next ride!

Tom
  19. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow - I wouldnt consider this ride worth coming from the SF area for. It was just a few hours long, although we'll def post next time we do it!

These two rides are both this weekend and they look interesting although I've never ridden with the group:
    http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=21575

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=5;t=18642;st=40

They are at least a little farther north.
  20. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom:

Seems there are dozens of group rides every weekend in SF. Surprised that you are not hitchin' yer pony to one of them.

I was a newbie to this group and they were great to be with; yet, they gave me grief for riding all the way down from Los Angeles (45 miles). Your pre-ride ride would be more like 450 miles...but I say it is worth it. I'll ride to SF for a day's worth of work; why not ride down for a day's worth of ridin'???

bb