1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Sapa Vietnam - recommendations for one day motorcycle tour

Discussion in 'Asia' started by RangeRoad, Jan 24, 2017.

1. RangeRoad

RangeRoad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be travelling to Vietnam next month with my girlfriend and we are hoping to go riding one day in Sapa. Anyone know of a reliable tour operator who will guide us for the day? We would likely ride two up so the bike would have to be large enough for both of us. We want a good overview of the area with lots of information on the history and the people that live their. Not looking for highly technical riding, just a good sightseeing tour.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
  2. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Wife and I went two up on a wave 110 and it was fine for us, I suppose it depends on how big/heavy you are. Didnt need a guide just did a bit of reading. Smaller bikes can be hired just about anywhere.
    Our was about $6 us a day but that was about 6 years ago. I think someone in town also had a Ural outfit for hire.
    It's a tourist town there'll be plenty of options.
  3. RangeRoad

Oddometer:
    Thanks gavo, that's awesome info. We didn't want to book ahead for only one day of riding. We would prefer a guide for the day if they are available, we want to learn about the area and I find that a good guide is always worth the extra cost because of all the unique information they have to share. Do you remember if any of the outfits in town offered guides and rentals?

4. Dakar Moto

Dakar Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a great group called Flamingo for a 10 day. 6 of us, Jap bikes, well kept, GREAT service and guide. I ride a DR400 but they have larger...

Good English speaking - run by mate from NZ I believe...

http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. RangeRoad

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dakar, looks like they are based out of Hanoi but I have contacted them to see if they have anyone working further North in Sapa.

6. Dakar Moto

Dakar Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got cha- if you are taking the train or whatever and will be in Sapa options are different. Know that some of the back roads get real muddy depending on the time of year. Flamingo set us up with bikes in the South (they came down by train) and we road with our guide for 10 days North to end in Hanoi.
    Have a great journey!

7. RangeRoad

Oddometer:
    Well if they can't hook us up then hopefully they can provide a recommendation. Aparently it is new years so they are out of office for a few days. Thanks again for the recommendation!

8. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    If you are not just doing the Sapa area "offroad Vietnam" are a company I have used. Not the cheapest but very professional and Ah Wu is great to deal with.
    RangeRoad likes this.
  9. 13ExplorerXC

13ExplorerXC Throttle>Bottle

Oddometer:
    SaPa is nice. You can rent a Chinese knockoff scooter for $6-7 a day just about anywhere in VN. Keep to the right. Trucks, buses, cars, and livestock have priority on the roads in that order. If you're riding on QL4D you'd be better off with a manual bike for engine braking as the road is steep with some sharp corners. I rode two-up on a Honda Future 125 on those roads. It's not easy riding. Also stay off the road at night--it's dangerous as hell.
  10. RangeRoad

Oddometer:
    We didn't end up getting a bike in Sapa, it was chilly and wet which wouldn't have been much fun for us. We did rent scooters elsewhere on our holiday though. We saw firsthand how dangerous the QL4D is though. On our way down the mountain just before dark a small bus ran off the road and rolled down into the forest. I don't know the result but we were just hoping everyone was OK.

11. 13ExplorerXC

13ExplorerXC Throttle>Bottle

Oddometer:
    The busses and trucks are insane. No care in the world for other people on the road. Sadly you see the Buddhist temples on the side of the roads to remember the dead. Ride safely.