Santiago Sunday Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KillerPriller, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    You said it Nick. I did that ride to Santiago Peak when my GS was new. Dead lifting the bike a dozen times was a chore all right. But it was also very fun to just gas-it-and-hold-on up some of the less challenging twin-track sections.

By staying too long and underestimating how long it would take to get back (ok, I was lost in the dark), I ended up being up there at night a couple of times. Indian Truck Trail was the entrance I took. The up side to the darkness that was that when I rode around a corner 'on the outside of the outside' wheel track, I could not see what I was inches away from. The drop off the side was out of sight, and out of mind.

I got stuck one night on a little ridge path or 'saddle' between two hills near Modjeska Peak and I could not climb either path without crashing. Hell, I did not even make it down the hill to the ridge path without crashing three times in the soft dirt and softball-sized rocks. Climbing out was well outside my abilities. But I was becoming expert at dragging the bike back down after failed attempts.

I did not know where I was in the forest but I could see Lake Matthews when the sun came up. Yep, I slept in the dirt wearing jeans and tennis shoes in 45 degree weather. Some time around 4am this little ridge saddle route came to be known as Jim's Nook. Sign the guestbook if you visit.

It was too cold to sleep very well so a couple of times I walked up one of those paths just to kill time. After falling a couple of times when climbing the path on foot I was tired enough to close my eyes for a few minutes. I was wearing my helmet and had an unfolded topo map over my legs like a 'newspaper blanket'. It was freaking cold up there at 5000 feet in the fall of the year.

I was 'rescued' in the morning when a guy on his way to antenna maintenance on Santiago Peak came by in a truck and gave me a ride out. I left my bike up there over a second night until I could get another ramp and some help to get the bike into a truck. It was big adventure. Sometime I would like to rent or borrow a small street-legal enduro and go back up there to spend the night proper. That ridge path was really great place.

- Jim
  2. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, were back to the topic at hand....

...pigs in dirt.

So, lets plan that ride. Criteria: Pig friendly; Starbucks; knobbies optional (britches mandatory, Nick); en-route breakfast destination; do-able by older fat guy; en-route lunch destination; no survival gear required (like chain saws or Vicadan); en-route dinner destination; lots of bail-outs; well marked; cream pie, banana or Boston (britches mandatory, Nick).

Joking aside, we must have a group of people, at least one GS, food, some dirt, and a good time. Cream pie is a nice-to-have.

Mary and I once rode 2-up along the the old road to Bakersfield. Mostly broken pavement. There seemed to be some offshoots from that road.

Other ideas? Dates? The weekend of the 22nd looks good to me.

Bill B
  3. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    U interested in making a two day-er out of it? Leave Fri PM head north. Maybe Tvaldriz can meet up heading South. Spend Sat playing around in the centeral coast then home sunday?

You thinking one long day run? Maybe the ridge route? Was the 5 before the five was in place and hasnt been maintained in 40 years?

-luv
  4. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure, I am up for a one- or two-nighter. Day ride would be fine, too. Remember, we are Americans, of course, more/bigger is better.

bb
  5. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with Bill on this.
    I subscribe to the GOldwong motto of, "Eat to Ride, Ride to Eat"...

And certainly no survival gear.

Casual entertainment...
  6. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Mary has made some suggestions about where to go...I think she is trying to get rid of me. Some ranch in the high desert, has great camping and hot springs. We'll carry in some banana creme pie.

I'll get some info.

Bill
  7. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dont worry about it unless they offer you a jogging suit, new pair of sneakers, and a fresh cup of cool-aid.

Long ride, on a random road thats actualy the long way to somewhere i have never been and would otherwise never want to be? Yep, count me in.

Christi (my darling ride planner) will you be so kind as to do the planning???

nk
  8. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I can wash my hands of this, too...Bowen Ranch/Deep Creek Hot Springs...outside of Lancaster or Victorville or some such place. Mary has some info and a map but no phone. Off the 15...Lucerne Valley to Central to Octillo Way....

I am headed out. Anybody care to do some research?

Bill
  9. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL!!!! I never tire of hearing this story Poolside.
  10. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    I found some Deep Creek Hot Springs info. Looks cool, but does not strike my fancy. If you google Bowen Ranch and Deep Creek Hot Springs you get a lot of nudist links. My favorite was the faerie gathering there. Don't get me wrong; I am all for skinny dipping and have nothing against faeries, but I don't want to lose sight of the ride criteria which includes fat old men and eating...

OTOH, there is a District 37 Dualsport ride that Sunday the 24th. It says the 129-mile ride is 75% single-track, which begs the question: are there Starbucks along the route? Doubtful, and can a we handle 99 miles of single track on our GS's?

I'll keep looking. Christi, I would certainly welcome your help or others' ideas.

bb
  11. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Starbucks???? did i hear someone mention Starbucks on the route?

count me in!!
  12. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I was at the old ridge route last weekend and it was closed to the public due to fire hazard
  13. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the BLM site earlier. Indeed, the Ridge Route is closed as are most roads thru Angeles Forest, except the heavily travelled paved ones.

So, new approach. A buddy has a cabin near Lake Isabella. What say we "camp" there and ride out of there into the southern Sierra.

Have fun at El Mirage, Nick. Were it not for a wedding (not my own) I'd be riding up there to join you. Just for the sake of knowing, where will you be camped...may try to break away in the AM for a visit.

bb
  14. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Could you post a link to that site I could be very helpfull and could help avoid the dissapointment I felt when I got to the Ridge Route last weekend
  15. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Here ya go, Mr. Minor

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/

I was wrong. It was not the BLM page; it was the Forest Service page. Go to Current Conditions. A list there will alert you to the closings.

One downside: there is only one map that shows what is open. So, unless you know the roads pretty well, it is hard to tell what they are talking about.

Bill B
  16. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link its very helpfull I noticed that if you go to current conditions and then click on road Conditions it gives some better detail